The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » STOCKING UP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STOCKING UP
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 22, 2016 06:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I DID SOMETHING, (oops) cap lock/ yesterday for the hell of it.

Understand, I'm not a big time shooter although I am a member of the Westend Gun Club. I test loads, work up loads, but I'm not up there for "practice" on a regular basis.

Also, I handload quite a bit although it's tedious policing up 45ACP and 40S&W brass. Much easier dumping revolver empties and of course, bolt action rifle.

Anyway, to get to the point, I ordered about $400 worth of handgun ammo yesterday, from Midway. I guess it had something to do with the new law here in The People's Republik. Restrictions on purchasing ammo. And, I haven't actually read it, maybe it won't kick in totally until 2018, don't know?

So, I am over reacting because I'm just stockpiling this stuff, I don't have an immediate need. But, I guess it doesn't hurt to keep some extra on the shelf? If you lived here, you might understand. And, this is the third time, it's all still collecting dust. I might be over reacting, when I think about it?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ September 22, 2016, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2016 08:33 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean, LB...I guess I am contributing to the shortage of .22LR ammo. It never bothered me before to walk by .22's on the shelf when they were not in short supply.

I just can't help myself when I finally see them on the shelf, I pick up a couple of boxes of 100 every time...won't tell you how much I have on my shelves...it might be embarrassing! [Smile]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2016 08:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one item I actually don't have much of. I don't like to pay the premium they are asking, it's either crazy, or the new normal?

I looked at a lot at Midway and there was nothing available for less than eleven cents per round. Lot's of premium target stuff for 25 cents each. Beyond my ability and I won't do that again, but I did buy some expensive Lapua rimfire last time. Still regret it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2016 09:36 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Been pretty lucky...haven't paid more than 7 cents per round.

Been buying the 100 round boxes at Wally World for $7 each.

Last month I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods, and they had Federal AutoMatch 325 boxes for buy one at $24.00 and get the next one half off. Brought the cost down on those to 5.5 cents per round. Guess I need to start shooting some of them so I am not considered a 'hoarder'!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah well I'm very jealous!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 24, 2016 09:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we stocking up out there in Cyberland, or not? Prudence dictates a little or a lot of $ expenditures. Come on, admit it!

Components; I got that covered nine ways from Sunday.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2016 04:34 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been stocking up on ammo and on firearms that I've always wanted. Buy it now in case the bitch of benghazi steals her way into office. The latest firearm is a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm auto.

-

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2016 07:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that's a serious piece! I wouldn't mind one of those, myself.

I was talking to my pool man a couple days ago and he said that he was to the range with his son, and he had a "desert" something and it was loud?

I said Desert Eagle? He said it was very powerful, and I said not especially, mentioned the 500 S&W and the 460Ruger.

Anyway, he said his son said he paid $1200 for it.

At BassProShops this afternoon, I saw a Desert Eagle in 44Mag. and it was $1800. I'm still not impressed.

But, whatever floats your boat.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

MI VHNTR
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2016 05:12 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
The new Colt 1911s are very well made. If you are looking at a 1911, Colt is pretty hard to beat. Since I already have a Colt 1911 in 45 ACP, I wanted more horsepower in case a predator shows up, two or four legged. This bear has been hanging around the camp lately, even in the middle of the day. That's my gate in the background.

-

PS I'm not interested in a Desert Eagle either.

--------------------

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 07:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm looking forward to my CARE PACKAGE, supposed to be delivered tomorrow? 28 pounds of stockpile. I doubt I will actually ever use it all?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 02:23 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
MIVHNTR, have you fired any hot 10mm ammo out of the Colt yet?

I was wondering how the cases are holding up due to the pressure fired out of the Colt.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 04:59 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
For initial break-in, I fired 10mm subsonic Winchester 180 gr HP loads. Next were Remington UMC 10mm 180 gr FMJ range loads. I also fired Georgia Arms 155 gr Gold Dot HP loads rated @1375 FPS and Georgia Arms 180 gr Gold Dot HP loads rated @1150 FPS.

I also have fired some Federal Trophy Bonded JSP 180 gr @1275 FPS loads. This is my woods carry load.

A friend has run Underwood ammo in his Delta Elite with zero problems, including their 165 gr offering @ 1,400 fps without issues.

[ September 27, 2016, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: MI VHNTR ]

--------------------

FJB Let's Go Brandon

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 06:24 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I like that Underwood 165 grain load.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I might have gone overboard on the 40S&W? I hate picking up brass and this Shield tosses them far. It really makes you appreciate a revolver. But, $400 doesn't make a very impressive stack.

This is kinda new to me, I don't (usually) buy a lot of factory ammo. I don't buy ANY factory rifle ammo. I couldn't say the last time I bought a box of factory, more than likely, never?

PS If I ever get interested in this old Marlin 44-40 I "might" buy factory ammo for it? I think it's a Model 1883, it's seen a lot of action: if it could talk?

TTYL LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters