The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » loading for .204

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: loading for .204
243aaron
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4786

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2016 10:03 AM      Profile for 243aaron           Edit/Delete Post 
Got sick of sewing holes from the .243 so I went out and bought a .204. 22" barrel but shooting suppressed. My current load is a 32gr Nosler BT in front of 28 grains (over max) of H335. I chrono'd (15-20 degrees F outside) this load and am only avaraging around 3770 fps but would like to be closer to 3900-4k, no signs of pressure yet so will keep working up. My question to you guys...does the velocity Im getting seem correct considering my barrel length and temp or does my chronograph seem off? Also, anyone else shooting or has shot the 32gr noslers? If so how where they on fur? I've only shot a few coyotes with them but so far they look promising.
Posts: 17 | From: ND | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2016 10:26 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Its funny how you are always looking for the holy grail for bullets. And its usually staring you in the face.lol When I first started shooting the .204 ruger 10+ years ago I settled on the 35 grain berger and had fantastic results. But always trying to out do myself I tried a bunch of others.

With my latest .204 rifle a 22" CZ 527 I wanted to try the very bullet you speak of. I have had such great luck with H4895 thats what I went with. Settled on 28.5 grains and it was running around 3950 fps. But although it puts the coyotes down very well it blows them up lot of the time too. That's on around 35 coyotes I've killed with them this year. So I am back with the tried and trued 35 grain bergers and 28.2 grains of H4895 running about 3850 fps. Its funny it kills just like I remembered and fur damage is gone.

[ December 28, 2016, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2016 12:22 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
When I ran a .204,20-222 always used the 35 Berger and had great luck with it on fur.

Then again I have had great luck with the .243 as well. Use a Barnes 80 TTSX. 2 holes but very manageable. Normally in the quarter to 50 cent pc. in size.

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2016 01:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New HuntmastersBBS.com, 243aaron. Glad o have you on board.

Sorry you had to wait, I'm pretty bad on checking the waiting list for approval. But, it was good that you squawked because there were about a hundred others, 75% of which were spam.

As far as the rifle in question is concerned, I can't help you, but if these guys weigh in on the subject, it's good advice.

As a general rule, the Noslers are a tough bullet and the Bergers have a couple good qualities, first of all they are generally accurate and second, both the target and varmint bullets seem to do a good job on coyote size game.

As to your velocity, I'd say you might have (some) room to experiment with other loads, different powders, etc. but you still might not reach 4 grand in a 22" barrel. And, it might not be that important except a little more leeway on the distant targets as far as the midrange trajectory goes.

Now as far as what Brent mentioned, sure a 243 is a lot of gun for fur, but there are bullets that are a little less explosive. It's a crap shoot, but as I mentioned above, the Noslers are generally regarded as a less explosive bullet than others. I suppose you have a standard 1X10 twist? I used to use the Sierra 60 grain HP, and although I wouldn't call it a fur bullet, many times it didn't exit. You can get burnt playing that game, but the whole idea is take advice and do your own homework and hopefully you will rewarded.

All things considered, for fur, you are headed in the right direction. Might sound counter productive, but backing off your load 1.5-2 grains might do what you want done. You just have to keep your options open and go with what works.

So, good Luck, El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2016 02:20 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
UTcaller...what is your OAL on your cartridge?

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2016 05:03 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
booger, it is 2.240"
243aaron
Member # 4786

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2016 07:02 PM      Profile for 243aaron           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the good info, sounds like I'm gonna have to order some of the 35gr bergers. Those 80 TTSX sound like a good bullet, might have to give them a shot once I use up all my 100gr sierras which are a great bullet most of the time when it comes to saving fur.

Leonard...no problem on the wait. I tried the 70 grain nosler ballistic tip a few years back in the .243, shot three coyotes with them and I didn't like what I saw, huge holes and spinning coyotes so back to the Sierras.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2016 08:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, not the 70 Noslers! I never had a runner but every kill was like run over on the freeway, terrible damage! As a contest hunter, a fine bullet but most were damaged to the point where you would just throw them behind some bushes rather than try to skin them.

That's just about the only Nosler that does that kind of damage at 243 velocities.

And, the 100 Sierra, for some reason is not to be trusted if it hits major bone. I used to load it for deer in my 6MM and sometimes would shoot a coyote while deer hunting. Total crapshoot, you never know, major damage or practically no damage except an exit.

Well, good luck,
El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2016 04:28 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
aaron, I got 3900+ outta a 35 Berger from my 23" .20TAC using H322. The bit faster burn rate of H322 might be worth a try in your 22" .204?

As for that 80TTSX, it killed a couple deer outta the 6x45AI this season. And they shoot so good, I don't know if I even wanna switch back to the 87Vmaxs for calling! If a fox happens to stroll into a stand, I know I'd rather shoot it with the TTSX, over turning it into fur jell-o with the Vmax.

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2016 07:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good idea on the H322, faster burn rate and the length of your barrel. Our Fred comes up with a nugget once in a while.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2016 10:14 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
The most accurate bullet out of my 204 was the 35 gr Berger. However, after losing 3 coyotes in one day with it I decided it wasn't what I wanted to hunt with. I got the scoop an what to use from Tawnoper and tried the 40 gr BT and it killed a whole lot better.

But that's just me. The Nosler didn't tear them up at all and most of the time never exited. I used H4895. The H322 didn't cut it in my CZ. Also, the Nosler didn't group near as well as the Berger but killed better.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2016 10:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say to that is; every rifle is a law unto itself. H322 might be the cat's ass in one rifle and inaccurate and subpar velocity in another. The 40 gr, BT might be the most accurate in one gun but don't kill worth a shit in another. All we can go by is trends or averages but sometimes it's a rare combo that produces the results we are looking for.

On the other hand, it's always worthwhile to find out what works for other people. Saves a lot of grief.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2016 01:41 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention another bullet I had good luck with. The 45 grain Hornady Soft Point. 3600 fps good B.C (.245). Has always done a good job for me killing coyotes with very little damage.
243aaron
Member # 4786

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2017 08:22 PM      Profile for 243aaron           Edit/Delete Post 
Got the 35 grain bergers ordered and those 45 grain horndays are next on the list to try! Looking forward to putting some coyotes on the stretchers with them.
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2017 04:54 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

That 45 grain bullet was always one I wanted to try. Once I decided to give them a go Hornaday had suspended production of them and still has as far as I know.
How was it on fur? Two holes I assume?

Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2017 06:44 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Brent yes usually two holes. Very rarely the exit hole was larger than a quarter. But even when you hit bone it anchored them. They seemed to be alot like the 22 caliber 55 grain sierra game kings. About the same B.C too. I just ordered a couple boxes of Ammo from graf and sons to see how they are with my New CZ .204 If they kill like I remember I will load me up a bunch. I think I still have a couple boxes of bullets left . I think graf and sons still has the bullets but I will double check and if the y do I will post the link.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/6103

Good Hunting Chad

[ January 07, 2017, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

243aaron
Member # 4786

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 08:50 AM      Profile for 243aaron           Edit/Delete Post 
The 35gr bergers worked pretty well for me, I did buy some of those 45s to mess with this summer as well.

I also loaded up some 80gr ttsx and shot a few coyotes with them. I'm now hooked on those! First coyote I shot with them was quartering towards me.. bullet entered just on inside of the front left shoulder and exited through the guts just in from of the back right leg. Quarter sized exit hole!! I was amazed. It's going to be tough for me to shoot the. 204 when I can get small exits with the .243

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 03:32 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
aaron, my 6x45AI whacked a couple whitetails with those 80TTSXs, last season. Even at modest MV of 2900, they blew two holes clear thru on broadside impacts...nice bullet!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 05:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious. I'm not coming up with a name. What is an 80TTSX? A non destructive 6mm bullet is worth remembering. I can't think of one that I would stake my life on, and I've tried a bunch.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 06:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Its a Barnes Product. Lead free, so its Cali-legit, too [Wink]

Basically, Barnes added a polymer tip to some TSX boolits. Hence, the "T" prefix...

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 06:22 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a broadside exit on a whitetail, how's that for fur friendly?
 -

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 07:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Fred!

Actually, I should have figured it out, makes sense.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: great illustration!

[ April 19, 2017, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters