The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Rebarrled 220 Swift

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rebarrled 220 Swift
Grizz
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 07:01 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -
Been working on this for a while now. Sako Med AII action, Sako target trigger set at 1.5 pounds.
Heavy 24 Inch Lothar Walther Barrel in their proprietary LW 50 Stainless (17-4) chambered in 220 Swift 1-12 twist. Free floated and pillar bedded in a McMillan glass Sako style stock with wide forearm. Nightforce NXS 3.5 -15 X 50 30 MM Main Tube Illuminated Mil Dot Ret in Conetrol mounts. Finally got the scope mounted this past weekend these Conetrol mounts are a bitch to work with but worth it they are rock solid. Time for load development. Rick

[ March 26, 2018, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Grizz ]

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 04:27 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I can dig that, Grizz!
Let us know how the new barrel is runnin'...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 11:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, why did you stay with the 220 Swift? You know, Rick Oreilli did just about the same thing before he died, rechambered in his tried and true 220Swift. I pointed out to him, that my 22-250Ackley out performed his Swift by a lot but you can't discount the MOJO FACTOR.

I've owned a couple 220 Swift's. My first one probably killed more coyotes than anything, before or since. In fifteen years, I used it exclusively, mainly because it was the only one I had. Then I rebarreled to the Ackley and was operating 300 fps above anything I ever got out of the Swift. One other was good for at least 200 more fps.

By with way, for our purposes, I think the 12" twist is probably correct for what we do. Several reasons, but just from a practical standpoint, using efficient bullets at practical ranges.

First of all, on every hunt, you just don't see that many 600 yard shots. A majority of hunts won't see a kill much past 300 yards. I'm not raining on Fred's parade but when I hunted Nevada a lot, I always had my 25'06Ackley and it can do anything a Redline can do.

But, I understand dreams. Everybody has the perfect rifle that he hasn't built yet.

Oh! Yes, I once had a set of really neat Conetrol rings and mounts on my first 25'06 AI, the one built by PO Ackley himself.
Damn! That was a slick rifle, thumbhole laminated, and it had a single set Canjar trigger. I would put three shots under a half inch, if I did my part. lol It was stolen New Year's Eve, 1974 while we spent the night at Marina Del Rey. That was a slick rig, for sure! Never heard from again, nor the 6mm but I did get the Combat Commander back ten years later, still have it.

Any way, good luck and try those 55 Noslers for starters.

By the way, you are a machinist. Lenny is in Tupelo, Miss machining exotic parts on a 5 axis mill for that Electro Magnetic launch mechanism used on the Newest Aircraft Carriers, forget which one? Maybe the Gerald Ford? Says he is making big money,and loves the overtime.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS Fred, I know what you are doing, I once had the fever myself. I hope it is a big success.

edit: that 1/2" claim above is at 200.

[ March 27, 2018, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 02:35 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Leonard the factory heavy barrel originally on this Sako was chambered in 220 Swift and served me well until accuracy dropped off so I decided to stay with the Swift gotta own at least one Swift. Now I have two Sako actions in the safe one is another AII med action like this Swift thinking about a 243 Ackley for this one and I have a AIII long action for I don't know what maybe a 25 06 Ackley or a 6 MM Ackley. Like I said the Swift has served me well I've made some outrageous shots at night in Nevada with this rifle you know the drill Leonard. Sounds like Leonard Jr has done well as a Machinist and has made the most of it. Rick

[ March 27, 2018, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Grizz ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 04:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't argue with that, Rick. I have another Ruger Swift, I'm pretty sure it's from the first year of manufacture, around 1975? I flattened the foreend so it is more stable shooting off the rack but it's still handy enough as a daylight gun. The throat is gone but it's still a decent shooter because I'm using the long 63 grain Sierra seated way out. Besides, it makes a good loaner if I take out a newbie. As you suggest, it's kinda nice just being able to say that I have one. The people that don't know what the hell is an Ackley, they usually know what a Swift is.

I took out a couple of green kids once, and I don't remember why, but I had with me two varmint calibers and my 300. I gave a regular type walk out gun to one guy and this Swift, with a heavy barrel to the other guy. Other guy objected strongly to using the Swift on the basis that it probably kicked like a mule because of the bull barrel. He was adamant so I switched with him and used the Swift and he happily took my Model 700 chambered in 300 Win Mag. He was being such a pussy that I didn't warn him that he picked the wrong gun. See, this is why I normally don't like to take out the ones that are wet behind the ears. I was visiting and got roped into a quick stand late in the afternoon and being polite, I reluctantly agreed. We made that one stand and since I was the only one with a shot, I killed a coyote and a cat. To this day, those two boys probably think this predator hunting is a piece of cake, based on that one stand.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 04:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard
Before I take out newbies we have a talk when we are finished they pretty much think I'm Gawd !
They listen or we are done !

[ March 28, 2018, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 04:11 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Rick
I have some 220 brass that I will never use If you would like it let me know ! Looks like a fantastic rifle , great build !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 05:41 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I reckon if ya necked down that .25-06AI, you'd have about the same case capacity available as my SAUM based Redline?
But you'd be stuck using a long action, and that long azz, no taper, sharp shouldered case might not be the most feed friendly combination?

Was your AI a repeater? Did it feed well? How long was the barrel, and what bullet did you load, and how fast?

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 09:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be sensitive, Fred. I went through a phase. I think I'm in a different phase right now.

If you think I'm critical, I'm not that much, just teasing you. However, you should read the email I got from He who shall not be named. This guy is a dedicated lurker, sends me his comments almost daily in response to posts on the board.

But, we all have a different opinion on what might be termed overbore. Some people won't burn out a barrel in a lifetime. Others don't think twice about rebarreling after 600 rounds, (half of which were devoted to load development) for the purpose of recreational coyote hunting. I always had a little problem justifying the things I was doing, problems single men wouldn't understand.

You are a valuable member, Fred. I like your energy and willingness to travel to Oklahoma and such. You definitely have the fever, a term I use to describe really hooked predator hunters. Keep at it and don't worry about me, I'm on your side. Like you say, somebody has to do it. Peace.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 11:34 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not being sensitive, rather just a curious gun junky asking questions!

While researching viability of my wildcat, I did look into a .22-06 and know the AI variant allows quite a bit more 'room for boom'. Equal to that of a SAUM case, possibly a smidge more?

If your pen pal' has some bright ideas of his own, then he can put his money where his mouth is and design his own wildcat, source a reamer, hire a smith and make it a reality...

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 06:19 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred all of my AI's have been repeaters and fed just fine, well almost.

25-06AI in a 700 Fed perfectly as did my 243AI in a 700. My 22-250AI is a Kimber Montana and it was born a 243. That said, when I load cases to the rear of the magazine, it has a rough bump before going into the chamber. I finally found out that if I load them to he front of the magazine, it feeds fine. My 223AI was a Montana as well and I tweaked the mag box just a smidge to get it to feed smoothly.

The AI case has lots of benefits, don't fret it.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 06:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of interesting? I have, right now,
1, 25'06Ackley no feeding problems
1 22-250Ackley required feed rail work
1 22-250Ackley no feeding problems
1 243Ackley no feeding problems
1 22-243Middlested no feeding problems
1 223Ackley no feeding problems

Anyway, feeding problems can drive you nuts. As Tom pointed out, there are practical solutions, and in the case of the Ruger, above, I had to get in there and polish, but curiously, only on one side, the second and fourth cartridge would bump too high if chambered hurriedly.

So, the Ackley and similar shoulders are a potential problem. You are not always out of the woods, long or short action, seating longer, heavier bullets. The CZ type magazine is a better deal than more standard staggered magazines. Installing a floor plate for single feeding is a solution if you get jamming, which is almost always too high.

In my experience, although there is always a lot of chatter about potential feeding problems with Ackley and similar shoulders, it's not that big a deal, in a push feed action. I forget, what is the shoulder angle in the Fredline? Hey, I like that! 224Fredline

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 11:43 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 04:49 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul I would like more info on your Swift brass if you don't mind. Brand, new/used, quantity, Regards, Rick.

[ March 29, 2018, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Grizz ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 07:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If he don't want it, I might be interested. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 07:38 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was hunting with this Sako using the factory barrel I loaded Winchester brass. I loaded them a little warm and would only get two loadings out of them before the primer pocket opened up to the point to where the cases were useless. Thought this time around I would try the Norma Swift cases. Rick

[ March 29, 2018, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Grizz ]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2018 04:23 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Rick
I got them at a gun show advertised as once fired that appears to be true they are in great shape there's 52 of them The headstamp say's 220 swift R.P. Believe that's Remington Peters ?
Case length is right at 2.205.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2018 10:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm? I don't think I was aware that RP makes Swift brass? I have used WW pretty much exclusively. When I bought the Ruger, I think they first made the 77V in 220 Swift in 1975 and that just happened to coincide with the burglary I had about that time when my 25'06 was stolen. The first thing I did was buy a couple boxes of Norma factory because around that time, you couldn't find new brass anywhere. I hand loaded those couple boxes and soon became not inthralled with Norma brass. Since that first year, I have always used WW brass because it's just about the only available and Norma when you can find it is usually a lot more and I never liked it anyway.

But, if Rick wants it, be my guest! If not, I would gladly take the R-P cases, especially since it's a way to keep different loads easily separated from the WW brass I have. Whatever, right?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: a comment about what Rick said that he loads hot and has enlarged primer pockets after two loadings. That reminds me especially of a recently deceased friend that we both know, Rick Orelli, who has killed probably ten times as many coyotes as the average member at this page? He always got two loads....from 220Swift cases which are very tough and strong and built for higher pressures than usual.

Not this kid. I get my ten reloads from Swift cases just like everything else I handload for, which is EVERYTHING. I can't be prepping new brass every second reload! Fuck that! Those cases are just getting broke in, on the third loading!

I always figure, if I need more than what standard 55,000 pressures allows, I need to step up to the Red Line rather than risk blown primers and the inaccuracy of split necks. Screw that! LB

[ March 30, 2018, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2018 12:26 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,
I have AI/improved cartridges in almost every caliber, and they run fine from single feed detachable magazines.

That's why I used the wording "might not be so feed friendly", when considering Leonard's .25-06AI.

I.E. although my 22-243AI feeds fine from an AICS magazine, a 30° case like a SAUM or x47L is a smoother situation, yet...

Didn't you have like a 30" barrel on that rifle, Leonard? I recall you sharing your load for it in a prior thread, but it's too much of a PITA to go back and find it. Remind us, what bullet, and how fast?

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2018 04:05 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul I sincerely appreciate the offer for your Swift brass but I believe they ought to go to Leonard. Rick.
Leonard, I remember talking to Lyle at the reception after Rick's memorial service and Lyle told me he and rick killed 9 coyotes on one stand at the res. I'd like to do that once. The best I did was 7 coyotes in roughly three hours one night up by Cima hunting by my lonesome. Once the moon came out from behind the clouds the action ceased. Rick

[ March 30, 2018, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Grizz ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2018 08:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, you are thinking of the 243 Ackley. It has a straight no taper 30" Shillen. It's in a pretty stout McMillan with a long forearm.

As far as those high multiples go, we both know where that stuff is possible. Myself, I once killed 6 coyotes on a stand out of 9 that came out of the weeds, single file. I never get tired of talking about it. This was a daylight stand, what Lyle john and rick did was a night stand, still impressive. Come to think about it, it may have been Rick, Ricky and Lyle? I know they've killed 45 animals in a weekend several times.

Those were the days, my friend!

Cima? That's hard to believe, too! Can't do that now.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2018 08:19 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep I was hunting Valley View Ranch Road. Just one of those things Leonard right place right time. Killed two sets of doubles and three stragglers. Trying to remember what year thinking early 1990's. Best hunt was Nat's November hunt 2007 just a few weeks before pop passed I was with Vickers and a new guy we killed 15 coyotes and seven cats. Several daylight coyotes. I pulled the trigger on 9 of the 22. I remember the new guy was getting real upset cause I was shooting everything in the head. I told him what the fuck? Dead is dead. It was a comp hunt and I didn't want to spend all night looking for animals If I have a clear head shot on a predator I'm going to take it. Rick

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2018 03:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard e mail your addy I have it somewhere but this will be easier they'll be on their way !

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters