The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » things your partner does that annoys you (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: things your partner does that annoys you
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 14, 2018 11:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, finding and keeping a good partner is luck and skill and something about you, too.

Now, I never really thought of myself as deadeye dick, but every partner I ever had always thought I was a very good shot on game. Everybody except Victor. I've missed 2 or 3 animals in the last twenty years and he was there for every one of them. But anyway, what bugs you about a partner? Little things as well as deal breakers?

Something that irks me is the guy that gets so far away that he might as well be calling his own stand. I'm talking about the guy that is out of sight and damned near out of hearing, as well.

Another related is the fella that intentionally? hides before you can get a fix on where he is, and to make matters worse, he is usually somewhere out in front of you! It bugs the hell out of me to not know precisely where he's hiding. If he wants to hide, ok but give me a wave first so I know the general location. Then there was the time we had a couple of fast chargers all over the place and after it cooled off, I finally saw him climb down out of a mesquite, and that would have been the one spot where I would have been confident that he wasn't at!

Then there's the guy that sticks a loaded gun back in the vehicle. "But, I put it on safe", but how do I know that, especially when you lay it on the opposite side where I can't see the safety on your machine-gun.

How about TALKERS? Or door slammers? Well, you get the idea. What's you pet peeve?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 05:37 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a guy that wanted to try predator hunting and he asked me to tag along. We arrived at a good spot and I told him to stay there and that I'd be a short distance away, but out of sight. This gave him the best opportunity for a shot at any incoming animal.

After about 30 minutes, and not hearing a shot, I picked up and went to the spot that I had put the other hunter. He was gone and I had to go look for him. When I found him he told me that he had seen a coyote and that he left to sneak up on it. He failed miserably. Needless to say that was his first, and last, trip with me.

Another guy wanted to take a bobcat and asked me to help him get one. We got to a good spot for him to sit and I told him to stay put. I had positioned my ecaller so that if a cat responded that he's see it coming in. Again, I was out of sight from the hunter. Well, after about a half hour and no shot, I decided to pick up and move. The tracks in the snow told the whole story. A bobcat walked right up to the ecaller and then continued on its way. The other guy went to find a "better spot" to watch for a bobcat and never saw the bobcat respond to the call. When I showed him the tracks in the snow, he was completely surprised. If he tags along now, he stays where I put him.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 390 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 07:02 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Guy in our Calif. archery club. Good guy but disorganized.
The plan was to caravan up to a quail hunt. We stopped at his house to pick him up …………….he had NOTHING ready. Had to get his shotgun, find his camo, ….. ammo ????. Got on the road and he needed gas. Then as the morning wasted away, he wanted to know where we were going to stop to eat breakfast.
Like to drove me nuts.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 08:57 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I've a buddy that never did much hunting but got himself a machine gun. He is a good friend and I continue to take him along but he is a rookie in every regard!! First time out, I took him to a really good spot and I warned him not to Whoop and holler if he shot one because we had a good chance at calling multiple. First stand, a double ran in, he saw one, killed a coyote and jumped up whooping and hollering like I hadn't just told him not to!! But he enjoys it so much and he is improving every year, he's become my main hunting partner...after my 2 sons of course.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 09:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are all good ones!

The guy that's not ready is one thing, But I have one even better.
Big Club Hunt, contest!
He's late, where is he? Pre cell phones, of course. Calls an hour past when he's supposed to be here, says he can't go, has a money problem! I could have strangled the MF!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 04:33 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I make the rules extremely clear before we leave to the point of shut the fuk up already ! The worst are those that vacate where you put them if I shoot them its their fault ! This is not hunting partners this is new people wanting instruction and then failing to take it. A hunting partner is harder to find than a wife !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 05:04 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
A good reliable hunting and fishing partner is hard to find, my biggest beef was no shows or late cancellation. My work schedule was a month on and a month off so I generally scheduled day trips during the week which a lot of people weren't available so I hunted and fished by my self frequently. A partner is a great asset moose hunting or trying to land a 50 # King or big halibut. I became adept at launching and loading a 20' Wooldridge alone. I had a small motorcycle that I dropped off at the end of a drift so I could get back to the truck. Since moving to Arizona I have continued to hunt solo, at least I don't embarrass myself in front of witnesses with my lousy marksmanship.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 15, 2018 07:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Right! If they get shot, it's their fault! I'm imagining you explaining that to the sheriff. I understand, but good luck!

Here's one. And, AR had a comment about my habit of picking up a rock, now and then; said they were "sex rocks". Huh?
Yeah, just another fucking rock!

But, it's the partner more interested in wildflowers or digging out a snake or a tortoise.

Speaking of Higgins, how about the partner that wants to hike over the next two mountains looking for the perfect stand; never quite satisfied.

That's a good one: finding a good partner is harder than finding a wife. TRUE

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 08:00 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
All good ones and been thru some of those. I hate the guys that wont get out of bed on time...sitting out front, honk a couple times and nothing. Then you bang on the bedroom window to wake him up.

Or the loligaghers...fucking around when your trying to get to and from a stand...walking slow and tripping over everything, sight seeing.

Or..the guy that cant see anything. I have a buddy that used to go calling with me and a coyote or whatever would have to literally crawl in his lap for him to find it. Even if there was zero cover for an animal to hide behind etc. This guy cannot see what's right in front of him. Quad rolling in straight out at 100 yards and closing fast? ...forget it...he ain't seeing it. Cat sitting on barren ground 30 yards off his gun barrel?.
Forget it...he ain't seeing it.
But hes a good cook and always has gas money, so..hes alright.
Mark
Edit for spelling.

[ October 15, 2018, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2018 03:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are too easy!

I took a guy out, from work. All I knew was that he had hunted some birds. Later on, days went by, weeks went by and he never made a comment. We had killed ten coyotes! A big deal. And finally I asked him what he thought about our trip?

He looked at me and said it was the most difficult thing he had ever done, in his entire life. After that I went dove hunting with him one time.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2018 05:30 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I hunted with a guy a couple of times around home and everything went find. So when he ask if I would go on a club hunt on the other side of the state I said ok. So I met him at his girl friends house about a hour from my house. He wants to take his ride, so he drives the other 2 hours to the motel. We get set in and then he gets a call, it's the girl friend she is at the motel. So he gets a room for them says he will see me at five in the morning. He shows up around six says he had a late night. We make three stands get a cat on the frist stand and a double on the third stand. So he wants to eat a early lunch, well I had brought something to eat so I ask if he wants some. Nope he wants to go back to the motel and eat. That's the end of our hunt, we go back to the motel and a hour later he comes to my room and tells me he is ready to go back to his girl friends house. So we drive back to his girl friends house, I load my stuff in my truck and drive back to the motel. I hunt the next two days and then drive back home. When I get home I get a call from him asking if I wanted to hunt the next weekend, I told him to take his girl friend we are done.

[ October 16, 2018, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2018 09:10 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol..women

They ruin everything.
Mark

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2018 02:26 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never hunted with anyone that I connected with more than Clint we left the truck never spoke knew exactly where we were going would kill coyotes and not utter a word until we until we got back to the truck. The worst was a guy from OK. that I went on a contest hunt with I had Clint along to film which disqualified us from winning we get back the truck after the last stand and he has an AD through the floor of my truck l look over at Clint and he is white as a sheet The man says I don't know how that happened I said I do ! It was a quiet ride back to the motel ! Oh yeah missed it by one coyote !

[ October 17, 2018, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2018 10:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That one has to take first place, Paul.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2018 04:13 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but remembering all the CoyoteGods Rondy's. My brother and I always got the new guys. Funny how that worked. One guy, wouldn't follow directions. Sometimes we would put him in the middle and basically form a straight line on a cross wind stand. Right about the time I would turn on the caller, he would get up an move about 25 yards or more closer to the call in front of us. After a couple times of asking him WTF, he finally said he thought that's what I wanted him to do. I emphasized when I tell him to sit here, I want him to sit here not up there. We kept trying to let him get his first coyote, but got tired of seeing coyotes coming in, and watching him raise his rifle, get buck fever, and then the coyote would start leaving, without him ever pulling the trigger. Best part was on one stand, he didn't like where I put him, so I told him to take the spot I had and I took his spot, to make him happy. I killed a nice bobcat in the first 5-10 minutes on that stand. THEN THERE WAS ONE GUY, WHOS DONE IT ALL AND WOULDN'T SHUT UP.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2018 04:52 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Hunted with a guy one day that I caught blowing on his mouth call while I was doing the calling with an ecall. He was sitting maybe 100 yards downwind of me. He told me that he couldn't hear the call so thought he needed to do some calling.
Won't hunt with him again.

Another guy that I do still hunt with some times has a couple of bad habits. He likes to sit on top of the hill, sky lined. He seems to believe his camo works that good. Can't convince him otherwise.
He also has a bad habit of flingin' lead at runners for as long as he can see them. 4, 5, 6, 700 yards, don't matter, he's flingin' lead. Half the time it's after he missed a 200 yard standing shot. Yeah, so he killed a long distance runner,....once.... and now he thinks he can do it again.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2018 05:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, those recent two are a couple of good ones!

The pity is, I have experienced every one so far, except for the AD. What this tells me is that there are a lot of people out there that will never make a half way decent predator hunter. What it also says, and I have long believed, is that predator hunters are the creme de la creme. Good shots, dedicated and knows what's going on.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2018 07:46 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
How complicated can it be to DO WHAT THE GUY WHO KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING TELLS YOU TO DO ?????

Actually, I had one guy that I took out who was about 150 pounds overweight & couldn't walk too far. Carried a metal folding chair to sit on.
But …… If I told him to sit next to 'that bush' he'd sit there if he had to sit on a rattlesnake to do it.
And he'd stay there until I shut off the caller and said "Let's go." I'm pretty sure that if I tipped over from a heart attack he'd sit there four hours 'til the batteries in the caller ran down.
Always thought there was hope for him.
Naturally, he moved away for a better job.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7488 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 04:34 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A good hunting partner is like a good dog something always happens and there gone. My boyhood friend that I started hunting with way back in 65, got divorce and move away 10 yrs ago. We called our frist coyote around 1971, we could go out and just look at each other and no what the other one was thinking. He still comes home to deer hunt but I sure miss coyote hunting with him. You loose the good ones and the sorry ones you can't beat away with a club.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 06:57 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
THAT...is true. My childhood buddy made a pretty good calling partner. We grew up hunting and fishing together, mostly fishing ,that was his thing. But we knew each other well and operated like a well oiled machine. Had a lot of fun coyote hunting with him for years, but he was one that gets bored easily and liked the party scene. He always thought he was missing out on something somewhere else. He got into dope pretty bad so our partnership ended.
Mark

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 07:19 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had similar experiences with guys Ive taken out over the years. I usually hunt by myself, but have on occasion taken out a new guy, and do have just a couple guys I hunt with several times each winter that I enjoy our trips, and they have a good handle on what we do and how to do it. My one partner that I hunt the most with, has it nailed down, and half the time when exiting the truck I will remind him he knows the drill, and will tell him you pick it and set us up, very comfortable to hunt with.
Flip the context of the discussion; is there anyone you have hunted with that you believe is a leg up on you when it comes to calling and shooting coyotes? I have only one occasional partner I try to hunt with once or twice each season, Brent Parker, he pokes his head in here once and a while here. Brent is the most knowledgeable, savvy coyote hunter in my circle, he is also a very accomplished rifleman, and predator control is part of his income stream.
Every time we head out, he is the only guy I have ever felt compelled to make sure I hold up my end of the log. We have a good time, laugh and bullshit about hunting and shooting and life in general, but when it's trigger time, I feel just a bit more pressure to make the shot. Probably the way my other partners must feel when I take them, although they are always harder on themselves for missing than the mild " what the fuck was that all about" they hear from me when a shot goes wide.

Posts: 1591 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 07:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that overweight gentleman has attended at least one campout, ko ko?

Yeah, agreed. Brent Parker comes across as knowledgeable, knows what he's talking about. That's not an uncommon commodity around here.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 12:46 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he was the guy with that big quad.

In the LAST THING THAT I EXPECTED TO SEE TODAY Dept;
Cold, damp, windy, overcast & spitting just a bit of rain. Gonna fire up the woodstove tonight !!!
Went out to the woodpile and damn near stepped on a 2 foot rattler coiled up.
When it's cold, they're sluggish, right ???
WRONG !!!!
Thought that I'd just scoop it up with a shovel & flip it over the back fence and we'd both go our own ways. Nope. This thing came ALIVE striking in every direction.
Needless to say the day didn't end well for it.

You guys down in this corner of Paradise might want to keep your eyes open.

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 12:53 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, in answer to your question, which is a good one.

Four guys I have hunted with like that. Five, if you count my Dad, when I was young, but in all honesty, as an adult, I got way more into calling than he ever was and in his later years he assumed the Jr. role on our hunts, which really wasn't awkward at all, it really wasn't. He was proud as could be to have me take charge and bring in more coyotes than he had previously thought possible. Will never forget calling in his last coyote for him, and we both knew for damn sure, it was his last.

Anyway... Scott Huber, I've been fortunate to hunt with a couple of times, for almost a week last time. Cal Taylor, only got to hunt with him one day. Leonard. Scott was the only one I had that feeling of "I better not screw this up" though, but only because it was real stuff, lambing season and going after a pair that had been killing. Nothing recreational about it, but very educational and enjoyable.

And 20 years ago, a guy I met on the old GGVG board, Brian Wood. I was just really starting to put things together and coming into my own at that time and I felt like he was a very solid step up the ladder on me and I learned a lot in just a few hunts with him. He had taken instruction from a few guys, only one I remember is Verne Howey, because I got to know Verne a little bit through Brian. Have not heard from him in a river of years though.

I have been very fortunate to have the same calling partner basically my whole life. Although, Tim was way more into fishing, back in the day, and for quite a few years I lone wolfed it on the coyote hunting. When I finally got him out to try it though, and called him in coyotes on the first couple stands, he has been gut hooked on it ever since. That was... Almost 30 years ago now I guess. But we had been running around fishing and big game hunting together for a long time already by then, since we were both teenagers. Both coming up on 54 years old now.

But we never have to say anything to each other about anything. From picking a camp spot, setting up and breaking camp, to picking a stand, to choosing a burger dump to eat at, whatever. We know what the other is thinking and often communicate fairly complex thoughts with subtle facial expressions and hand gestures. We often do talk of course, just to talk. But we don't have to and sometimes we'll go a comfortable half day without speaking. We could start at either one of our houses, go out and call an area new to both of us for two days and never say a word and never have a missed step.

I have gotten more into making what we call "brush stands" the last few years, shotgun type stuff (been using an AR for it this year), and he's not too into that. So he grouses just a bit about some of my choices of which two track to take and stand selection lately. But not much [Smile] .

Have had most of the bad experiences mentioned in this thread with other calling partners. Which, really had me gun shy of going calling with anyone else for a long, long time.

But, I have started hunting more with different people the last couple of years and it has all been good. I have just been very careful about who, exactly, I have gone with. Three different guys, two I met on (cough, cough...) PM, and my nephew. The two guys from PM have very different styles than I do, but are solid in their own right and I have learned from both of them every time out. My nephew, hadn't ever killed a coyote until I took him out with me, but he has been a VERY fast learner and follows instructions real well. He gets it and has the fever. Here he is at the end of the first day hunting with me, with his first four coyotes (using my .17!).

-

He keeps telling me that Tim better watch out, he plans on replacing him, lol! [Big Grin] I ain't gonna let that happen though [Cool] . But he's definitely encroaching. Having a young guy full of energy like that (he just recently quit professional MMA fighting after a long run as state champ), always eager to go and bugging me about it, it does pump a little fresh life into the whole thing for me.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 03:53 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Have I ever hunted with someone who's outclassed me, sure, Vic and Brent. I'm sure there are others. But I don't hunt with too many people, mostly my brother or alone. Missed a chance to hunt with Gordy and Shaw at the last campout I went too.

[ October 18, 2018, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters