The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » For the tinkerers out there, don't buy used guns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For the tinkerers out there, don't buy used guns
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2017 06:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've done almost all of it. However, I'm more than average ability in mechanical reasoning, testing has proved it, so I'm pretty sure when I do a trigger job, it's safe, at the very least.
Anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxQsP7_ZQw&feature=em-share_video_user

The lady in the video was very unlucky and I would encourage her to sue the asshole that sold her a hack job pistol. Still, she's responsible for where the gun is pointed and if it's pointed at her leg, well, she was wrong X2.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31258 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2017 03:29 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I thought she was being a drama queen. Then when I saw the extent of her injury, I see that she was lucky she didn't lose her leg.

I am wondering why they didn't medevac her? 90 minutes is a long drive to a trauma center with a gunshot wound.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2017 06:08 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been witness to two self inflicted shootings in competition. Both occurred while holstering the firearm, and obviously discharged because a finger was in the trigger guard area. One (female) shot herself similar to lady in video, only higher up, in top of thigh and bullet exited just above the knee. The other was a male, who wore a behind the hip holster, shot himself in the ass cheek, the bullet never quite going subcutaneous, but making a deep furrow three quarters of a bullet diameter,.45 bullet, and about four inches long.
Not sure of type of auto pistol she is using? if a 1911, not sure it can just off on its own with the two safeties utilized on that pistol platform? But Im by no stretch of the imagination a pistol smith either. I suppose it can happen, but usually a finger is involved somehow.

Posts: 1589 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2017 06:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My Club has around 1200 members, and own the property. There is one firm rule in particular, no holstered firearms. I think we have 14 different bays and ranges to 300, but they play that cowboy shit, where they dress up one day a month. In those events, I believe they are called 3 gun? I don't know exactly what they do about it, but I think a holstered gun is involved? I should pay more attention to that stuff, and I think also that non members can compete?

We also lease a part of the facility to something called "Top Gun" I think? It's where they shoot the bad guys from different locations. Same thing, I've never watched what they do, but am unsure if it includes competition? It's like combat training for a fee, I think? Big tent, ya know?

We must sign several pages of lawyer stuff every year, documents, etc. However, I don't think we have had an injury, or if we did it was a long time ago, and I've been a member since 2002. Another thing, it's a mile and a half up a winding dirt road, and the nearest medical is (guessing) 6-8 miles away? Hope you aren't bleeding too bad, in other words.

Actually, at least in California, shooting ranges and gun clubs are dying out. Probably for legal reasons, liability, etc? I used to go to the San Gabriel Gun Club, for many years. But, they built some houses within hearing of a gunshot, and it was the same as buying a home next to a dairy and then noticing the stink. So, after about 50 years, the club lost their lease and closed because the residents were afraid of a stray bullet, which was, (more or less) the same odds and being hit by a meteor. Majority rules, unfortunately.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2017 10:21 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Cowboy Acton Shooting.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2017 12:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thanks. Now that you mention it, I know what 3 gun is. Sorta. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2017 05:41 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Three gun is a course where you use a pistol a shot gun and a rifle usually and AR its a
timed event !

[ December 28, 2017, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2017 07:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking to my grandson last night, Aaron. He treated me to dinner at a local Italian restaurant and while there, he said that he was passing through northern Arizona on his way here and thought about Paul's ranch. When I told him that you live there full time now, he said he wished he knew that, as he might have been tempted to stop in. Anyway,

What are we saying here? Is "Cowboy Action" something different from "3 gun"? All I know is, I hardly ever go to the range on weekends because its open to the public, for a fee. Therefore, its kind of crowded and organized. But, sometimes they have these events where they all dress up in cowboy clothes. All quite authentic looking. (in a Hollywood movie)

Like same, only different than those people that dress up in Civil War uniforms and "reinact". I don't quite understand it, but it seems harmless?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2017 06:28 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a bunch o' GSW's over the years. Always amazed at how little damage a handgun can do on the outside, often just a tiny hole weeping a little blood out and maybe a glob of subcutaneous fat plugging it. Years of skinning and shooting m
gave me a good basis for the internal trauma to be anticipated. Fella has to really know his anatomy to know how fast to drive to the ER.

Anyway, funny story, if a self inflicted GSW can be funny. Old boy on my mail route. Vietnam vet, Harley biker, the whole nine yards. Last winter, he was messing around with a .357 in his living room when he experienced an unfortunate a/d. The good news is that the bullet traveled down the calf from just behind his knee, exiting out the outside of his lower leg above the ankle without catching any bone, nerves of vessels. The trauma surgeon told him that the gun was so close to his skin that the bullet didn't have time to open up, so the wound track was pretty much clean all the way through.

What was funny, and you gotta know this salty old bastard to really appreciate this, is that I saw him about a week post-injury. His leg was all wrapped up and he was sitting outside on a warmer than usual day. He was relating to me the events of that night when he became visibly agitated about "the fucking cops" who showed up ahead of EMS.

As the medics are treating and packaging him for transport, one of the cops asks him if there is any chance he might be suicidal. He replied, and I guarantee you he said this, "Yeah. Sure, you stupid fucker. I wanted to kill myself by shooting myself in the fucking leg so I could lay here bleeding for a fucking week until I finally died. Dumbass."

This guy is a true artist with the F-bomb. LOL His wife said the cop just shrunk under that retort and mumbled something about how he had to ask. LOL

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2017 02:48 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Lance that is truly funny. I just love the questions they are required to ask a t Dr.'s office I have a lot of fun with them at least they find the humor. Am I frightened in my own home I usually reply Oh you've met my wife. Do you have guns in the home , no I keep them with me ! My Dr. knew I always carried and she was okay with
that !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters