The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Shotgun rounds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shotgun rounds
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 08:06 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just picked up a new shotgun choke for coyote hunting. Bought a Carlson's extra full choke for my 870 Remington. Supposed to reach out to 70 yards with a tight pattern. Haven't got to pattern the choke yet... Damn 35 mph wind everyday for the last week.
Anyway, what's your favorite store bought coyote rounds? I believe the choke was designed with the hevi shot in mind. Would like to know if anyone has used these rounds and what did ya think of them if ya have. Thanks fellas-Tex

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 08:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like 3" copper plated lead BB.

Bear in mind; A shotgun is great for close up running shots thru brush & such. Tight cover.
Now, if you have a tight pattern that will roll a coyote out at 70 yards, you have a really really tight pattern at the closer distances you brought the shotgun for in the first place. This makes hitting runners up close much harder.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 09:23 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m with KoKo.40-50 yards is Max for me with a shotgun. Nickel plated BB’s, or T shot. And Modified/Improved Modified Choke tube.Anything over 50 yards I shoot with my rifle....

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 08, 2019, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1550 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 11:01 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
I forget to mention I will be using this choke to for ducks and turkeys hunting as well as coyote killing. I hear ya on the up close coyotes.-tex
P.s. I don't believe the 70 yrd tight pattern without a hell of a goose gun doing the shooting.

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 01:22 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
What Chad said.

I think DAA shoots them at like 400 yards with his shotty with TSS??

Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 04:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What do I know? Since I am pretty disciplined. Before I even leave the truck, I know if I have 40, "maybe" 50 yard situation in the brush. With all that alibi stuff, I feel like #4 Buck does the job, so why mess with it? As ko ko said, I used to be a firm believer in the Federal 2 oz copper plated BB's. But in the way I set up and go about it, it's hard to argue with the effectiveness of the DoubleXX Winchester in a 3" shell. It seems to put their dick in the dirt where the Federal load just spanks them as they put it in high gear.

I'd love to try that exotic stuff that Dave uses, but I don't do enough of the shotgun of any type to justify it. And, at the stated 40 yards, is it demonstrably better? Yes, I understand that 60 yards plus separates the men from the boys, but I have no interest.

Put it this way, I know the type of stuff that Dave hunts, and normally I wouldn't think twice about making a shotgun stand, meaning I wouldn't consider it.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ March 08, 2019, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 05:08 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt that #4 buck will put the whack-a-do to a coyote.
The problem that I have with #4 is that a bobcat crouched in the brush at around 40 yards is about the size of a softball.
A pattern of #4 could miss or put a long crease down a high $$ pelt.
BBs more likely to put the fur on a stretcher.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 09:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Poke him in the eyeball with one of those pointed sticks

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2019 12:10 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2019 05:52 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
On the cheap end haven't used anything that patterns better than Winchesters Varmint BB load in the black hull. Used it in a Benelli and two different Rem 870. All three pattern great with it. On the high end handloads with TSS #2 birdshot kills the snot out of them way farther than it should.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2019 02:12 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Have used #4 buck for years on coyotes with no regrets.But! these were relatively close as in 10-30 yards.

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 621 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 04:38 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I use #4 buck but have killed some a 75 yards with dead coyote the most overpriced load available !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 14, 2019 07:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's my opinion, as well. I have a couple boxes that must be over 5 years old and they are on the shelf for a couple reasons. First, it's like gold, you don't want to waste Dead Coyote on some scrawny pup. Second, I don't want to jar my fillings loose and beat my shoulder up. So, what good is it? The ridiculous price alone is enough to strike fear in my heart. And, I'm just talking about the 3" DC, that 3 1/2" shell is brutal! I might have fired a couple, but don't have any plans for more. Maybe I'll wait until I can get $20 each on Ebay and get rid of them.

I better stop now before I start exaggerating.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 09:49 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have 4 boxes of Dead Coyote 3 inch T shot left, haven’t shot it for a few years now. Don’t know why I’m saving it either. I have been shooting the Hornady 3 inch BB , does a very good job 0-40 yards. Which is my shotgun range anyway.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1550 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 10:50 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a shit ton of 3" BB, and other assorted loads...wish I could still shoot em here.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 01:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but it's ridiculous that you CANNOT! The whole motivation on the lead restrictions is about diver ducks ingesting the lead pellets off a muddy bottom. How the hell has that evolved into a danger of a coyote eating lead shot?

How these people keep getting away with their lies! In the first place, lead is one of the most abundant metals on the planet, maybe right behind ferrous iron. Nobody, goats, pigs, rabbits and cows wander around eating gravel that might have a few lead pellets mixed in. And, the concentration is no where near the concentration in a duck pond. It's a lie, every bit as much as GLOBAL WARMING!

There are many holes in the argument, but who's listening? All they know is lead is poison and it's bad. It makes as much sense as banning lead paint, which they do and which is totally unjustified. The marine industry suffers by not being allowed to paint their hulls with lead based paint; you know, SAVE THE BARNACLES! The whole world caves in to the radicals!

Lead shot, as a threat to the environment, IS A JOKE!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Don't advertise that shit ton, Mark..One of your Liberal neighbors would love to snitch you out, have the sheriff knock on your door and confiscate all that dangerous stuff! Maybe not this year, but soon.

[ March 14, 2019, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters