The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Scope mounting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scope mounting
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
What are your steps when attaching mounts/rings/scope to a rifle?

Do you use any of the following to achieve the task? Feel free to add any other things you use.

Alignment bar?

Lap rings?

Loc-tite?

Torque wrench?

Degreaser?

I know scope mounting can be about as complex as sending a satellite into orbit around Jupiter or simple as just screwing things down.

[ February 19, 2018, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 11:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the mount and rings being used. Anymore I like the signature rings with the inserts, which don't need an alignment bar or lapping. Plain old rings, I use both of those things. Blue locktite. No torque wrench.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 01:01 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive run the burris delrin insert rings since they came out practically. Ive always had great luck with em. They dont mar up a scope, which is why I had em. Nowdays I use the Talley 1 piece mounts. Really like them. I have lightly lapped some of them, some I have not.

I degrease srews and screwholes. Then I use the alignment bar for setup, then maybe lap. I do use blue loctite on all screws and the Fatwrench for torquing everything.

Edit: crosshair leveling is where I get frustrated. I do the bubble level thing but Im never really sure its super good.
Mark

[ February 19, 2018, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 04:51 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Seekins one piece base
Seekins rings

Wheeler torque wrench
or, new Fit It Stix kit

Degrease with brake cleaner

15-18in/lbs on ring cap screws
50 in/lbs on ring clamp screws

Purple thread locker

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 08:31 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Like mentioned above depends on the rings and bases being used. If the rings are split horizontally, I'll lap them with one of Sinclair's lapping tools. On my Sako's I've been using Conetrol bases and rings. No lapping here. These are sorta difficult to work with but I've used them on most of my Sakos and they are rock solid. Also been using Talley rings and bases on a few of my Sako's and my Dakota Predator bolt guns. I stay away from any mount that uses the large windage screw holding the rear ring to the top of the rear base a weak link IMO. On my AR's I use what Fred mentioned the Seekins they get lapped. I'll be ordering a set of Conetrol rings and fluted bases here real soon to mount that Nightforce NXS to my rebarrled Sako Swift. Expensive but they look slick and they really are rock solid. As far as torque wrenches go I've been told by many Aerospace Engineer types over the years that the dial torque wrenches are the most accurate. I have a dial inch pounds Snap On torque wrinch. Rick

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 08:35 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Conetrol rings and bases on my Sako 22-250.

[ February 19, 2018, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Grizz ]

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 10:11 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
One piece mount for machine guns, LaRue or lately ADM gets the nod. Use the new loctite that doesn't set up like concrete, stays pliable and torque everything down with a Fat wrench. I use a level too but it'll drive you nuts at times.

Bolt guns all get Talley light weight ringmounts. I used to lap but found they didn't need it so I quit. I use 15 inch pounds on the ring caps and 50 on the base with loctite.

I know lots of folks go to extreme measures these days but I've just not had any problems with anything coming loose or cracking and I'm using 19 oz scopes on my light weight Kimber Montana's. Of course they are hard kicking calibers too, especially my 22-250ai magnum.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 08:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He who shall, etc. proudly wrote, he don't use a torque wrench, they are for idiots! And, this is how he effortlessly pisses people off, right, Tom?

I don't either. The thing is, I've been mounting scopes way before they invented torque wrenches and think I have an idea how it's done, so....

Anyway, it's okay if you do. I'm really not sure about loctite, other than on bases but degreasing is pretty much mandatory. I don't think I'm too bad about switching rifles and scopes but I have mounted a target scope on a rifle sometimes to get a better picture on load development then going back to a more purpose oriented glass. Therefore, you learn that loctite can be good and it can be bad, like everything else, one size does not fit all.

Levels can make things a lot easier, this is true. And, plural, especially for the folks that dial in a shot at 800 yards with the redline. Then again, I can't get my coyotes to hang around; I must be doing something wrong? (just kidding, Fred)

Remember when things were simpler? A handcall and a camo shirt and a dual purpose deer rifle? I sure as hell do! I bet I killed several hundred coyotes with a 270 before I owned two rifles. Oh yeah, I only owned one call, too. Still have it, a Circe jackrabbit.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 08:44 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
He's a winner for sure.

I mounted scopes for years without one too, no big deal but I bought a wrench to play with torque settings on action screws for a Kimber 22. Started seeing an improvement and decided to make it earn it's way so now I use it on pretty much everything.

I guess I should add that my hands are numb or tingling most of the time and I can't quite guess as good as I used to but I can still twist screws off and crush an aluminum can when I feel like it.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 09:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
THERE YOU GO!
Another one of those unnatural sounds! Anderson said he smokes on stand, so if you sit there with a brew, I guess it's ok? Now, for my son, that would be a five minute stand before crushing. For me, the stand would last 'til mid morning and the beer's warm before I get up. Oh, forgot, I do not drink beer before noon, that's the problem. In an Arizona time zone on an especially warm morning, I might have bent my rule once or twice?

Did I just mention his name? GULP !

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 10:32 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
As for simpler times, when did it get so complicated?

I used to go with just a couple of hand calls and whatever rifle I had with me.

Oh I guess it's not quite so complicated, I still grab any rifle I feel like, my cs24 and a seat and shooting stick. Finding the desire to kill a critter has been the complicated part this year. I've only been twice, blew an easy shot (maybe on purpose) then went another morning and just kinda wondered around.

Maybe next year.

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 04:44 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one of those FAT torque wrenches about 10 years ago and was surprised how little effort it takes to get, 15 inch pounds. I'm sure I was guilty of over-tightening before that.

I've lapped a couple sets of rings and that was right up there with case trimming on the fun scale.

One thing I haven't done in many years is the Loc-tite thing... From reading this, I better get back into it.

But when you have Leupolds like I do, no thread locker makes for much easier removal when they need to be sent back for fixing. So it ain't all bad (joke) [Wink]

Leonard, you really have unique and good sense of online humor. I often get a chuckle from some of your quips.

Tom64- Carpal Tunnel?

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 06:38 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya Lonny, that or nerve damage. wrenching for a living is hard on the hands and the way I lived my life was hard on everything else.
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 08:23 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had it looked at?

Reason I ask is my Dad had it real bad and being from the generation where you don't go to the Dr. for anything, he waited too long and has ended up with permanent damage, even though he had both hands operated on.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 08:39 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good friend who had one wrist done 2 weeks ago. He was back to normal 3 days later. It got me interested cause I always thought I'd be down too long. He gave me a brochure and a card from the doc, I just need to make the call.
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 10:00 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking carpal tunnel here?

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2018 04:42 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had carpel tunnel since I was 18 I worked in a Jewish bakery , during Passover we would make macaroons squeezing hot coconut out of a bag onto baking sheets for eight hours will do a job on your hands. I worked with a bunch of guys with tattoos no tribal shit or barbed wire just numbers above their wrist , Greatest people I ever met. Poles, Hungarians ect !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2018 09:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Lonny!

You know, I never thought too much about it, but Geordie told me once, several years ago that he thought I was the funniest guy on the Internet. I wouldn't go that far, but my dry sense of humor has not always been appreciated, by a lot of people. I'm sure some of my "humor" goes right over the heads of a lot of people around here?

Too fucking bad.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2018 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't try to kid us, Paul. You got that carpal Tunnel from jerking off! Wow, that would take a lot! Never hurt me, by the time I was 18, I discovered girls, started getting lucky.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I gotta remember to go easy on guys that have to drink their steak through a straw!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters