The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Loaded Magazines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loaded Magazines
tedo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2019 06:25 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the consensus on keeping magazines loaded for long periods of time, like the pistol you keep in the nightstand or the extra magazine you carry for the AR but never empty. Do you unload and rotate magazines periodically? Anyone experience adverse effects from keeping magazines loaded barring exposure to moisture and corrosion?
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2019 08:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes! The dreaded, weakened springs, and the life and death consequences of failure to feed!

This "problem" I've been hearing about for at least 50 years. So, I decided to experiment and took a full magazine , 230 FMJ from my Combat Commander and hermetically sealed it in a sparkling clean Skippy Peanut Butter Jar, and It will be exactly 50 years in July, so I'm really looking forward to solving this important question once and for all.

Okay, all bullshit aside. At one time, perhaps metallurgy was not as advanced as these days, like the last 100 years, or so. But generally, properly treated springs do no lose their kinetic ability under tension. Springs break, but they seldom go limp.

Anyway, that's one less thing for me to worry about. Reasonably clean, reasonably protected, non corrosive environment, (read, rust) and you should never have a problem with spring tension, unless you are buying stuff made in Pakistan, over an open fire, like the good old days.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31308 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2019 03:52 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an old USGI 20 round AR-15 mag that resides in the door pocket of my truck. It's been in this truck since 05 and before that it was in my other truck for a few years. Loaded with 18 rounds for easier insertion,

I've pulled it out twice that I can recall and shot up the ammo, reloaded and stuck it back in the pocket, it's worked just fine. Last summer was the last time I used it, I have no doubt it'll work today if I need it.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2019 05:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go!

That’s about as definitive a response as you will ever get.

Works for me!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 04:13 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine stay loaded for years never had a failure to feed due to spring tension. Had one failure on a hand gun , ammo problem and several with AR's also ammo related !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 13, 2019 05:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you are all thumbs, Paulzee? You do handload, don't you? I thought ko ko and Lance were the only regulars that shot factory ammo? (just kidding)

But, really, this spring tension thing has been around for ever since I can remember and it refuses to die. Maybe, somehow, somewhere some guy held his Bic to a magazine spring to improve the angle or something....what could go wrong?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 06:43 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Have not bought factory ammo in eons yes I do make miscalculations from time to time !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 09:32 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an H&K mag spring break on me while I was on patrol years ago. I was walking up to a car stop and heard a metallic sound coming from the mag well. Pulled out the magazine and the rounds fell to the ground. Reloaded with a fresh mag and continued with my stop.

For this reason I rotate all the mags in my carry rotation. I do this every three months. Is it necessary? Maybe not, but it gives me peace of mind.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 10:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, fair question;
Do the police or military have an official S.O.P. on this ???
Seems like the kind of thing they would do a study on.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7504 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 11:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know for a fact that some agencies have a policy of issuing "fresh ammo" every few months or so, not sure of the exact time limits? But, I routinely hunt with handloaded ammo that's twenty years old. I had some kind of a squib round once, a long time ago and don't remember what or why but I do remember it was my 6MM. So that's once in 50 years, more or less. I think having an expiration date on ammo numbered in months is extravagant, stupid and unnecessary.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 01:08 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually thinking more about standards on spring life ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7504 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 05:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, measuring in centuries is a little too much. But as I said before if you read it; springs becoming weak under tension is not a concern. Very rarely a spring intended for a firearm application will break. Stuff still breaks occasionally but it’s like being struck by lightning. I’m exaggerating again but I can’t think of any studies rather than some hearsay stuff about Bigfoot.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 01:58 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko,

We don't have an SOP on rotating mag springs. As a matter of fact, the only time I can remember them switching out our mag springs is when we had the old Sig 228's.

Leonard, we swap out our ammo at our semi-annual qualification. We shoot up the old ammo and restock with new carry ammo after the qual. I agree with you that ammo lasts a long time, however duty ammo is subject to the elements more than ammo that is properly stored away. So I believe that swapping out twice a year is a good thing. I have seen two squib loads on the range. Not good..

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 04:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, sounds perfectly logical and reasonable and economical. However, I'm pretty sure some agencies rotate ammo in the manor of stale donuts.

You know, I stopped at a yard sale out in Yucca Valley a couple years ago and bought some reloads 45ACP. It looked perfectly legit to me, all marked, load and date, etc. and he also had some WWII US Military survival ammo.. Birdshot, also in 45ACP. Again, looked in good shape, no corrosion or anything. I said WWII but could easily have been Korean, but I figured jungles and snakes so that lets out Korea. The thing I would be concerned about is corrosive merc primers and being sure to clean the bore after firing. Personally, I've never seen those primers except in loaded surplus ammo and not a hell of a lot of that. My dad had some, from way back when, but my point is, metallic centerfire cartridges have a long shelf life.

So far as I know, regarding the squib stuff. Even that is mostly a primer inserted upside down, on automatic machines. Ammo is pretty safe, in my opinion, and lasts a long time.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters