The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Cold bore shot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold bore shot
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2016 06:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 6.5x47L that I'm working with that requires 2 shots to settle in. Wondering if there is anything I can do to fix it? Any ideas?
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2016 07:06 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
barrel weight/contour? Bedded stock or chassis? How well does it shoot after it 'settles in'?

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2016 07:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a rem varmint contour bedded in a b&c target competition stock. Today in 15-20 mph winds it agged .45, 3 3 shot groups. It will shoot a little better than that but the load is only roughed in so far. Need to fine tune powder charge and seating depth still. I'll see if I can get a picture of what I'm dealing with.
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2016 07:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[ August 08, 2016, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Rhoades ]

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2016 07:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I finally got it. I'll explain as the picture is, rather than how it would be if the picture was correctly oriented. Top right was my cold bore and one more. The higher one was the first one, then I shot the group on the top left, then the middle diamond, then the bottom left. I guess what I'm wondering is will the problem go away with a different powder/primer/seating depth, neck tension? Or is it in the barrel and I can't do anything about it? Another thing that may be important, I only have about 70 rounds through it.

[ August 08, 2016, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Rhoades ]

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2016 08:16 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, my two cents.....I don't necessarily believe in the 'cold bore' poi shift theory. If a rifle is properly bedded and mounted in a stock securely, flying cold bores are more a reflection of the shooter or the 'actual' accuracy of the rifle.....or both. Instead of shooting a three shot group with your cold bore, try a ten shot group.

Also, how good are you at shooting groups? I don't mean that disrespectfully (I'm really not that good....I hate doing it). In other words, if you have other rifles that you can get to group in the .1's and .2's than thats great. I hope you get where I'm going with this. I have had days I handed a rifle off to a buddy to verify my dope because I was having a down day. This is a lot easier to try than changing powder, primers, bullets, seating depth etc etc etc. Again, my .02.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2016 08:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Copy that, completely understand. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Although I have shot some really small groups, I'm not a benchrest shooter, just seems like every time I shoot it, the first couple are off then it starts shooting.

[ August 08, 2016, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Rhoades ]

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2016 03:29 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
+1 to what Geordie said.

Additionally, I'd recommend "breaking your position" in between shots. If you're shooting off a bench, literally get off the bench and pick the rifle up off the rest...
If you're shooting prone, same thing. Stand up between shots, then re-address the rifle from straight behind and build a good position...

If that 1st shot 'flier' mysteriously ceases, that will allow a good indication of what the issue is. Its either the rifle 'settling' into the rest/bipod, or you settling into position, or a combination of the two...

Another good way to help with a 1st round flier is to "dry fire" on target before actually shooting a live round. We're not robots, and it doesn't take much to send a round outside of a given group. By dry firing, you're allowing your body to 'remember' what it feels like to break a clean shot using proper form...

If you'e still seeing that 1st round flier after re-building your position between shots & dry firing, then I'd look into a mechanical issue with the rifle's stock bedding.

Good luck!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2016 03:34 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you may want to shoot some 'dot drills'

Using one aiming point per shot will help break the unconscious spell of trying to shoot tiny groups all the time. Instead, you just hafta hit a tiny dot, each time... [Wink]
 -

Lots of free targets available, google is your friend!

[ August 09, 2016, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2016 07:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess it's what you perceive, but personally, I can't see anything about two shots being strays from a cold bore? I mean really, if that were the case, that barrel would be practically useless, to me. I think all shots should fall withing the group, in a decent barrel.

What you are seeing in some circumstances, could be a bedding problem, although it's doubtful in this case....I assume you check those things? Back to basics, what about the mount and the scope itself? If it's repeatable, that is straight out of bizzaro world, that stuff just doesn't happen. Have somebody else do the shooting, just for sake of argument.

Aside from all that, in this type of rifle, I think it's hard to beat 5 shot groups for evaluation purposes. Three shots is okay for maybe magnums, but what you have is a semi accuracy rig and five shot groups are how you separate the pepper from the fly shit.

And, if cold bore has any validity at all, and of course, it does, I'm not understanding TWO foulers? Does not compute?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2016 07:42 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to a guy today that shoots bench rest 22LR. His $5000 rig takes 3 shots to settle in, then he starts shooting at the dots similar to the target Fred posted. Once he's done, he takes the bolt out and everyone walks down to post new targets. When he get's back, he has to fire 3 more rounds to settle in.

It'd drive me nuts to be in that rig so deep and have to do that.

And then we have situations like I was in a couple of weeks ago. I was trying a new scope and shot 1, 10 round group that looked like a blind man was shooting. I remembered proper form and proceeded to shoot a nice group with my light weight Noveske machine gun. It sure didn't need 10 shots to settle in but I did.
 -

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted August 12, 2016 07:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that does have a bit of validity. Sometimes you sorta have your head up your ass, or it's the coffee or something else. There are various and sundry reasons for not doing your best.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters