The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat Forum   » A long time ago.........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A long time ago.........
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2018 10:36 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I was 19 when I first started calling. My mentor was a guy named Art Para. One night we drove into the back of a piece of property where we had permission to hunt and I shot a bobcat that went 28 lbs. When the stand was over I went out to pick up the cat and learned a serious lesson. Animals, including humans, die with their eyes open.

I started to pick up the cat and then caught myself. I didn't take a weapon out with me so I nudged the cat by its eyes with the toe of my boot. The cat raised its leg and sank in its claws about an inch below my scrotum then tore my pant leg all the way down to the bottom seam. I felt lucky to still have my nuts.

The cat got up and tried running away but I'd hit it with my 243 and was well damaged. I called for Art to bring up a rifle and he finished the cat. My leg was cold the rest of the night.

We shot Sierra 75 grain bullets back in those days and with the 243's we got a lot of runners and wounded critters but after I got my 22-250 that stopped. We should've been using the 60 grain bullets out of the 243's.

[ June 12, 2018, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Moe ]

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 590 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2018 11:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A live bobcat is a razor blade with a heartbeat.
If anybody doubts that, re-read Moe's post slowly and carefully.
He was very lucky to not have physical damage or be gifted with a septic infection known as cat scratch fever.

--------------------
When urinating outdoors, remember to face East, toward Mecca whenever possible.

Posts: 4826 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2018 06:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And that's a bigger than average cat. I always figured an average cat to be right around 22 pounds. The biggest I ever killed went 30 pounds, a female?

Like somebody once said, whoever could lick his weight in wildcats would be a fair broth of a man.

But, very few cats need a Coup d Grau. They seem to die pretty easily....compared to a coyote, of which "they" say; can carry off more lead than a junk wagon.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All. Don't piss me off!

Posts: 25280 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2018 01:42 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
You turn one loose out of a trap and it doesn't want to take off or the dog P.O's it bad and you're the tallest thing around it'll try to climb on top of your head.

--------------------
You are never lost if you don't care where you're at.

Send rain and snow please! Send Lots of RAIN!
No lightning please

Posts: 301 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2018 04:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is; a cat can't walk and chew gum at the same time. They absolutely know what they are doing stalking prey, but if caught in a trap or a cage, after an initial rush at the closed entrance, they pretty much accept the situation. Even if you open the door, you might have to goose him to get him moving, maybe because he's more worried about the human walking around. He's not going to fight the trap like a wolverine might. I guess G.I.s in bamboo cages didn't try chewing their way out of there very much, either?

Anyway, cats are just different, not stupid. Think about how many undetected bobcats you never see coming to a call. Myself, I see a pretty good percentage as they have concluded they ain't buying what I'm selling, and then casually walk away. This walking away is totally different from the stealth approach. At that point, they don't care and have zero concept that you might be able to harm them as they stroll back to what they were doing ; before.

That's why a cat might look at you from way out yonder, not feeling threatened, whereas, a coyote thinks it's better to put some vegetation and real estate between you and him. We have to give a cat his due, he's a survivor, living around people that don't have a clue that he is out there. You really need to learn his habits before knowing how to hunt such a skilled hunter.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2018 10:40 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest bobcat was 32 lbs. The biggest one I ever saw was 35 lbs. One of the club members got it on a club hunt in the Owens. That cat was beautiful with long fur and chocolate brown markings. Everyone, including me, offered him money for the cat but he said he'd found his bobcat rug. My big cat was poorly marked and had very short hair.

Like LB I've found most adult cats to run about 22 lbs but I shot quite a few that were bigger.

Coyotes seem to run about 25 lbs but one night not far from Las Vegas I killed one that went 42 lbs. It looked like a big overfed dog. Average head but a fat neck and body.

When I started calling back in the early 60's and to this day I have never shot a coyote with mange. My friends who hunt in California have but not me. I discovered that mange was introduced in Montana as a way to control coyote populations and I guess it has taken all this time to get to California.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 590 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2018 11:42 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure, but it seems like the fattest coyotes that I've shot were the three legged ones.
Weird...….and I usually didn't know they were peg legged until I picked them up.

--------------------

Posts: 4826 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2018 07:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about biggest or fattest, but one thing about three legged coyotes. When they are running, It's not often you notice a limp, in fact I only remember one time I was aware that a coyote coming to the call had a problem. In other words, it's usually a surprise when picking up a dead coyote, that he s missing a foot or is cripple, in some way. I guess they hide it pretty well.

On the other hand, I don't ever remember a bobcat that had any sort of physical deformity? I know, when they get nicked somewhere, they act like big babies, fretting over a pretty minor flesh wound, stopping to lick it frequently, etc. Not a coyote. In fact i had a coyote run off, after hiding from me that had FOUR broken legs! That sucker was making halfway decent time, too! Another time, this coyote was dragging almost 20 feet of intestines until they snagged in some sage and then he was still tugging at it like he was lassoed. Coyotes are tough, you gotta give them that.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2018 03:18 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, a couple of things to be thankful for;
(1) The Hildabeast lost.
and
(2) Coyotes and badgers don't stand 'bout 4 foot at the shoulder.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2018 04:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what it means, how tough they are, but I can't remember having a bullet exit a badger? Seriously.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters