The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » what are you using on coyotes? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: what are you using on coyotes?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2017 11:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to get an idea on the firearm you prefer in pursuit of coyotes?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 37 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31418 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2017 04:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For those too shy to vote and see the results, 5 of the 7 voters favor twenty-two. That's about what I expected, no news there.

Keep it coming.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2017 05:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
3 so far users of 17, one 24, one shotgun and the rest 22.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2017 07:07 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Really kind of surprised that more folks aren't carrying rifle & shotgun in the truck and letting stand terrain dictate the choice of banger.
They must be hunting different cover than I do or setting up differently.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7565 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2017 07:22 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the terrain. I tried carrying both shotgun and rifle but quit. If I'm hunting heavy brush I carry the shotgun but most times I take the rifle.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2017 07:38 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted for the .22 caliber but I use my .204 Ruger almost as much as my 22-250 Ackley. And I always have a shotgun with me. But it would only let me vote for one.
Posts: 1601 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2017 10:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I thought about that. Then decided it would hopelessly confuse the results. Everybody has that stuff on board and can make a decision based on where he happens to pull over, what looks good. Even hunting at night, from the truck, do I want to mention that I unlimber the 25'06 Ackley when I have a volunteer sitting down and beyond 300 yards. Everybody has options but I was thinking that when all is said and done, twenty-two caliber ain't exactly obsolete. And, that's what this little unscientific survey demonstrates.

However, I'm more than willing to a do over if somebody can explain how to frame the questions? LB

edit: PS I have said before, that I spent many years checking in animals on contests and realistically, could not tell the difference on any given animal: was the damage due to a 22-250 or a 243? You might say the same thing about a 17Remington versus a 20Tac?

[ April 24, 2017, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2017 04:10 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Also use .204 but couldn't vote for 2 different cals.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2017 07:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Some adventurous soul actually admitted using between 25-30 caliber! Well, for now, it's still legal. Enjoy it while you can!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: quit complaining! They didn't let you vote for two Presidents, did they? (just kidding)

[ April 25, 2017, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2017 10:10 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No..........but GranPa, who's been dead for fifty years, came to town for the last election and voted for The Hildabeast a bunch of times.
Didn't even stop by to say Hi, either.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7565 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2017 04:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Still, a little surprising. 29 votes, of which 6 claim they are using 17 caliber. If that's the case, The Coyote Gods would/should still be around? Then, there's that single vote (by ko ko), for sticks and strings.

Shotgun, understandable. But, killing a coyote with a bow is quite an accomplishment. Handgun? I did it once, the planets will never align the same again.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

243aaron
Member # 4786

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2017 08:09 PM      Profile for 243aaron           Edit/Delete Post 
I voted for the .24 but also shoot a .204, .17-223 and a .223. Kinda all depends on where I'm hunting and the conditions.
Posts: 17 | From: ND | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2017 08:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm aware of that. I own, and kill coyotes with....

223R
223Ackley
22-250Ackley
22-250Ackley
22/243Middlested
6MMRemingtom
243Winchester
243Ackley
25'06Ackley
and others, but I could only pick one [Frown]

edit: neglected to list either of my 220Swifts above

[ April 28, 2017, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 03:41 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I took "preferred" as if it meant: "if ya only had one", and voted as such.
It'd be .224 caliber, but the brass stamp would say ".243Win", and the shoulder angle would denote "Ackley Improved"...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 05:05 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Black Board isn't around more due to money than anything else. Everything is still saved, if I only hunted for fur I would back to a .17 Remington in a heartbeat. I never had any of those problems I read about. Killed plenty of coyotes beyond 200 with it. It wasn't perfect but for fur the only thing I ever saw close was the .204 Ruger with 35 Bergers.
I am however hunting more year round and don't feel like loading for more than 1 caliber. So a .243 Winchester it is. 80 Barnes TTSX do pretty darn good on fur and for those bad angle shots and the long stuff in heavy wind I like it better. Probably the best of both worlds would be a heavy .22 bullet out of a Creedmore or .243 sized case.
Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 06:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't argue with your choice. A good 243 is hard to beat in many applications. For some reason, I always preferred the 6MM Remington, it had a little more capacity, I've owned several, but between it and 243Winchester, there ain't a nickels' worth of difference.

Actually, when I went to Africa, I took my 300Win and my little Model 600, chambered in 6MM Remington. I intended to use the 300 on plains game and just use the 6mm for jackals and caracals. Guess what? I killed everything with the little gun. After sighting in the 300, I never fired it at game. So, a 243 class cartridge covers a lot of ground, especially with the variety of bullets available.

I haven't heard it advocated, but a man could probably go to Africa with one gun and a 243Winchester might suffice? It won't work if you want dangerous game, but considering the variety of game available over there, I think a 243 would be adequate right up to Kudu but maybe not Eland? Still, covers a lot of ground. Think Kudu=Elk, think Eland=Moose. That's asking a lot of a 100 grain bullet.

So, a 243 will be guaranteed to knock a coyote flat! You won't have many runners, that's for sure. What's not to like?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 06:52 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brent if I were strictly hunting for fur all the time I would take my 17 Tactical hands down. But I haven't really been serious about fur for a few years now. As of late I have really been enjoying my CZ 527 in 204 Ruger shooting the 45 grain soft points does a great job killing with very little damage. But again when I want to make sure I get dead coyotes and if I could only choose one gun it would be my .22-250 Ackley with 60 grain Bergers.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 07:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been telling people that for twenty years, Chad! A good 22-250 Ackley is damned near the perfect coyote cartridge. And, those that question it have usually made some mistake along the way, like inadequate twist or just picking the wrong bullet and then blaming the cartridge for their fuck up.

I have two 22-250 Ackley's but for daylights, The past what? four years I have been very happy with my 22-243Middlested. But, guess what? It's about 100fps slower than one of my 22-250AI's. That makes no difference on a daylight gun. My 22-250Ackley night gun moves a 64 grain bullet at 3925fps while the Middlested, with four more grains capacity, shoots a 62 grain Berger at 3810fps. Some barrels are fast some are slow, and that Middlested is a sweet little rifle, regardless. Hell, it's 200 fps faster than my 220Swift! How'ed that happen?

Another thing I have said for many years is, why doesn't some rifle maker chamber for 22-250 Ackley? It's perfect for just about any application up to and including most deer.

Another thing, people just don't seem to get it when I talk about this 22-243Middlested. Like, WTF is that? It's just a slightly different 22-243, straight or improved, there ain't much difference. Just geometry; performance wise, they are damned near identical.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 08:05 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I've wondered why a factory manufacturer hasn't picked up the .22-250 Ackley myself. It is far superior to the standard .22-250 Rem. with a lot less fuss. And better in my opinion than the 220 Swift. Just not any flies on it that I can see....

Good Hunting Chad

Edit: And yes if someone did do it I would hope it was a 12 twist

[ April 27, 2017, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's crucial. Whatever twist you have you are stuck with it. If you think a fast twist is really macho, you have to live with the bullets that are available, which are more suitable for gong shows than critters. I hate it when somebody insists on 50 and 55 grain bullets, doesn't know how to pick the right powder, then is so disappointed in performance of his new 22-250Improved. Sometimes, these guys have no business wading into uncharted waters.

Everybody has a dream. lol

Good hunting. El Bee

PS mine was 223Ackley. What was I thinking, anyway? Sounded good, on paper.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 01:52 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Had one of those myself Leonard. It was a disappointment. Sold it and bought my first 204 ruger. Like it much better
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 06:28 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm that adventurous soul who voted for the .25 category; I'm campaigning a .257 WSM this year. No appreciable benefit on coyotes inside 500 over my .22-6, but the need for longer range capabilities is growing every year and I wanted something with more muscle for the bad hits that inevitably happen when distances increase. So far it seems to be filling the bill nicely.
Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2017 06:31 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Cartridges I've used for hunting predators

30-06
22-250
222 Mag
257 Roberts (great cartridge)
220 Swift
223AI

My favorite cartridge is the 22-250 with the 223AI as a backup. Both of the rifles I carry to the filed are Sako's. I've owned 5 22-250's over the years including a Kimber 84M Classic. Nice rifle but didn't fit me right.

Right now I own 2 22-250's, a 223AI, 220 Swift and a 7mm Rem Mag. I also have 5 shotguns but I only use one for coyotes. It's also my goose gun.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2017 06:50 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I've used quite a few different cartridges for Coyotes myself.

.270 Win
.243 Win
.223 Rem
.223 Ackley
.221 Fireball
.17 Rem
.17 Tactical
.17 Ackley Hornet
.204 Ruger
.22-250 Rem
.22-250 Ackley

I have seriously thought about building me a .25-06 Ackley for a long range Coyote gun/ Deer rifle.....

I do own 3 shotguns. A Benelli M2, An early 1980's Remington 870 Wingmaster, and a late 50's Belgium made Browning Auto 5....

[ April 28, 2017, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2017 12:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things.

First, I haven't killed a bunch of coyotes with my 25'06Ackley. But, when I unlimbered the beast, it was a memorable shot. Some were not even visible without the telescopic sight, truly, amazed my friends, especially the time in September 1995 when my partner, an accomplished shooter in his own right volunteered to buy me a steak dinner at the next opportunity.

Second, of all the rifles I might have forgotten to list, above would be the one with which I killed, by far the most predators of any kind, purchased immediately after every rifle I ever owned was stolen in a home burglary. I believe it was in 1975 when Ruger first chambered for the 220Swift and I had to have it. I killed my first coyote with a borrowed 220Swift. I also killed my first bobcat with the same borrowed 220Swift so owning one was kinda special to me. I still have it, with a different barrel. I will correct the record above.

You know, I might have mentioned a time or two, that certain words are magic. One such is 220Swift. It says a lot more than 5.56mm, don't ya think?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters