The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » The scope you use for coyotes (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: The scope you use for coyotes
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 11:56 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! A machine gun!...with a silencer! Wait till I tell Feinstein about this shit!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 12:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Victor, I'm not sure but I will look into it? Sarcasm is not allowed in this forum and you're right to call it to my attention if you think you detect it.

I want you to know that I agree with you in spirit. I like simple glass and one of my current daylight coyote rifles has a small Leupold 2.5X8 on it, with a simple duplex.

However, I do have a few of those big things, and I use them on coyotes, occasionally. But, as you say, when the distance increases and/or twilight becomes a problem, there is an application and a solution.

But, for popping song dogs in and around McNeal, (if I'm ever invited back), I have just the rig, and it has served me well for many years.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I'm not kidding; if you see something, say something. We don't want no stinking sarcasm around these parts!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2018 04:39 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave the FireDot is pretty handy, I have a VX6 1-6 with one and I can set it on 1x and use it like a red dot sight. They are daylight bright and really draw out the Bindon aiming concept that Trijicon pushes.

Last Saturday me and a buddy took our machine guns to shoot some steel. I thought about me not trusting Leupolds CDS dials so I started twisting it up and down. And then settled on the 400 yard mark and even though I hadn't shot this gun in almost 8 months, the first 3 shots wound up in a group just less than 3". No big feat but this was with the 1-6 scope and a pencil barreled chrome lined machine gun.

I've always sat on stand with my scope turned to about 4x and seldom have had to turn it up. I think most folks are over scoped. My cousin insists on a 6.5-20 Leupold scope on all of his guns even though I can see much earlier and much later with a lower powered scope at dawn and dusk.

As for reticle, I like a regular duplex but I'm finding a BDC type reticle pretty useful even on a low powered scope as long as it matches up with the load. I just ordered a Trijicon Accupower 1-4 with the BDC matched for 55 gr bullet at 3100 fps. Should fit my machine guns pretty well.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2018 05:03 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just to add a bit to this thread, I got me a little Swaro Z3. Low end Swaro, but I kinda like it. Just the right size for a calling rifle for me. 3x10x42..1" tube...wish it had a couple more powers, but I hardly ever use anything higher than 8 anyways.
Will mount it on a 700 22-250.
Mark
[IMG]  - 001 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[ April 24, 2018, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2018 02:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I prefer a 4.5X14, and usually, the only reason to crank it up is for load testing and occasional sighting in.

Otherwise, I'm ok with a battle sight setting, (military term) of 5X.

Good hunting. El Bee

I like Swaro but I think they are a bit pricy. The only one I own is the spotting scope, and it's an older model. I sure like their Kahles line, however.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Pricey for sure ,this is the low end Z3, not to bad price wise. I got on with them as a dealer thru work so I got a little better deal than normal.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2018 02:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned before, that I met an Austrian gentleman in a fishing camp down in Mexico. He was in a cabin right across from me so I would bump into him, coming in and out. One day, I asked him about Swarovski, a very Austrian brand, seems to me? He said he never heard of them? Must not be THAT big?

But, I have the eagle patch for my club jacket, just so people think I'm loaded.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2018 04:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a right nice calling rifle scope.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2018 02:45 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I must be the only cheap ass here. The most expensive scope I ever bought was that Leo rifleman thats on the 17 remmy. The others have just been cheap bushnells, tasco's etc. The only really bad one I have had was a BSA and it was bad. The others have held up for years and only died because I am a left footed clutz and the scopes just didn't survive being beat up. But then again I never have needed one of those high dollar units and could never bring my cheap ass mind to spend more on a scope than my cheap rifle. Hell I even use those cheap busnell airgun scopes on a couple of my TCs that I used during the hunter pistol days. I don't think I am the only one out there like me though. I could be wrong also..

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 637 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2018 09:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you could call him a cheap ass, but Victor Carlson is known to mount stuff like Simmons Whitetail scopes on decent guns. He may sympathize with your attitude?

I have converted nonbelievers before, out in the field, while looking at some feature or some rack or something else. They never have too much to say, but you can see the wheels turning.

I had a good friend one time, and that's what it was, a discussion of whether there was a buck with a doe or two does. My son had one of my guns and he told my buddy, yeah, that's a nice buck but Dick scoffed at it, an excited kid, etc. So, he took a look through a scope that was at least twice as expensive as the one he had and was convinced on the spot.

A few days later, back home, this guy, (high school buddy) camped outside a Grant Boys store before they opened and bought a decent Leopold that was on sale, seems like it was a one of a kind shop model or something, but he was pleased as punch. This is the kind of guy that shows up for an out of state hunt with three different boxes of 7Mag. cartridges, all half full and not sighted in yet.

I also recall taking his rifle out of the stock out in the field, but damned if I can remember what the problem was, but he wasn't going to solve it by himself? He was actually more of a bird hunter when we were kids, and we joined the Army together on the buddy plan. A gentleman farmer, he was, out in Antelope Valley, and not really into guns, but he had a decent Model 700BDL.

A good deed, and yet he insisted on driving back ten miles through the woods, to camp, to get a scope cap for that cheap ass scope that he left sitting on a rock. Doesn't everybody sight in on opening day, that's half the fun. He'd be smiling, reading this.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2018 02:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"Doesn't everybody sight in on opening day ....??"

You guys would be amazed at how many people are at the sporting goods counter at Wally World as the sun's coming up on opening day TO BUY THEIR DEER TAG !!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2018 03:56 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I can dig that little Swaro! Have a Kahles of almost the same specs and it's a dandy hunting scope...

Follow up to 2/16 post...Minox just returned with new illumination system. Back & forth to Germany, via TX...NO CHARGE. Will prolly mount it on the smoke pole & leave it be...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2018 08:49 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Had an email regarding the price on these...I think MAP on those is like 729.00. These Z3's have I believe, Japanese glass in them, not German. Could be wrong but not 100%.
Mark

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2018 06:30 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
An update. A couple months back I bought a Nightforce SHV 3-10 with the duplex reticle AKA "Forceplex" It was a "blem" and that knocked the price down to where I could justify trying it out. The box it came in was kinda tore up and that is the only blem I could see.

The turrets are capped on the SHV so that might take a few seconds to unscrew and dial versus the Leupold CDS turret was exposed. The CDS turret turned to easy for my liking and I had gotten into the habit of glancing at mine every so often to make sure it didn't get accidentally turned.

So far the NF has been leaps and bounds better than my 3.5-10 CDS Leupold when it comes to dialing. The NF actually changes the amount that its supposed to. And most importantly comes back to zero.

Like I said before, my CDS would work for awhile, but not consistently over the long haul and eventually it would have to go back the Beaverton.

So far I'm very impressed with the SHV. I'd buy another right now, if I could find another blem.

The scope is 5-6 ounces heavier, but with a suppressor screwed on, the heavier scope actually makes the rifle balance better.

Anyhow, so far I'm a happy camper.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2018 01:22 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Awsome Lonny, they are good scopes fo sho'.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2018 10:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Could I offer an opinion? It's my opinion that scope quality is about as important as caliber selection, which is, not very.

Yes, it's nice to be able to drop a hung up coyote way out yonder, but since most called coyotes are shot within 100 yards or so, just about any centerfire can do the deed. As illustrated by the popularity of the various 17 caliber chamberings.

So, do we need clarity, do we need brilliant light transmission? No. I think it's a lot more important hunting big game, especially western mule deer, that sort of thing.

But, in broad daylight, @100 yards, more or less, a plain vanilla Tasco will work just fine. Would you catch me dead with a plain vanilla Tasco type of glass? Not likely.

I guess it's mainly vanity that forces me to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars more than is needed? I have no excuse and plead guilty as charged. Stupid is another word that comes to mind.

Another thing! Nightforce is a scope I have never been interested in. Too big, too heavy, and way too expensive! I apologize to everybody that is proud of their Nightforce. It's just a personal thing, not like I called your wife homely.

Everybody has their preferences, true blondes, Maserati's, Beyonce? But, Nightforce is one scope that I feel is priced about twice what it's worth. Sorry.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS now, don't be upset, it's just an opinion and everybody has one. Sorry!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2018 11:15 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
In broad daylight @ 100 yards more or less with a plain vanilla Tasco mounted up top, a Mini-14 that shoots patterns rather than groups will kill a lot of coyotees, too.

[Big Grin]

(If you do your part)

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2018 12:07 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather have pretty glass and a homely wife....instead of other way around.

Not really.
Mark

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 04:08 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, whether it's a scope, or a wife, it's all about what's 'inside', that counts...

Simply put, the ability for a scope to adjust repeatably and hold a given zero, despite rough handling, means a shit ton more (to me) than how sweet the glass is.

What you pay (or don't pay) for in a scope is not only the view, it's the design & quality of the 'guts' that allow it actually be used, as intended. If I had a choice between a mechanically sound scope with OK glass, or a real looker that shifts zero if ya fart too close to it, gimme the first one!
Then, there are plenty of "cheap" scopes with OK glass that can't hold a zero, either. But, if ya find one that does, I'll agree that it'd be just fine to shoot coyotes with. Yeah, and ya can drive a Chevy VOLT to save fuel when hopping between stands, if ya want...

Course, shooters can have their cake, and eat it too! By spending more, you're buying...reliability. In that regard, Nightforce SHV line is about the best bang for your buck in a solid optic. Just my pennies, I don't even own one...cuz I like cake!

[ June 04, 2018, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 06:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, my point is that when you think about it, we do spend more than is needed on a scope for coyotes. Many of us appreciate fine optics, but honestly, it's just not needed for daylight stands, killing 100 yard coyotes. Yes, a "sound" scope is appreciated and probably at least 85% of what's offered is reasonably well made, mechanically, and what the bargain stuff lacks is superior glass. So, let's say a Weaver, or a Bushnell, entry level, is probably "good enough". Although it pains me to say that, since I generally subscribe to the belief; you get what you pay for, in diamonds, optics and especially, women. By the way, has anybody noticed that Stormy Daniels is a Two Bit Whore? She's just not attractive, not sexy and all she has going for her, if you like that stuff, is big tits and blonde. I don't think I'd bring her to a dog fight? Where was I?

Oh yeah. A cheap scope that holds zero isn't too much to ask for and will certainly kill a lot of coyotes. Just ask Victor. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 08:19 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but it's 'what we do'. Hell, my latest bow is worth more than the truck I haul it around with.

As far as Ms. Daniels, she's getting on in years, losing her looks, losing her figure and the only thing she has left from a lifetime of hard living is a desperate cry for attention and help.

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 09:05 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I always appreciate your opinion on these matters and in no way take any offense to a differing opinion. Lots of experience on this board and all-around good guys.

I totally understand the thought that piles of coyotes can be killed with a $200 scope and that would totally suffice for many people, myself included, in reality.

For good reason though, I had lost faith in the scope I was using to come back to zero when it was dialed.

The NF SHV that I bought isn't really that expensive or big and heavy. It was $675 shipped for the blem deal and about an inch shorter than the Leupold 3.5-10 it replaced. It is 5 ounces heavier though due to being a 30mm tube and built stouter internally.

Like I said wayback, for my scope needs, I'm not entering contests, killing coyotes for a living or jumping out of helicopters to kill bad guys. But dang, it isn't really asking too much to have a scope that returns to zero and moves the amount I want it to. Even if all I'm doing is shooting rocks across a canyon, the occasional coyote or ground squirrels at a distance that would make for some needed holdover.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I’ve just been damn lucky. I’ve been shooting my VX3 4.5x14-40 mm with the CDS turrets for along time now, like 7 years and it has been on my .22-250 Ackley nearly the entire time. I think I sighted it in 5 years ago and haven’t shot paper since. I use the knobs sometimes especially at 300-400 yard coyotes. And never have a problem dropping coyotes. One of these days I’ll have to check it on paper again to make sure. But the Coyotes keep dropping....
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
But are you shooting pups with it? People want to know.
Mark

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 01:04 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been known to shoot a pup a time or two😉🤭
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters