The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Optics forum   » USO 5x25 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: USO 5x25
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
USO 5x25, Leonard tell us about it! Please...
I have always used German Zeiss & Leupolds for day & night hunting . Do i need to update?

I Fixed it

[ July 27, 2012, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Prune Picker ]

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I would wait a while on that, it's not even mounted as yet. USO rings are $250 and the base is $140, none of which I have, yet.

The scope is 5X25, but it's not for hunting, tactical games.

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2012 04:46 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I had been talking to a guy who asked me about a 5 x 15 Night Force scope, which i also know nothing about. Sorry for my error.

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2012 06:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, no need for an apology. I'm kinda excited about it, can't wait to try it at a thousand.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2012 07:22 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm playing with the 3.5 to 15 Nightforce with the velocity reticle and zero stop on my 22x47. I'm liking it.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Zero stop with repeatability along w/ Mil adjustments for Mil type reticles get my attention these days.
I have used target knobs for years but for some reason never liked them on a hunting rifle. Seems i always got lost twisting them so i just ignored them unless shooting at paper.
Who makes the most accurate zero stop scopes? All biased opinions appreciated (by me).

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For the guy that doesn't like to twist knobs, I think the Horus reticle would be an option, unless, like me, you dislike clutter.

This SN3 has a 35mm main tube with quite a bit of elevation clicks. The 34mm option is supposed to be stronger, if you are interested in pounding nails with it? One thing you can depend on, people have opinions about optics.

This thing will not be set up for coyotes....maybe? It's a solution for long range targets, gongs and such.

Good hunting. LB

edit: yes, opinions. I have never warmed up to Nightforce. I can't say why, EXACTLY, but I just don't like them.
edit: my 1911 Picatinni rail is still on backorder. [Frown]
edit: a Horus reticle in this scope is a $400 option. <Yikes>

[ July 29, 2012, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2012 06:32 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I messed with a Shepperd scope years ago. First impression didn't impress me. Next up was Leupold Mil Dot & converting mils to inches or vice a versa was (is?) a headache for me, throw in black lines going everywhere (Shepperd) probably caused a paradox to my thinking while looking thru a scope. So i went back to the old standby Leupold std. duplex for comfort.

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know, even with a 2nd focal plane scope an a duplex, you can still get a lot of information if you know the dimensions of the width of the heavy crosshairs and the narrow crosshairs and the width of the narrow crosshairs. At specific magnification, but if you know your scope, (as Cronk might say) you don't need a high dollar rangefinder.

Good hunting. El Be

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2012 06:05 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, any news/update on your new scope?
I have heard all kinds of good things about the new glass, but i haven't ever handled any of US Optics products.
Leupold's new VX6 series (1.1 x 6) has me thinking i could use a new scope, but i haven't seen any of them either. I'm aware your new scope is probably in another class over the leupold but i do a lot of night shooting and use 1.5x5's a bunch.

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, what they tell me is that the Tpal option on my scope causes a very slight reduction in brightness under low light conditions. Well, everybody wants the brightest scope in the world and this thing looks pretty bright, to me, but you really cannot tell unless you line up on a coyote, at night, and he's way out there. This, I have not done, still don't have the picatinni rail and then maybe I could try it. But, I still have a lot of load development ahead of me before it's operational.

As far as hunting at night, my best night scope is a 3X12X56 Kahles. I just don't see how this ten year old scope can be improved on? Damn, maybe it's fifteen years old? It's a steel scope, since then, they have been making them with aluminum for quite some time. They actually solder the scope to the rings, I have the information brochure somewhere on how to do it. That's hardcore!

I read recently that Kahles is the oldest telescopic sight manufacturer in the world.

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

PS one thing about this USO scope, it's a friggin' tank! and, It's big. For this application, it doesn't matter how much it weighs or how massive it is, but take my word for it, it's big, and impressive. I think they claim it weighs 2½ pounds?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2012 07:25 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The best (brightest&clearest) scopes i have ever looked thru and hunted with is a German Zeiss Diatal-C 4x32mm and a Khales 2.5x?mm. Day or night i had "super vision". I'm kinda of he opinion that the newer lead free scopes are not any better (yet?) than the old german/austrian glass.

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2012 10:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The soldered rings I mentioned are ONE PIECE! That sort of scared me, removing the ocular and objective lenses to slip on the rings. Nah, I pass. It's a damned good scope, just as it is.

Sure wish the damned 1911 rail would get here!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the size & weight of the scope the reason for the solid mounting? I am looking at a "KKAHLES WEN" HELLA 39L2 3x9,26mm(tube dia) steel tube scope. It weighs about 22oz's, and has been a pain in the butt to keep from moving in the mounts since day one. Now the reticle in it shifts when i turn the power up or down, probably due to the recoil & less than solid mounting. plus the fact it was mounted with #6 screws.

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like something ain't right, that shouldn't happen and I do not think it has anything to do with solid rings. The one piece rings are something for extreme African or Indian hunting in the bush far from repairs, etc. The only reason I mentioned it is because my scope is steel, not aluminum and soldering it to steel rings with silver solder is an option. Basically, it is a qualified gunsmith application, not for a hobbyist. If you have anything that moves, send it back, that's not something anybody should tolerate for any reason. Besides that, what is it with 26mm rings? Are they one inch or 26mm?

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The scope is pure European, an older 1970-80's style. The tube dia. is 26mm vs the 1" tube used by american scopes. I have called a couple of scope repair shops to see if it can be fixed and was told parts are no longer available. No gripes from me, its just an out of date scope.

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much satisfaction you might get, but I would try this guy as I think he's well connected.

Ken Pratt
Owner
Khaybes LLC
(208) 476-0600
kahlesusa@gmail.com

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2013 05:32 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Is there an update/review on this scope?

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2013 09:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have not shot it enough to really talk. I don't have any negative impressions, thus far.

It is sitting on a Howa 243Ackley with a 30" straight 1.125" Shillen and a McMillan Tooley bench stock.

I just haven't had the time to do much more than get it zeroed, much less load development. I'm using the Berger 105 Hibred. One of these days, I will clear the board and get serious with it. Maybe. Just to see what it can do.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2013 07:30 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
OK.
Next,is the Kahles you mention(favorite night scope)similar to this one(other than 50mm vs 56MM).

http://swfa.com/Kahles-Helia-KX-KXi-Riflescopes-C3946.aspx

All comments on this scope appreciated.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2013 08:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Kahles makes a damned good scope. The one in your link is a 1" and a 50mm objective with a second focal plane reticle.

That's substantially different from what I have, which is 30mm and first focal plane, and a 56mm objective. I would guess you light transmission is noticeably better, at least as applies to hunting at night.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2013 08:12 PM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, thanks. I've spent 2 weeks trying to decide on a scope and have gotten nowhere except confused. Life is too complicated now days.
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2013 10:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
For day time runners or night hunting a scope with a 30mm tubes is the route to go. Gathers more light and makes it a little easier to pick up your target...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2013 08:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Moore had a scope made for Olympic running boar competition that was the cat's ass for running coyotes. Too bad he lost it in the fire that destroyed his mansion. But the new one he built is equally impressive. We hunted together a month ago but I didn't notice what scope he was using?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2013 10:49 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you give any details on the scope Leonard. What was different about it?

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5081 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters