The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Optics forum   » Check this shit out... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Check this shit out...
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2016 04:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Weapon-mounted laser rangefinder:

SWR RADIUS rangefinder

It works by collimating (zeroing) your scope's x-hair to that of the laser. With that accomplished, your scope's x-hairs now become the aiming point for the rangefinder. With the unit on 'SCAN' mode, you get instant feedback on target distance...

Useta be, you'd spot target with binos, range with LRF, then acquire target in scope & engage. PITA, if you're shooting/hunting solo!

OR... spot & range target with LRF binos, then get on the rifle, acquire & engage. Still a mild PITA to go between LRF binos & rifle, especially from prone position...

With the SWR, you're on the rifle & can acquire target, get an accurate range & engage all at once! If you've got a mil/moa subtended reticle, you can holdover for correction and never even touch the turrets...

Crazy shit, got one on the way to try [Wink]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2016 05:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the price on one of these things, Fred? Looks expensive?

You know, I was just thinking, very recently. That in most of my coyote hunting, I never dial in the scope. There is never time! Sure, when sniping rockchucks, go ahead, but a coyote will seldom just stand around while you twist dials.

First of all, you have to start with something a lot better than a 308. I prefer to hold on fur, when possible and a flat shooting rifle takes some of the guesswork out of the holdover. I never had a lot of interest in gongs placed 1,000 yards off on the side of a hill. I'm sure there might be something gained by making hits reliably at those distances but I seldom shoot at animals beyond 400, maybe 500 yards out. Once they are down, it's not easy finding them. Many times, you need a guide with a radio. And, I do a lot of this at night, with not many clues, as far as distance to the target. You just have to have a knack for judging distance and wind.

Anyway, I'm not really a potential customer, unless I were to consider the competitive aspects.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31336 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2016 06:30 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
They retail for just under a grand, Leonard.

Doubt I'll be using it for coyote calling, just keeping the HM membership up to speed on new gadgets! Shooting a .22-243AI basically negates range guesstimation issues for the vast majority of called coyotes.

Gonna clamp it onto my big Norma Mag and see how it works, this weekend. Thinking it'll be fun for targets, and would likely be a pisser on a hot p-dog field! Range, holdover & shoot til the barrel melts!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2016 06:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool !!!!

One suggestion, though;
If intended for hunting .............. check the Regs VERY carefully. Some states have language that covers electronic devices attached to your weapon. One over-zealous Warden could ruin your day. If the Regs aren't clear, send a letter to the Game Dept. and get an answer in writing.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7511 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2016 07:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful throwing around the "weapon" noun, koko. Typically, firearms are used in the pursuit of game. I like the non technical, (and less threatening) "gun", but to each his own. Or, go ahead, it don't matter much, does it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2016 09:11 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably true. I used weapon because Regs usually include archery equipment & such with firearms when it comes to micro-managing the bells & whistles on your gizmos.
(I was once told by a Range Officer at a gun club that the laser on my sling-shot was illegal.) [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7511 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I do notice a lot of guys going around the net nowdays talking up their "weapon" and "weapon system" aka huntin' rifle.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 04:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but I have always shied away from the "weapon" label. It's a tool, just like the time my son was assaulted up in the mountains by a guy who's weapon consisted of a grapefruit size rock in a tube sock. Now, that's a weapon!

A lot of our military types use "weapon" lingo, sounds menacing, I guess? Hey, I'm a military type, myself; it's no excuse. But, they can't help it, most of them are carrying a bad ass, black, semi-auto "assault weapon" so I get the connection.

One day, I will be proved right on this issue. We are only digging our own grave.

(end of rant)

Good hunting. El Bee

[ April 27, 2016, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 05:14 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
SWR is acronym for:
SilencerCo Weapons Research

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 06:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
^ completely understandable, Fred.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 04:35 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this fucker is badazz!
SWR encloses a target & reflective tape & dots to collimate the Radius to the scope. The measured distance from center of laser to scope center is 3", so I put a reflective dot 3" above target center. Thru the scope pic @ 50yds, you can see the Gen2XR reticle is centered on target, and visible laser is right on the dot....
 -

With the Radius 'zeroed' to my x-hairs, I put the unit in constant 'scan' mode. Getting a range was near instantaneous when the x-hair settled on a fixed target. I confirmed ranges with my Leica 1600-b and they were identical, to the yard...

Buck Rogers, eat your heart out!
 -

The weather turned shitty and we had turkeys to kill, so didn't shoot with the Radius a heckuvalot. Will be goofin' around with it more in the near future...

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 08:52 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was still a colony varmint shooter, I think I'd prolly have to have one of those [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 03, 2016 05:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Who you kidding? You'll get one!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 06:14 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Im fairly sure Ive seen some sophisticated cradle that holds your rifle, operated via servo drives. One could be sitting at home in your skivvies, scratchin' your nuts eatin' popcorn, and shoot right from your living room chair with the aid of a go-pro mounted atop that laser range finder!
The possibilities are endless with the advent of all this technology.

Posts: 1601 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 07:50 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Vic;
If I'm not mistaken, a few years back there was a you kill 'em game ranch in Texas doing pretty much that exact thing. Remote rifles, blinds & feeders. The `guide` would handle your trophy and ship the meat to you.

It's a brave new world out there.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2016 07:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said; I do not twist turrets. If I can't figure out the drop stuff, I would probably miss. Hasn't happened, but it could, in theory.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2016 07:59 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who you kidding? You'll get one!
Naw... I already spent all my money on suppressors [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 12:10 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

For the longest time I didn't twist turrets either. Hunted typical coyote calling ranges and was mostly point and shoot. Once in a great while hold on the top of the back. Time and situations change and now can see were there is a time and place to twist turrets. Another reason I prefer a FFP so when thing are happening quick I can hold over at longer distance and know were I am going to hit.

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 05:32 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brent. I never thought I would want to twist turrets either. Until I started shooting my .22-250AI with the Leupold VX3 4.5x14 CDS turrets. Though not the quality, and accuracy of the high end stuff, I really like this setup. Have a custom turret for my specific load (60 grain Bergers at 3800 fps). I have my gun sighted in for 200 yards, so my turret is set at 2. If I see a coyote at 300 yards I click to 3. 400 yards click to 4. All the way up to 8 for 800 yards. Very simple and very fast. And surprisingly accurate.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1569 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 07:32 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I went the CDS custom turret route on my 3.5-10 several years ago.

I know from reading around the internet, many people are cussing the Leupold system, if you do much twisting.

I know the true long-range shooters hate the custom turret, but like Chad said, it is fast for me and so far it has worked fine. But I really don't twist it that much. Mostly some playing around on steel out to about 550, some varmint shooting, and the occasional coyote that would require a hold on air.

This past winter it came in really handy several times on coyotes that refused to come further or simply ignored the call.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2016 07:55 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny I agree I very rarely turn my turrets past 4, 400 yards is about my max on Coyotes.
Posts: 1569 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2016 04:49 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Long as you got exposed turrets, anyone can make 'custom ballstic turret' in < 5 minutes for < $5...

All ya need it this:
 -

And this:
 -

1. Wrap your elevation turret with the masking tape

2. Shoot at each desired distance to prove your 'click' correction

3. Mark the tape with the corresponding yardage

If ya wanna get real crazy, you can make your custom turret more permanent by running clear packing tape over top to 'lock in' your custom settings... [Smile]

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2016 04:50 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you can just use the numbers that are already marked on the turret... [Wink]
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2016 07:44 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the tape deal on my main squeeze 'chuck rifle. Been doing it that way for decades. Real easy to change the dope if the load changes or the scope gets moved to a different rifle.

I don't do much of that kind of shooting anymore. But, the main thing about scopes I learned in regards to that stuff, is scopes are SNAKES and NOT to be trusted! The reason Leopold's warranty department was so good back in the day, was because they got so much practice, from all the scopes I had to send in because the clicks didn't work worth a fuck.

It's why I bought a the NIghtforce scopes that I have on my fancy colony varmint rigs. Just got sick and tired of dicking with Leopold's.

That said.. I weeded through enough crappy ones, that I did eventually end up with a nice assortment of good ones that have proven themselves reliable in the click department. Just took more tries to get there than it should have. That .22-250AI which is my favorite 'chuck rifle has a Leupold on it, in fact. Going to try and see if I can find a few 'chucks to launch with it this weekend, too [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2016 08:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Dave! I thought you said some time back that you were a confirmed Leupold man? What's this shit about Nightforce?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters