The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » "Short Bus" .223AI...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Short Bus" .223AI...
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2017 11:57 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So, a while back, I grabbed a lightly used barreled action in .223AI for a real good deal. I believe Geordie knows the 'smith who chambered it? (Wade S.) Already have .223AI dies for my 6x45AI, and tons of brass, so WTF!?! Got a call in to McMillan for a whacked out 'swirly' A3 & the wait ensued...

After having KMW cheekpiece hardware installed, finally got the stock back in hand. Quick mix up of some MarineTex to bed it all together, slap a scope on top, trigger & detachable magazine bottom metal underneath, and "Short Bus" is off to the races!!!

-

Been fireforming new Win brass for it the last couple weekends, and really pleased with how well this sucker shoots! Literally did zero load work, just cranked up Quickload to guesstimate a safe load with TAC powder and 75Amaxes, seated .005" off 'jam' length. Fits just nice in an AICS magazine, and they feed & eject beautifully...
 -

Here's the good part! A 5 and 10 shot group @ 200yds (that is a 1" paster). Solid < 0.5moa with no workup, that's the kinda stuff that'll make ya grin...
 -

Don't worry Leonard, this .223AI won't be a coyote rifle! But I reckon it'll fuck some woodchucks up in a few months [Smile]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2017 01:16 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2017 02:51 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
They are fun. I have two. First one with a 1-8 twist that would pass as a factory Rem LVSF model, it shoots the 75 AMAX with RL-15 Almost but not as tight as yours. The other with a 1-12 #4 Shilen cut and threaded at 18", and with my can attached shoots stupid accurate out to 300.

It's a lot of fun banging steel at 600 with 75gr bullets.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2017 03:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine hasn't been out of the safe in 4 years. It's way in the back row, behind the 1883 44-40 Marlin and a 308W that have been back there for ten years or so.

However, my 243AI looks a lot like Fred's picture, even same color.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2017 03:56 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Had one a while back. Sold it when I bought my 17 Tactical. Haven't missed it one bit.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2017 04:44 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice! I wouldn't mind having a fast-twist 223 AI myself someday...

Are the groups posted fire-forming loads?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2017 07:43 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you finally got it put together Fred....Wade is a good guy and one helluva a smith.....My son still talks about the time Wade handed him a surgeon chambered in .223AI along with about 200 rounds and told him he needed to shoot up this ammo, didn't want to take it home....LOL

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2017 04:49 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, yes those are fireform loads!
25.0gr TAC, new (prepped) Win brass, WSR, 75Amax @ 2.450". The gent I got this barreled action from is a match shooter & instructor. He mentioned that it was prolly the most consistently accurate rifle he ever shot. That kinda stuff ya take with a grain of salt, but color me 'inspired'!

Can't wait to see how this thing will shoot with a worked up load & formed brass! Heck, might even run it in a match, this summer. Already on a standby list for a Pro-Am rifle match, mid April, in PA. And a new 1K range in MA (Granby) is ~3hrs. drive & is gonna host monthly precision rifle matches. Been a long time coming to the northeast, sure hope these matches will be a big hit...

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2017 07:02 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Love it when it all comes together. And I know you'll make the most of it Fred!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2017 10:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why, in spite of all the conventional wisdom, that fire forming loads seem to group much better than expected?

With that little nugget in mind, follow along with the benchrest practice of almost virtual absolute minimum resizing, in order to shoot tite groups?

We have discovered "neck sizing" and then trashed neck sizing in favor of back to the drawing board full length resizing. Do you ever feel like the free information highway, the gold standard, is circular?

Where are we as far as jamming bullets in the chamber versus backing off a cunthair, or two?

Accuracy wisdom is current, and some "yesterday" info is laughable. How about barrel break in? Or, not? But, if you do, what is the charmed method, this week?

Define ACCURACY? If a rifle barrel won't hold under a half an inch, do we sell it at steep discount? What's the story with barrel harmonics and a suppressor? Umm, doesn't matter any more, or does a fluted bolt cancel the effect? Just kidding.

Opinions? Is anybody here, an accuracy buff?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 28, 2017, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2017 03:01 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be an accuracy buff but that was a long time ago. Now I'm just a simple accuracy snob.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2017 05:46 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, seems like one gets to a practical limit of diminishing returns, if killin' stuff holds precedence over seeking the ultimate in accuracy...
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2017 07:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think it's a good idea to pay attention to what the accuracy nuts are doing. But, as with a smorgasbord, pick and choose what seems useful in your application.

You do realize that killing coyotes doesn't require guilt edge accuracy. I'm very reluctant to shoot past 400 yards and with the right chambering, that doesn't require me to hold off fur.

The night shots tend to be longer. Some nights, every kill is 250 and that might not seem too difficult, until you try it. Then, you might realize that the high dollar optics are probably worth it.

It's just good to know stuff and file it away for future reference. Smorgasbord.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2017 05:02 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do the shots at night tend to be longer? Don't predators generally respond better, after dark? Or, are the shots longer at night due to spotlighting & shooting them on sight?

[ March 02, 2017, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2017 08:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose that's a fair question, Fred.

Aside from the fact that they can see you while you can see them. But, no, they are cautious at night, on the lone prairie. You learn stuff about their tactics, how they almost always circle downwind. The difference is, when they decide to circle and they don't keep you informed about that detail.

Calling from the vehicle, you generally select a spot with visibility, if possible, one with a bit of elevation and especially good shooting lanes downwind.

The thing is, concerning the way your question is framed,
quote:
Don't predators generally respond better, after dark?
Part of the reason you might think that is because you know, usually beyond doubt, that you have a responder. On a daylight stand, you could have several animals within shooting range but you never see them, especially if you don't know how to set up a stand for success.

When you have an animal coming in they really can't hide their eyes and if you have a commanding location, you are aware of their presence before they get within shooting distance. But, many times, you will see a point where they hesitate and possibly get your wind, and this is a point where you might want to take a shot, or he will turn and now you can't see him anymore as he runs off.

Anyway, that was just a casual comment that is true under some circumstances. They might be a little spooky / they have been hunted / maybe the atmospherics are unfavorable, but they all act the same on a given night. In some cases, they pull up, because they see you when the light is sweeping in another direction. Can't do much about that besides keep the light pointed above their eyes whenever you eventually pick them up.

Anyway, just as some nights they all act the same way, other times, there is no discernible pattern. We try to make sense of it but a lot is just guessing.

One of the reasons why we hunt on a new moon is because they "generally" act the same. Pitch black conditions limits their available senses to excellent hearing and very restricted vision. Even so, it's amazing how they can negotiate terrain with no moon and cloud cover so that they can't even depend on starlight. I actually believe that coyotes probably hunt less when they can't see. Yes, profound statement, is it not?

Combine a new moon with high pressure, meaning they must navigate by starlight and you have a condition where they will, (generally) respond eagerly. That should be your best conditions, assuming the wind is manageable. Of course, I like "some" wind because then you always know where they are headed, if you lose them in terrain. There is always a method to their madness, they won't do something completely off the wall. Except, sometimes if spooky, they might depart along the exact same line of approach, rather than a random scoot like from a shot.

But, your last comment is way off, like you misunderstand the whole concept.
quote:
Or, are the shots longer at night due to spotlighting & shooting them on sight?
That doesn't happen. We approach a stand as quietly as possible with lights off, then let things settle down before beginning a preliminary sweep with a choked up red or amber light. Occasionally, there might be an animal right there. Might happen once a night, might not but if he's there, you wouldn't want to spook him. These animals can be worked with nothing more than a lip squeak so consider yourself fortunate if, after a stealth approach, you work the animal very carefully.

Hell, there are so many scenarios, it's hard to cover everything. But, "spotlighting & shooting them on sight?" is not the way we do things.

I will say, that I have seen cowboys rolling the pavement with a few beers under their belt, and working a couple spotlights, and that's pretty much what they do, shoot them on sight, but more likely, shoot AT them on sight. I don't approve of those tactics. It does educate a bunch of animals and they lose sleep and waste gas, etc etc. But, there is some excitement just in seeing eyes while blasting the foxpro out the window.

I think you have done some night hunting, on foot, so you know that you don't do anything like suggested by your question. What we do is far different. You actually couldn't do it very well in AZ, but in CA and NV, it works quite well. Because the cover is so sparse, is the main reason. Nevada, and parts of California have vegetation made up primarily of stunted sagebrush. At night the visibility is generally excellent. Not so in Arizona, it's usually much brushier and sometimes it's difficult to find a spot where you could see well enough to make a shot beyond 100 yards or so. In Nevada, seeing well enough to make a clean kill at 250 is entirely possible.

Maybe if Chad is around, or Moe, they could try to cover things I haven't?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2017 10:40 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Leonard!

Reckon I was trying to equate with what I've learned from night calling here. That being, these coyotes seem much more willing to come to a call at night, compared to the day. And especially so, when calling a more 'open' stand...

IE, in the day, I'll only hope or expect a coyote to approach as far as the edge of whatever cover they're in. Whereas, at night, the inhibition of breaking cover into an open field is all about gone. Heck, I've even been back-doored (at night) by coyotes coming across a two lane highway! That shit ain't happenin' in the day here, though...

After digesting what you wrote, reckon with all that similar thick terrain type out in the vast western desert, a coyote's response (day vs. night) might not be as polarized?

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters