The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 22 CM (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 22 CM
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2018 05:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No Fred, that's a fired Winchester case. My only point about that is the relative comparison between similar cases, under discussion. I didn't measure five and do the math. I was just curious about where my cartridge fell in the cosmic mix. As you seem to be a student of these subjects, do you have a guess or speculation as to why Mr Middlested decided that he wasn't satisfied until he went to the effort in designing his own version of necking the 243Win to 22 caliber? Considering custom dies and reamers and that screwing around, w/$$ he must have thought something about it was worthwhile.

Sooooo, what's the verdict? Is the Redline project a "chuck cartridge" development or do you really think it's a serious challenger to what we are all using right now for general coyote hunting, which I won't bother defining?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2018 06:41 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, shooters wildcat rounds for all sorts of reasons. Some just wanna try shit, others wanna improve shit, and others still wanna develop proprietary shit to market...
Can only guess that the Middlested is an answer to case stretch in the very mild shouldered .22-243Win, which retains the parent case shoulder angle of 20°...

The reason I went all the way to AI mine was to allow use of .243AI dies. So, if imma hafta fireform, I may as well go the whole 9 yard and blow it out to a full 40°...

That said, my .30-338Norma Improved has a 30° shoulder. But since there was no readily available 'AI' dies for that beast, the mild improvement offered enough to warrant a custom Whidden sized die.

And my REDLINE's parent (SAUM) case has a 30° shoulder. Again, I designed the Redline to use parent case (SAUM) dies, for the sake of simplicity.

Now, if I had some inkling of marketing it as the next, greatest, baddest .224cal on the planet, I coulda went with some goofy shoulder angle, and spec'ed a set of custom dies to accommodate. But, for that project, I was all about keeping things simple, and Im not interested in peddling it...

As for "general purpose" coyote rifle, I can't say as I've not even killed one with it, yet! But, the ballistics are impressive, to say the least. Still, for fun hunting in my AO, my lil 6x45AI is plenty for a 200yd 'northern' coyote. And my night rig is a .17Predator, which is a bang floppin' SOB on almost every 'northern' coyote that felt it...

So, no. The Redline is a top fuel dragster, meant to be wound up and let rip! It's no answer to a better mousetrap coyote rig, especially not for "general purpose" calling range where most coyotes are shot. Stil, I'll carry it and try it out on some stands. But, in truth it's got enough muzzle blast to make it a rude partner on stand. And without a brake, it has enough recoil to disrupt sight picture enough to notice...

Only thing I can see the Redline offering a coyote hunter is on those 'tweeter' coyotes that stand out there in the 3-400yd range. Those fuckers could be engaged with hardly a thought. But, how often does that really happen, anyway?

[ July 27, 2018, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2018 10:24 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
Glad you like the coyote tote.
The hat ??? ……… I wear mine proudly everywhere I go, but then I still live in America while you're in Calif. Big difference.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2018 10:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly!

That’s what I’ve been saying all along. In as much as the chatter began using buzzwords like 80 grain bullets and 800 yards. The way I feel about it, there’s no relationship between those numbers and ordinary stands for ordinary coyotes.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

Edit: yes ko ko. That’s a simple little handy gadget. The artwork is practically genius in authenticity. Easy to pack and not forget you have it, too.
Like you said, I live in the People’s Republik so displaying sentiment like that can get an old fart clocked in a Liberal Sucker Punch sort of way and I’d have to kill him or them. You know?
Thank you!

[ July 27, 2018, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2018 11:13 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Geordie, you Tig weld? Maybe I have something you can use? Send me your mailing address.
Lb, got the package. Thank You. I assume you built the box? Nice work. The attention to your tungstens says a lot. I like the tungsten holder, but was confused on the block with groove in it. I assume it was for touching up tungsten? Anyway, cool stuff, Thank You.

That said, it will be a little while before I can put them to use. I recently underwent a vitrectomy....(word for the day). I am on strict orders of no welding and no shooting.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2018 04:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes! You are asking about the diamond hone which has a piece of keystock welded to the bottom so that you can tighten it up in a vise. It will put a fine point on the tungsten. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2018 04:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did recognize the word had something to do with the eye but still googled it. Wow, what's the prognosis for complete recovery? Otherwise, I would guess TIG is not in the cards, is it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2018 05:16 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Googled it...

Sounds like NO fun. Sure hope you do have a complete recovery!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2018 06:39 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep,had to look it up...hope all is well.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2018 04:08 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope everything comes out alright , wish you well and a quick recovery.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2018 07:02 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Diamond hone! Nice. Lb, I have to admit, you had those tungstens in awsome shape.

Every day is just a little better. My Dr was German, which I figured was good considering their quality optics.....lol. I actually can see very well out of that eye now with the exception that it is on a different focal plane than my left, which i hope will improve. They say it can take up to 12 months to get back to whatever state it will reach, but i feel like mine won't take that long. Doctors orders though, no welding or shooting for awhile.

I can honestly say the 36 hours leading up to the diagnosis and the week following the surgery had me in a funk fearing for what I may no longer be able to do. I realize and actually feel guilty for that, considering my situation was trivial compared to what many others have faced, including some members here.

So, I feel confident I will be shooting soon and hunting this fall, but it may have to be with a 'low recoil' .223 (the audience gasps!!!!)

Anyway Lb, thanks for the box, and thanks all for the well wishes......I'll keep you posted.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2018 08:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
(I shouldn't even say this, but WTF?)

Geordie, Believe it or not, I'm actually an engineer by training.
But, in a later vocation as a TIG virtuoso, you never saw anyone better, and neither did anybody else. That box is a poor representation of my skill. I can weld damned near anything, copper, silver, various aluminums, titanium, Inconel, several stainless alloys including rainbow sailboat hardware & fittings, several thermoplastics and exotic gasses. There's stuff of mine out there that very good welders wouldn't know how I did it, much less duplicate it. I can TIG a vessel air tight, done many miles of sanitary 416 piping, valves, manifolds, etc. for dairy, beverage, juice and wine industries. I could go on, but then, I'd be bragging. lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2018 04:40 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Weren"t it Babe Ruth who said "It ain't bragging if you can do it !!" ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2018 05:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and you know how old farts remember stuff? It started as an out of control hobby. I discovered that I had an obscure & latent talent. Let's keep it confidential, K?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2018 04:29 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinated by all types welding, and those who are proficient in the art. You guys got skills!

Hope you're healing up well. Geordie!

[ August 16, 2018, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted August 16, 2018 05:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fishing heating up, Fred?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2018 06:14 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wen the weather let's us, it's been good!
HOT water, offshore, more billfish than tuna, it seems! But there's enough yellowfin to keep the sashimi level pinned...

Nice 400# blue, released last week on buddy's boat:
 -

And plenty of whiteys slashing the spread, too...

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2018 07:48 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
PEW PEW PEW

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2018 09:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good photo!

I'm not fond of Ahi, even cooked. Very picky fish eater.

Which reminds me. I just finished "Islands In The Stream" by Hemingway, the third Cuba themed novel I have read recently. But anyway, there is an account of fighting a thousand pound broadbill Sword up to the boat before he broke off.

As even a 200 pound swordfish is supposed to be a hand full, a better fighter than even a Mako, it's hard to imagine #1000. So, anyway, have you seen any, I haven't although they are easily my favorite seafood dish.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2018 03:06 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, swordfish are CRAZY when hooked!
We sometimes target & catch them during our overnight trips to the canyons. Usually by rigging a large squid bait & putting it down deep with some type of light attractant. But, when the tuna start biting on our 'chunk' baits, chaos ensues and we pretty much try to load up while the gettin's good..

On a recent overnight trip, had a 'sword' bait go off @3am. Thought we had a MEGA swordy, but after 30minutes of battle, the fight kinda turned strange, and unlike the wacky unpredictability of a sword fight. After an another hour of serious drag pressure, a massive gray shape become visible under the lights....it was a friggin HUGE manta ray!

We were hoping it was just a slob swordy acting lazy, but that big ol' ray had to be over well 1,000lbs. Looked like a dang pool table when we finally got it planed close enough to confirm. No wonder that, after a few sizzling runs, it settled into feeling like I was hooked into a freight train. Soon as we confirmed it was not a swordy, we cut that sucker off...

But yeah, swordfish are prized table fare! Marlin is supposed to be really good, too. But we release all of 'em when fun fishing...

[ August 20, 2018, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2018 09:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, Mexican marlin tacos are inedible. The only fish down there I really like are dorado and wahoo.

Swordfish is my #1 pick for tablefare, then halibut. You cannot find swordfish anymore and the prices of halibut are unrealistic.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters