The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 'Chuckin'...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Chuckin'...
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 08:19 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Had a banner 3 day weekend up at the farm. Fields were fresh cut and there seems to have been a bumper crop of 'chucks around! Got together with a buddy up there and we took 26 off his farms in a day and a 1/2. Incredible stuff!

I spent the 2nd afternoon on our farm and got 5
chucks whacked. Couple of these were 'spot & stalk' type stealth missions, complete with 2-300yd belly crawls to get into shooting position. The effort made it extra fun to snipe them!

Absolutely destroyed one with the 6.5SAUM/140JLKs, looked like I hit a pint of Smuckers strawberry jelly!

Campaigned the .17 Predator for quite a few of the rest, and that lil' 30Gold sure makes a sweet sound when it thumps into a big ol' chuck!
 -

Candidate for 'hogzilla'. No exit on this hummer!
 -

And, of course, my trusty 'chuck retriever was all too happy to get busy after the shot!
 -

Long hits were 470 & 491yds with the 6x45AI/87Vmax. That cartridge is a pisser, but dicey in the wind past 300...

Good times!

[ July 05, 2016, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
92soggy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 09:47 AM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice shooting, That looks like a lot of fun! I just got back from a trip to Idaho for whistle pigs and chucks. Didn't get a single one, think it was too late in the year/ too hot. Had the 22 dasher all ready to go with 55 vmax loaded up and and didn't fire a single shot.
We did get a few badgers and rabbits with the .45 and 22-250 so it was still fun.

[ July 05, 2016, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: 92soggy ]

Posts: 39 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 12:38 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Good, good fun!

Happy to see a pic of Pokey too, been awhile. Saw a dog looked almost like a twin on the way to Yellowstone a couple weeks ago, made me think of you guys.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 12:40 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to add - you grow 'em big back there!

We get into a few jumbos out in the irrigated farm stuff. But I don't hunt that very often - private, permission required, all that crap I refuse to deal with.

The wild ones I usually go after, run quite a bit smaller.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that Pokey does it all! Has he tried reloading yet?
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2016 04:17 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish, Mark!
Pokey really likes to 'hunt' chucks and will dig on an active hole all day if I don't stop him. Damdest thing is, he seems to know exactly which one of those burrowing bastids daddy just popped, and makes for the hole like a missile! Funny to see him get one above ground to take his frustrations out on, LOL.

We'll be family camping in the 'Dacks next week. Pokey digs that stuff, too...
 -

Dave, these 'chucks have it good up here. Alfalfa, clover, soybeans...if one can survive a couple years, they can make for quite a big target!!! Silver-backed pasture grizzlys! IIRC, this one from last year was over 12 lbs. Got it while FF-ing 6x45AI loads [Smile]
 -

P.S.
Coulda been a Pokey relative you saw, Dave. He flew here from Idaho @ 8 weeks old! Six years ago, already & he's still a maniac...

[ July 06, 2016, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2016 04:47 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, really could have been a relative. Saw him in Idaho Falls.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2016 06:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, that is a fair size chuck! And, also, Fred, that is a good looking dog, what kind is it? He looks a little like a Viszla, to me? Or like that chick Dana Perino on The Five's dog. She doesn't have any kids, just a red dog that she brags on all the time.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2016 08:06 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard.
He's a mutt, but a purpose bred one.
Best I gathered from his lineage, he's 88% Kemmer Mt. cur, 6% Redbone & 6% Kamphouse Plott hound.

The red color & athletic build default most to deduce "Vizsla". We've run across a few Vizslas, and the differences are more discernible when side by side. Mostly in how they move, Pokey's got a certain gait & agility level that make alot of dogs seem as though they're wearing cement shoes, in comparison...

My buddy has a real nice GSP, a breed more closely matched to a Vizsla's body type & gait. They're good pals...
 -

Pardon, but it doesn't take much to get to braggin him up. That lil' red nutball is my constant companion, my pride & joy!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters