The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » The scope you use for coyotes (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: The scope you use for coyotes
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2018 02:54 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My Experience is about like Dave’s. All my guns now have Leupold VX3’s on them. Have not had any problems with them holding zero. I to shoot paper about once a year to check zero and I have yet to have to move them. I also have a couple CDS turrets on guns. Never had any problem with them. I’m sure I’ve just been damn lucky but I like them. I know they are far from the best scope out there but the cost, glass quality, and reliability have been worth it for me....

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2018 03:04 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine were newer VX3 CDS scopes and I did dial them some. My cousin is still using varix-III 6.5-20's with Kenton dials. He has an 800 yard range in his backyard and has yet to have any issues but he's had a vx3 lose zero, it jumped 20" high. Checked mounts and gun, sighted back in and it seemed ok. Missed a really nice buck cause it jumped 20" high again.

He was tickled that Leupold replaced it... The new one has worked good for him.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2018 04:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like to verify my zero. Sometimes, I need to tweak but I attribute it to ambient temperatures and particularly a change in elevation. Sighting in at sea level doesn't do much good if I'm driving 5 or 600 miles and might be hunting at 4,600ft elevation.

So, my situation might be different because I hunt out of state most of the time. But, I never really pondered that my scopes were losing zero mysteriously due to internal problems. But conditions are not static, and maybe even my temperature sensitive propellant could be responsible. It's a big tent to conclude that these things are due to voodoo.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2018 07:59 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Voodoo is probably right.

A few years ago I sold my son in law my Remington 700 Mountain Guide gun in 7-08 complete with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 CDS scope. He doesn't shoot much so he has me check his zero every year. I get sellers regret every time I woller out a hole dead center year after year. It hasn't moved a lick so there are good ones out there.

I still have another one on my 204 Montana that has an M1 elevation dial and it too stays on. I just wish I could trust the company like I once did.

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2018 07:59 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I have two 3-10 VX-3's and both have CDS. One on a big game rifle hardly ever gets spun, but gets dialed about once a year when I shoot to check how its doing at longer ranges. So far it has worked as advertised. I've never used the turret in a hunting situation though.

The other VX3, on my coyote rifle, has proven to be the problem child. Both in how it works and how Leupold fixes it. Right now it works, but who knows if it will a few months down the road?

I'm in the neighborhood of having spent around $80 on shipping and insurance. Not to mention time going to the post office, packaging the scope up, on the phone with Leupold, and a fair amount of burned ammo and time sighting back in and chasing scope problems.

I'm pretty much burned out with it and looking for something more dependable if I want to play with a turret.

I've never had any trouble with a Leupold holding zero. The "garden variety" Leupolds that DAA mentioned, must not be built robust enough to take much dial spinning though.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2018 09:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I'd switch scopes. You can't afford to miss a coyote!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2018 02:32 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick story about a scope I really like...

It's a (discontinued) Premier 'Hunter' 3-15x50 FFP scope. Got drawn for a limited public land muzzleloader tag in Oklahoma, last fall. So, I swapped my favorite hunting scope onto the smokepole, just in case I had to pull off some kinda long-ish shot. I'd already taken a few deer out to almost 300 with that ML, therefore confident in abilities...

Anyhoo, to facilitate swappin' that scope onto my Encore .50cal, I mounted a (one pc.) Picatinny rail/base onto that barrel. That allows for a quick-change/swap with any other Picatinny rail. I used a 0 MOA 'flat' base, which turned out to be my undoing...

Well, upon mounting the scope & shooting to achieve 100yd 'zero' on the (covered) elevation turret, had to dial in ALOT of correction. To the point that, little did I know, it actually bottomed out the erector. To the point that I couldn't keep a consistent 'zero'...
So, short story gettin' longer, I thought that scope had shit the bed on me...and I was PISSED. But first, wanted to check it back on the rifle it came off...my .22-243AI. Swapped it back on, and hit the range...
Got 'zeroed' back to 100yds in 2 shots, then referenced my dope. Dialed in 500yd steel coyote silhouette and friggn' smoked it.

Dialed to 600yds...smoked the steel dead center.
Dialed back to 'zero' and ragged the hole out @ 100yds.
Dialed up to 700yds, and smoked the steel
Dialed up to 800yds, smoked it.
Back down to 100yds, cloverleafed the first 2 holes.
Dialed back up to 900, then 1K, and smoked the steel again...

SOOOoooo...pretty much proved the scope was G2G! That established, went back to check out if base came loose. Upon inspection, I noticed that the base was actually canted upwards??? It only installs one way, so I couldn'ta fucked that up. Turns out, the area where the base and barrel mated up was not exact. That caused the base to bend 'up' at the front, which in turn would require the scope's erector to be adjusted drastically to correct that...
My fault for not noticing that the base was goobered up. Quick fix was to get a 20 MOA base to add to 'correction' back into the situation, and hope it mated up better. Well, that 20MOA base did soak up the positive cant angle, but it did require it to be bedded in order to have 100% contact area with the barrel. Now, that 20 MOA base is sitting more like a flat base, but it allows the scope to be 'zeroed' in the middle of the scope's erector travel. Best part was, that scope didn't break, it still dials UP/DOWN like a champ. Holds 'zero' every time, and the glass is something to behold. Happy days!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2018 03:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that like a Leopold Hybrid?

Were you using a steel pica tinny or aluminum? The Al would have been less likely to bend.

So, that Okie hunt was open to non residents?

Don't get me started on the discrimination by the State of Nevada towards non residents hunting bobcats. This allows one guy up there to turn in 400 a season! How fair is that shit?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2018 04:07 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Premier is now Tangent Theta, and is supposedly even better than ever...

Buying a yearly non-res licensee allows entry into lottery hunts. We put in as a group with my bud and uncle, and we all drew an 'either-sex' tag. Hunt was only 48hrs, and public land WMA only. I got lucky and spot & stalked a funky buck. It was the biggest one we'd seen, so happy to take it...
 -

My bud got a decent one, too. Uncle didn't see one big enough. Really fun hunt, especially considering the farmland I'm useta huntin' back here...

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2018 02:56 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Fred Nice buck!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2018 05:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Paul!

Back to the scope topic...

I mentioned a fondness for the Minox ZX5i 3-15x56 on the .17P. , so I also grabbed a ZX5i 2-10x50 on closeout. Well, the illumination on that one shit the bed almost immediately. Nothing wrong, optically, it tracks and holds zero...just that the rheostat for the lit reticle is in a state of constant "ON". Called Minox, in Texas, and hafta ship scope there. Then, they send one shipment a month back to Germany for repair. So, this fix is gonna be several months in the process...

Also, had a nice Kahles 2-10x50 Multizero that got tough to adjust the elevation on. Sent that back, through Swarovski, to fix the cam in the multizero elevation turret. Got it back in a few months, mounted in on a 6.5SAUM and hunted with it for a season with no issues. Wound up selling that combo to a friend, and he put a few hundred rounds thru it in preparation for our elk hunt, last fall. He also used it to spot and stalk pronghorn, out on the CO Prairies...

Well. when we got up on the mountain for our elk hunt, we naturally all wanted to check 'zero' on our rifles. Ya know, just to be 100% confident! When he shot thru the Kahles, he missed by about 3FEET @ 100yds. NOT GOOD...
Turned out, the ocular had become loose to the point where you could actually look thru it and watch the reticle wobble while ya turned it.
FUCK.
Only thing we could figure is that something let go while bellycrawling for goats. The ocular on that scope is adjustable, but did not have a locking ring, so it was likely screwing back & forth during carry/stalks. Or, something to that effect...

Thankfully, he had along a backup .270, and it was G2G. The 5x5 he shot with it died well and tasted even better!!!

Moral of the story? All scopes can and will fail.

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2018 09:44 AM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I mounted a NightforceNXS 2.5-10×42 COMPACT on my custom AR day light rifle great glass. Just rebarreled my Sako 220 Swift truck gun mounting a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x 50 with illuminated mill dot on that one. One of my 22-250 truck guns has a Schmidt Bender Long range 4-16x50 best glass I've ever looked through. Rick

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2018 05:46 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a heads up for Scott or anyone else for that matter. The Bushnell LRHS is being discounted bt half.

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/gap-deal-on-bushnell-lrhs-scopes.6875083/

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 08:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, have we exhausted the subject? It's an important one, and as far as I am concerned, we have barely scratched the surface. Over the years, I have hunted coyotes with many different scopes with a variety of reticles. There is a constant, in that the power range hasn't varied a whole lot, and the fact that a man can usually get by with a plain vanilla duplex crosshairs.

Just a little peek into the attitude, sitting on stand, I can mention that I am usually comfortable with an initial setting at about 5X, depending on the situation where I decided to sit down. But, just like everybody else, I am interested in knowing what the rest of you are doing, even if it doesn't actually change my habits.

So, if there is anything that you feel has been left out, that is important in advising a newbie, so he doesn't make a mistake and be forced to live with it.

Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that the most common mistakes are too much magnification and too large of an objective, putting the scope height at a level difficult to reach on a snap shot.

In short, the question has many facets, and we can throw out a lot of ideas that could be helpful, not to the Peanut Gallery, but to the individual just starting out, with just a deer hunting background r maybe no background. Personal preference will always have a part to play but also taking into consideration the opinion of the old farts, like Fred, or ko ko. On second thought, ko ko flings pointed sticks so maybe Paul, then?

Just remember, someone could easily write a damned book on the subject so the least we can do is contribute a chapter.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 09:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes..............Common Sense is a flower that doesn't grow in every garden.
Unless your goal is to become a big name player in the (crowded) big name coyote whacking field, how about a reality check ?
They're coyotes.
In a really good year, in a really good area, one might expect to average $50 a pelt. Other areas, other years, a bit less to a lot less.
For this we spend two or three grand for a scope that 'may' result in a couple of more coyotes a season than we would take with a basic no-frills 4 power????
They're just coyotes. Miss one & drive down the road and call in another one.
I do understand the quest for perfection........ but perfection is mostly in the mind, not in the equipment.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 7 posted March 11, 2018 10:16 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree about spending more money on a scope than you did your gun, never seen the sense of it.
Now before you guys get all upset let me say that I didn't grow up rich or have a lot of money when I was a kid. We had to use what we could get, so as I got older I didn't change. I did get a couple around $300 apiece for better glass because of my old eyes. I keep it simple 4x12 for deer and a 6x18 for my 22-250,4x12 on the 223 and the 22 hornet.
Let me say this, if I would have stayed single and not raised 4 kids and sent them to college. I could see myself like Fred with all kind of neat stuff. [Big Grin]

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 10:16 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokos post pretty much sums it up for me really.
Mark

[ March 11, 2018, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 10:25 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Cost per coyote? I don't even want to think about that, kind of like fishing. I added up just the gas bill for my vehicle going to and from AZ the last two times this year. Those coyotes and one bobcat get real expensive.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 11:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Iyeah right. And venison is really cheap.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 12:59 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve simplified my Scopes over the last few years for sure. Sold a Zeiss, and a Swarovski, because I bought a couple more rifles that needed scopes. Was able to buy 4 Leupold VX3’s to go along with the 2 I already had with the money from selling the Zeiss and Swarovski’s and have been very happy. They are not the best Scopes out there but definitely not the worst. They have been good and very reliable for me. Haven’t killed any less Coyotes with the cheaper Scopes either. Lol

Good Hunting Chad

[ March 11, 2018, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2018 09:24 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I consider myself a competent "practical" rifle shot, although with advancing age and the related shit that starts going south along with it, I might soon have to moderate that assessment.
I just don't shoot 500 yard coyotes, or 400 or 300, I don't much like to even consider a 200 yard coyote. I like to call my coyotes within practical shooting range, and that is under 100 yards, hopefully around 30-40 yards.
I like low magnification, 1.5X6, big heavy cross hairs, big FOV and clear optics. I have three such scopes on rifles, so no matter what I'm hunting, the same familiar image presents itself to my eye.
One of my hunting partners in Az, has a need for the big pricey optics, it's his business to kill coyotes, no matter the range. My coyote hunting business is strictly for pleasure, so I have absolutely no need for big, heavy, busy sight picture glass, but some guys do.
I recently looked thru a scope he mounted on a rifle and my eye was confused with stadia lines, horizontal, vertical, mil dots, range lines etc....way to much for me to digest.
I carry a short light weight rifle, a stool and a call on every stand, and always three extra rounds in my right front pocket for good luck, and that's it. No decoys, no bipods, no shooting sticks, no shotgun, nothing I don't need.
Ive hunted with one or two guys that had so much gawd damned shit to pack and carry, I swear it took them 8 or 10 minutes at the truck to get ready to head out, I absolutely hate that, three stops and they have wasted an extra stand that could have been made during the best part of the day....it's my major pet peeve.
The big glass is way cool, got to love the clarity and sharpness and other WOW factors, and evidently they are wildly successful in the market? I do have to admit, I can't wrap my mind around buying an add on piece of equipment that cost more than the real meat of the exercise which is the bullet delivery system?

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 06:00 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen Victor !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 12, 2018 07:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I feel the same way about homely women, just get the job done....

Marlene, a girlfriend, has a midnight blue Maserati; boy is that a complete waste of money! And, she has a skybox to watch the Cowboys, another complete waste of time and $. I'd rather sit in the nosebleed bleachers and enjoy the game; right?

I know another, Lorilea that has a really neat, classic Jaguar. I should tell her how stupid she looks driving that thing when she could get a new Prius for pennies on the dollar. Like Victor says; get something PRACTICAL! And, all those toys in the bedroom, who needs 'em? I wouldn't even know how to turn them on? I meant to ask her how her book is doing, but got distracted by those fake knockers! Unbelievable!

People lose sight of why they are there and what to do with what you got. Expensive gear, bells and whistles? Nope! Get down to basics, people!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 08:20 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Do I sense a bit of sarcasm there Leonard? Maybe the word "practical" got lost in translation. I don't mean practical as in logical or necessities sense. Practical in my usage means only the ability to shoot from most any position, unaided, at short to moderate ranges, at a standing or moving animal.
I have no beef with technology in optics, and do not scoff at anyone who uses the big modern glass, it's cool stuff...I just don't use or need it in "my" type of hunting.
The title of the thread was " The scope you use for coyotes", not the scope you think everyone else should use for coyotes, was just commenting on what I like to use.
The guys shooting the long range coyotes would never get by on my low power, big reticle stuff, they want and need high end magnification, and the ability to twirl knobs, I get that. I don't need it for my style of hunting, but certainly appreciate its value and use for those who do want and need it.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 11:25 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a grand total of two days experience with this new "fire dot" reticle in the Leupold VX5 HD I put on my new AR15. Both days, busting jacks.

But, I'm a liking it! On 2x or 3x, with that center dot illuminated, it really does seem to help me get on a running jack faster. Just killed the shit out of the running bunnies with that rifle and scope the two days I've had it out.

It's not going to happen because I'm all out of play money but I think I'd like to have this same scope on my main squeeze .17P. It's actually just a tiny bit shorter length than my old Vxiii 4.5x14's, but about 3 oz. heavier. Just really like the field of view, the optics and surprisingly, that gimmicky fire dot is actually growing on me in a hurry. I think it's going to work real well on close in and fast moving coyote.

For how I'm using it, I'm digging this scope so far.

-

About 600 rounds on it through the new machine gun in the last few weeks. We'll just have to see how it holds up and what I think in another couple years.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters