The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I'm getting fed up with incidents like this!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm getting fed up with incidents like this!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted April 06, 2014 02:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, wouldn't you think a fucking Chief of Police would know better? It has to be the infamous "sound shot" type of deal, how the hell do you shoot a turkey by just figuring his location by a GOBBLE?

Second, why is it I have never heard of anything similar happening on a coyote stand? Kind of similar, you sit down wearing camo, make animal sounds, etc. What is it about turkey hunting that seems to make it so dangerous? I'm pissed off!

SOUTHEAST
Police chief shoots, kills best friend during hunting trip
Published April 06, 2014FoxNews

The police chief of a small Tennessee town fatally shot his life-long best friend in what appears to be a tragic hunting accident, according to local authorities.

Monteagle Police Chief Virgil McNeese was turkey hunting Thursday near the Alabama border when he accidentally shot his hunting partner, WRCB reported.

The two men were hunting in a pasture in Richard City well known by locals as a prime spot to hunt wild turkeys when the shooting occurred.

A chopper airlifted Stanley “Ramsay” Whitten to Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga. Doctors removed him from life support Friday when it was determined he was brain dead. Whitten's son, who reportedly was on the turkey hunt, ran to a nearby home to get help after the shooting, WRCB said.

"Our hearts are with the families and everyone affected; it was a terrible thing to see," Adam Higgins told the station. Higgins lives across the street from the pasture and heard the fatal shot.

WRCB reported that Marion County District Attorney Mike Taylor said it was too early to say whether McNeese could face criminal charges. McNeese has been a member of the Monteagle Police Department for 19 years. He has been the chief since 2006.

The station also said that a cousin of Whitten had only good things to say about McNeese, but questioned how a veteran law enforcement officer could shoot and kill his best friend.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2014 03:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
While you are pondering the question, let me offer an opinion.

I think predator hunters are by far the most qualified people in the field. No one else knows weapons, velocities and already has become proficient at other facets of the shooting sports even before they start chasing coyotes.

Generally speaking, predator hunters are pretty good at what they do, far more expert than squirrel hunters, duck hunters and, (my God) DEER HUNTERS!

So, pat yourselves on the back for being at the top of the game!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2014 04:14 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand how this could have been an accident. In Missouri, you are only allowed to shoot Toms or Jakes with a visible beard. No hens, unless they have a beard. Generally turkeys are taken under 40 yards and probably closer to 30 where I hunt. Shotgun only and nothing larger than #4 birdshot allowed. Maybe the rules are different there, but accident, I don't believe it. He may not have premeditated shooting his friend, they aren't too specific. I suppose he might have tripped and fell with a loaded shotgun and killed the guy, but for someone with his presumed knowledge, authority, and well, Jedi mastery of firearms that all LEO's have after a few weeks of training, this is inexcusable.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2014 05:33 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
without the full story, I'll just say that there's lots of possibilities other than shooting at a sound source. Crossing fence, falling down, dropped weapon, and although this must not have happened at a vehicle, I've also heard the excuse of laying a loaded gun across a front seat of the vehicle and having a discharge. What ever the reason of "accident" it sucks to be in his shoes and he'll live with it forever. Sucks...to be in his shoes right now. With his training and occupation, sure seems to me that he'd have known better than to do whatever wrong it was that he did.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2014 06:24 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be good to hear about the details on this one...

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2014 08:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled this story and the lack of specific information is amazing. I clicked on a dozen accounts and they are all the same. Beyond they were friends and one guy was the chief of police and he was declared brain dead, absolutely NO information about the circumstances. Just that it occurred in a popular pasture.

That's it, nothing!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2014 11:05 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Second, why is it I have never heard of anything similar happening on a coyote stand? Kind of similar, you sit down wearing camo, make animal sounds, etc. What is it about turkey hunting that seems to make it so dangerous? I'm pissed off!

Quick answer—failure to properly identify the target--unless there is something else nefarious we don't know about.

The last two fatalities here in Kansas have involved teenagers turkey hunting. The last one happened where a young man shoots his cousin thinking he is a turkey—I think that happened this time last year in NE Kansas.

I just helped with a hunter ed class on Saturday, and our pre-test includes a question on what is the most common accident in turkey hunting. It is surprising how many people miss it.

We also do a trail walk with Shoot/Don’t Shoot situations and it is also surprising how many students ‘Shoot’ the turkey in our scenario and don’t see our camo’d up ‘hunter’ in the background—a very teachable moment.

Our previous HE coordinator coined the phrase ‘Load your brain before you load your gun’—too bad many don’t do that.

[ April 08, 2014, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it is also surprising how many students ‘Shoot’ the turkey in our scenario and don’t see our camo’d up ‘hunter’ in the background
That's an interesting scenario.

I once shot a coyote that was standing 5-10 feet behind my buddy. No way he could see him, and it was obvious he wasn't getting any closer and also obvious he could bolt and be gone very quickly. Richard was off to my nine o' clock, less than 50 yards from me; at the time and now, I don't consider it to be a safety violation.

At least I knew where he was. I have hunted with guys that don't seem to think THAT is important, but I sure as hell DO! They wander off and hunker down while I'm putting the caller out and by the time I get to my position, I have no idea where they are and they make no attempt to stand up or wave or show me where they are. Bothers the hell out of me! I can't think of anything worse than to get shot with a high power rifle.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2014 06:20 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree w booger.. You have to identify your target.

I had a close call one time when archery hunting off a water hole. I walked into the water hole with a blind. I was hunting deer or javelina if one came in..

I setup the blind and settled in. After waiting for 20 minutes, Off to my left about 30 yards was a shadow moving under a mesquite tree. It looked like an animal that was bedded down and It was acting like a javelina shifting in the dirt.

Well, turned out it wasn't . It was fuckin hunter under the tree! Some bow hunter allowed me to walk right pass him and set up right in front of him.

Once I figured it out, I asked him why the hell he did not say anything. He answered, " I just wanted to see what you were going to do."

Dumb ass.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 03:55 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
About 15yrs ago, I was bowhunting a nice buck out on the Island. One afternoon, decided to drag a Flambeau doe decoy into the woods with me. Had it set up just inside the field edge, and I was in my climber covering the pinch point at the corner of the field...
About 60 minutes before dark, I watched another bowhunter stalk my decoy. It was State Land, so I really had no recourse, but to stay quiet and hope he eased on through the area. Well, he caught sight of my decoy, and went "full retard"...

His brain had him absolutely convinced it was a real-life deer! And this was a pretty shitty replica, if you ever saw one!!!
He stalked to within 30 yds (terribly, mind you), drew his bow & proceeded to shoot & miss my decoy, positioned in the tall grass at the edge of the field!
His 2nd shot, made it thru the brush and hit the plastic body with a "bong" sound, LOL
After that, he just stood there, in a daze. So, I yelled out, "NICE SHOT, ASSHOLE!!!"

This idiot's brain had his eyes convinced that he was seeing a real deer! When I called out to him, it was like he awoke from a dream-state! He was absolutely duped into believing a plastic decoy was a living, breathing, moving, game animal.

Anyhoo, to make a long story, long...

I'm convinced that this type of 'tunnel vision' mindset is accountable for many avoidable hunting accidents.

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 04:55 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
That’s a pretty funny scenario, Fred!

The one ‘failure to identify’ incident that sticks with me happened in December of 2007 here in SE Kansas in Lyon County.

A young man was hunting geese with two friends during Christmas break from college. They were in layout blinds, and a guy driving by on the road ended up shooting into the decoys with a 25-06 and hit one of the kids in the blind. He died right there, and it took about a week before they found the guy.

I was had just started my tenure on the Hunter Ed Advisory Committee for the state in February of ’08, and the HE Coordinator got permission to produce a video about this. He went to the parents of the kid and they gave their blessing. What came out of this was an excellent 6 minute video I show at the beginning of all my HE classes.

The guy ended up getting 33 months in jail.

Here is a link to the video:

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Services/Education/Hunter

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 08:19 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh, what a terrible tragedy for that young man's family to bear...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 08:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Furdirt, does not AZ have a law about camping out within a certain distance of a water hole? I think they do?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 09:31 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred,
Bob Arndt did that cut about Beau in one take.

Wayne Doyle, the HE coordinator in the video, is a very close friend of mine. He is a retired Lt. Col. in the Marines, and one of the toughest SOB's I know--he did 3 tours in Vietnam, and he said this was one of the toughest things he has ever done.

It is definitely an eye opener to the students.

--------------------

Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 10:26 AM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger,
That happened not too far from a buddy's parents place that I've hunted in the past.
As a matter of fact, that's how I learned of the incidence.
His Dad told me, "Make sure you don't wander off our property, people are pretty nervous about hunters down here right now..."

Anyway, I USED to actually, kind of, feel a bit sorry for the dumb ass who shot the kid.
My thoughts were, he was probably just assing around, trying to impress somebody...
"Watch this"...threw the rifle up on the side view mirror, and fired a bullet that would ruin his life forever...
Stupid? Of course it was, but it happens a lot as you know.
People do it all the time on coyotes...
And, I am in NO way condoning it.
I guess I just gave him the benefit of doubt assuming it was a rare, "watch this", STUPID mistake.

I have totally reversed that "sorrow" when I learned what a total peice of shit that guy is. Apparently, he was a known poacher in a group of poachers...
There's more out there on these guys, but this is what I found.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whitetail-365/2012/09/kansas-poacher’s-sentence-should-be-stiffer

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 11:46 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep,that is the rest of the story on that POS...I am sure their mother is very proud. In fact, his brother who was in on the poaching of that deer was in the pickup when he shot Beau.

The bastards hid out for over a week after they knew found out the law was looking for them.
[Mad]

--------------------

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 04:33 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
AZ has a law against denying access to water. If that included setting a blind up on water, it would surely ruin many a hunt. Rule of thumb, don't camp within 1/4 mile of water, but sometimes you can be that close and not know it. Basically another "don't be a dickhead" law.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 05:09 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
During the elk season in Sept, almost every water hole is covered by a hunter or blind..

Don't get me started, I once hunted on the military base by flaggstaff for elk in late August. Everybody put a blind or tree stand on every waterhole and they thought they own it..

I got one guy so pissed off on opening day that I swear he was going to put a broadhead in me! Dumb shit couldn't get the fact that I was here before him for a total of 7 hours. Fuck his tree stand.

Fish and game said I had every right to be there.

[ April 09, 2014, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters