The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Suppressors (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Suppressors
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2018 02:59 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What would you get for a 7mm down to a 22cal.
I no this has been asked before but the wife has gave me the Okay...after 41yrs of marriage when she says go for it I'm doing it.
I've been told a 30cal is what I need. This is going to be a one time deal need to get it right the frist time. I would like to keep the whole thing under a grand if I could. I figured that you guys would no. Any information would be appreciated.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2018 07:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
22 cal rimfire? If centerfire then a 30 cal suppressor is what I would do. If rimfire, you will need a rimfire suppressor as well as 30 cal.
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2018 08:07 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, Heres the deal, you wont find one can that will be ideal for your 30 cal all the way down to your .224cal. Will they work? Sure, but not too full potential. Pick what ever rifle you want to suppress and go from there. I currently have 3 with 2 more coming once they are built.

There are alot of good manufacturers out there, but there are some I would stay away from. The titanium cans are light, but I have issues with titanium and the manufacture process. The two suppressors I have seen fail under use were titanium. This is just my personal opinion. The quick detach are another style I would personally avoid.

The ones I personally prefer are steel with anywhere from one to three baffles. They may not be the quietest, but they clean easily, maintain poi and do not create pressure issues and are built like tanks. If you want further assistance, get ahold of me. We can walk you through all the paper work and help you set up a trust if you want. We are dealers for most major manufacturers.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 03:03 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Aaron and CrossJ for the information.
I was told that the trust was the way to go, I greatly appreciate the help CrossJ I'll send you a message.
Thanks again guys.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 05:59 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I put my first two on a trust but have an Omega in jail as an individual this time. Just a lot easier than getting everyone printed and supposedly going through a little faster.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 08:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Please refresh me on this "trust" issue? What's it about? Inheriting the gadget?

I'm sorry but I haven't warmed up to this stuff yet. Actually, I'm waiting for Trump to streamline the whole process and get rid of the stupid tax. Then, maybe people will realize that the price they are paying is way out of line with the technology delivered.

Example: you can buy an iPhone X for a thousand dollars. I don't have to explain the awesome capabilities of that device, do I? It's a gotta have thing, 4 year olds are equipped.

Then, we have a machined tube of steel with baffles....
How much will a dedicated Nimrod pay for such a thing that does what? Reduces noise by 20%? Yeah, that's worth a thousand dollars!

I'm not saying it doesn't have value. I'm saying it's some kind of ego trip to be willing to spend that much money when foam earplugs are capable of reducing the decibels an equivalent amount, more or less.

I'll get one when they quit robbing people. It might be worth a hundred bucks and that's what I'm willing to pay. Oh yeah, the coyotes don't notice the report. The dead one, for sure. But then we have a coyote coming around the corner a minute later and he doesn't seem nervous? But, these things are great, must have.

Okay, I'm just having fun with the true believers. <wink> I know that knowledgable people (like I'm supposed to be) should be jumping all over these things. My issue is, we are being fleeced. Both ways and sideways.

Enlighten me.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 08:28 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the cost to manufacture is lower and the gross margin is higher on an iPhone.

-

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 08:31 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
For myself, what you are saying Leonard is falling on deaf ears both literally and figuratively.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 29, 2018 08:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK I tried.

edit: I'm offended by your response Dave.

edit: you are saying I'm full of shit, I don't have a point? None of my arguments are valid whatsoever?

edit: back again to assure you, I'll get over it.

[ July 29, 2018, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 09:31 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
No, simply that they aren't having any influence "on me".

I wish I had started shooting suppressed a long time ago and wish I wouldn't ever shoot un-suppressed again.

It's a relatively free and competitive market, niche, therefore smallish, but much of my gear is niche. High end, too. Two drivers of margin, eh?

Prices are what they are. It's what the market will bear.

I ain't holding my breath on a tax being abolished but that would be awesome. I Just ain't waiting to see.

- DAA

[ July 29, 2018, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 09:58 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with everything Dave says. After owning one, I decided I wanted a can on everything I shoot. Not because I think they magically produce doubles on stand or make me 'in vogue'.I like them for the same reason I don't drive vehicles with loud exhausts and my air compressor sits outside my shop, not inside.

Lb, the trust ....basically it gives others legal access to your suppressor. We can argue the injustice or infringement of this, but it is what it is. Mine are all in a trust.

That said, I am lucky enough to not have to wait for stamp. We have an 07FFL with an SOT, and I can take possession when delivered.

I also doubt they will ever remove the stamp requirement.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 10:56 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
CrossJ,
I have a few questions, how do I get a hold of you? I think Shaw has my email addy.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 11:09 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
THX

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 11:37 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
You have got to love government logic. They make you jump through all these hoops in the sake of god no’s why for a suppressor for your gun along with a “tax stamp” which is essentially just as a Muffler is on a car or truck which the government requires you have or you are ticketed and can’t pass emissions for car registration. Go figure

Good Hunting Chad

[ July 29, 2018, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 11:51 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Simply stated....a silencer makes shooting a rifle fun again.
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 12:15 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago, I bought an SiCo Omega when they first came out and paid probably as much as you can for one, considering they had just come out. Sold a scoped rifle to finance the deal. I didn't do the trust.

All said, I'd gladly sell another scoped rifle to have suppressor now that I've had one for awhile.

I figured, prior to suppression, I was shooting 20-30 shots or more per year without hearing protection in hunting situations. Times that by 30 years and damn,no wonder my hearing is crap and has been for a number of years.

Not to mention, shooting is just more fun when you can hear the impact better, recoil and "boom" factor are greatly reduced, you can talk with a buddy, and the critters your shooting don't get as spooked by the noise.

I find it kinda annoying to shoot varmints side-by-side with someone who is shooting unsuppressed now becasue it forces me to scramble for ear plugs when they shoot. How is that for holier than thou! [Wink]

[ July 29, 2018, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 02:51 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez Leonard how do you really feel about suppressors?

I worked the last three years doing seasonal work for USDA and some private work. USDA was my introduction to suppressors and it has ruined me. I either have to get 20 plus custom rigs in the gun safe cut and threaded or sell them 'cause the thought of shooting any varmint rig without a can is un appetizing.

I ended up with two of my own a small .223 can that works on everything down to a .22 centerfire and a 30 can for everything else. Both titanium from AWS in Phoenix. Pretty amazing outfit they make the suppressors, Surgeon rifles and McMillan rifles under one roof and I believe Armalight and an ammo line somewhere else.
After getting a tour and seeing the work and quality that goes into them the price is not so far out of line. Hell 1/4 the cost is the stupid BS tax stamp. Put them into the trust so the family can posses/own them anytime or after I die. Process was simple as they did all the work.

Funny story though - had a Sheriffs office employee friend of mine come over and do me and wifes prints. About half way through she says, "never did a live person before" Turns out she worked for the coroner.

Shot probably 500 Pdogs since getting them and never had to put ion an ear plug - Priceless

LM

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 03:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that screen name rang a bell! How are you doing, Mercer?

You know, I'm a big fan of my 22-243 Middlested. It's my favorite coyote rifle.

I'm just a stubborn old coot. I might cave in one of these days. But, I shot one, an M4 full auto. Frankly, I didn't see that it made everything fun, just more like <shrug> BFD

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 04:08 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
THX

--------------------

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 04:10 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything good hear LB. Still up the road from you.
Spent eight months a year last three in AZ.
Residency there allowed me to get the suppressors. When you run around all day and night using a rifle for work they just make sense and it ruins you for everything else.

Still have a Middlestead of my own but unwilling to cut the barrel length to make the over all suppressed length manageable. So it sits in the safe and the 20 "carbon barreled .243 heads out the door. The short carbon barrel and titanium suppressor makes for an awesome rig that you don't mind working with day after day.

Only drawback in my opinion is the added length and cutting down barrels to accommodate.

ML

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2018 04:33 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple years ago I was skeptical on the whole suppressed thing, but after shooting a buddies setup over in AZ I would love to have one or 2. Once you pull the trigger a couple times your like "I get it".

Another reason to move out of Kalifornia.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2018 03:47 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah as much as I bitch about the cost and how regulated they are I broke down and bought one myself. Probably have about 4 months left to wait until I can start hunting with it. Same deal I want to save what’s left of my hearing. The nice thing is my 26 year old son bought one same time I did so he will probably have a lot better hearing when he’s my age....

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2018 05:12 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of kids and suppressors...

My hearing was already gone by 26. I had worn out two centerfire barrels by then and of course capped off tens of thousands of rounds of rimfire.

But my daughter loves to plink. She's just turned 16 and I'm not sure how much longer that will last, but since she was little she has always been happy as a clam to blast away at tin cans and whatever.

Always made her wear ear plugs, and I did too, to set the example. But what a huge fucking pain in the ass!! Trying to keep communication going between a young child and a deaf adult both wearing ear plugs.

So, so, SOOOOOOOOOO much nicer shooting suppressed! I mean, night and day, not on the same planet, two completely different activities altogether. I just sit there and load magazines and supervise for the most part. But being able to talk to each other just like normal and be heard (relatively speaking, on my part, but she's used to looking at me and enunciating so I can read her lips anyway...). It's just safer and more fun all around.

Turned my nephew loose on a gaggle of jackrabbits with the suppressed .22 and a brick of subs one day this past winter, kid couldn't wipe the smile off his face.

Definitely adds a lot to the fun factor.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2018 06:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have you beat, Dave. My hearing was shot while in the Army, and when I was discharged I still wasn't old enough to buy a drink. The constant ringing is such that I tune it out. So, listening to statements such as: "want to save what hearing I have left," doesn't affect me. I don't have any left to save. I knew I had a case but was afraid that they wouldn't let me out. Sounds unlikely now but at the time, I thought; if I raise a stink, make a claim for some type of disability, they would postpone my separation from active duty. I never stopped to analyze it, but at the time, I wanted out, NOW. People do stupid things. I could have a lifetime claim against my former employer for my knee, but I didn't pursue it past the coverage of a couple surgeries. As far as shooting without ear protection while hunting, I don't really think it matters anymore? I don't think I can get any worse? When I have my hearing tested, the graph makes me look like I'm stone deaf. AND, perhaps this is why that I am not very impressed by the claims that suppressed shooting will "save" what hearing I have left. ha ha! I've always been a lip reader anyway, just deal with it.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS damn! wish my daughter was into shooting! Until 3 or 4 years ago, she had never fired a gun.

But, along that line, it's a shame that more females never appreciate the fun of shooting, target and plinking. They don't know what they're missing. I have to say though; I don't get much out of it and haven't for a long time. Recreational plinking, be it shooting at gongs or paper or tin cans isn't "almost" boring, for me. It is boring, for me. The only part I get a charge from is working up a load, bench work, not boring!

As you have stated a couple times, that you think your skill has degraded, I suppose I must face reality....I'm not getting any better, but I still appreciate bug hole groups. I haven't lost my skill on game, I'm still way better than average. And, don't choke. If only I could shoot a scattergun without embarrassing myself? LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2018 07:38 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely DAA. Shooting suppressed with kids is night and day different. My daughter (14) didn't care much at all for shooting until I got the cans. Now she loves it.

Absolute shame and sham that they are so regulated.
Downrange it's nearly as loud with or without the can. The difference is at the butt end.

ML

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters