The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » Well, lookeeee here!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Well, lookeeee here!
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 05:39 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hadn't been up to the farm in a while. Checked a trail camera in a brushy lane, and low& behold...this sucker strolled by!!!
 -

Yeah, it's just a bobcat. But, thing is, there isn't posta be bobcats in that AO. Now I got hard proof!

All I can say is, I shoulda got some trail cams years ago...these things are cool as shit!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 08:30 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice cat, Fred!

I thought there might be more in your neck of the woods...I guess not?

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 09:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have always thought bobcats were universal, coast to coast. They are pretty common out here, if you know where to look.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 03:39 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Great catch Fred.

We have bobcats here and there is a season, but over the past 3-4 years I've not seen a single one and have only cut one set of tracks over that span. I think the high price for several years has taken its toll and numbers are down.

Even though this area doesn't hold high numbers of bobcats, it used to be fairly common to see sign and the occasional cat.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 04:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to the fur sales in your area, Lonny, you might see trappers in your area with 300-400 pelts. It's a lot of work to run that many traps or cages but they leave no stone unturned and the recreational hunter might not see many cats when the trapper is done.

I don't know how I feel about that situation? On the one hand, I dislike overregulation, but why should so few trappers reap every damned cat out of the woods?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2017 03:43 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What's strange is, that AO always seemed to me like it'd be real good cat habitat? Rolling farm fields, timbered hills, nasty thickets full of bunnies & birds...
NY does hold bobcats, from the Hudson pallisades up past the 'Dacks, and out west thru the Catskill Mts. Several WMUs do have a hunting/trapping season on them, just not out in 'cow country' where the farm is. Sure is cool to see them expanding!!!
In the last couple years, my dog has run/bayed 'something' more than once that sure didn't act like a coyote or coon. Pokey squeals & yips on track when he runs ditch tigers, and he was squealing just like it was a cat. He usually just catches a coon, or trees it fast...
Anyhoo, one particular time, he had 'something' bayed, but soon as I got close and called to him, it baled and took off? He run it a couple hundred yards & bay again. When I finally called him off (getting near a road), Poke came back with his muzzle scratched up. Now that I have that photo proof, I wouldn't doubt if he was runnin' a bobcat...

This past weekend, I showed the pic to some local farmers. One hand said there was a road-killed bobcat found a week ago, not 2 miles from where that pic was taken [Confused]
So, either that cat in my pic is now road pizza, or we've got an influx of bobcats!?!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters