The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Poll on gun ownership

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poll on gun ownership
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 08:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, we have probably quite a few firearms scattered amongst our members. I watched (I think) on Oreilli one night recently, he talked about the asshole in Oregon and exclaimed, "wow, this guy owned 14 guns!"

Sounds like my wife. But, you know, guns have specific purpose. A trap gun is a little different from one you might use for dove or quail, and you could go through all the various types, centerfire, rimfire, concealable handguns, big game rifles, sophisticated target rifles, and on and on.

Bottom line, they add up rather quickly.

So, without further ado, could we have an informal survey here on how many guns we own, without getting super specific? For instance, I own about twenty-five guns of all sizes and shapes.

Please share.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 09:52 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
my count qualifies me as having an arsenal. But it don't take much to fit that bill these days. About one brick of 22 lr and a gun to use it in.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 09:53 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Oreilly doesnt like hunting and he was flabergasted if you own more than one firearm.

Yeah, Bill....there are a ton of people that have a lot of guns. They hunt different game, they shoot recreationally, and they collect. Whodathunkit!!

Heres a word, used in a sentence, he can look up the meaning of, like he always gives at the end of his show...

"Dont be a "DIPSHIT" when speaking about guns and freedom in this country."

This is America motherfucker.

I own more than 1....and at this point in time with all the traitors running this country, I aint volunteering exact numbers or anything else to anybody.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's crap, Mark. I don't know what you would be afraid of? I didn't ask you to vouchsafe exact numbers, vague numbers would do just fine, 5 or 10, around three dozen, etc. It's not illegal, yet. I am just trying to get an idea if we here are way above average, since the numbers I hear; 300 million for a population of 320 million citizens tend to indicate that an average household of 3.5 people would have around three guns in the home.

Any brave souls out there that could help satisfy my curiosity? Anybody? Damn, what kind of bunker mentality has enveloped here?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 10:58 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Not afraid of anything...just being as difficult and closed minded as the "other side" on this subject.. So be it.
Mark

[ October 22, 2015, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 03:06 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll fess up... sorta. [Wink]

Last time we made count, with serial numbers and everything for my Dad's insurance, we had 131 firearms in the house, divided among 4 of us (and a couple held in safe keeping for a friend or two).

I know at least a handful more have made their way into the "horde" since then, as that was a few years or more ago.

The thing that would really freak ol' Bill out, most of all, though, would likely be the 20+ pounds of powder and the cases of multiple thousands of rounds or ammunition... we've got enough mil-surp .308 to defend ourselves (and our Country) quite well... from any threat, foreign or domestic!

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 03:11 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
that's no shit Krusty, the way the libs freak out over the number of guns in ones house, they may really throw up in their mouths if they found out how much, ammo., or components to make ammo., many people have.
My "stash" is quite mild compared to some that I have seen.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2015 05:51 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I own three, I think,,,,, aw heck, I better go and recount them.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2015 03:39 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If something needs shot, I got something to shoot it with.
Same as footwear, its nice to something to fit the occasion...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2015 04:40 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have 8 rifles here and 1 at my dads. 7 pistols as of yesterday.

The thing that I find odd is when they make a raid and lay out all the ammo on a table next to a few guns. I'm usually embarrassed for the guys, both the turd and the cops who think they've found an Arsenal.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
DanS, that has to be the biggest fib, all week! Might even qualify for the month of October!

This has not turned out to be such a good topic. <shrug>

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2015 07:51 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got about as many guns as I have bows.
I have a lot of bows.
[Wink]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2015 04:25 AM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea. Grizz

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2015 04:44 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
I HAD a gun or two, but they all fell overboard when I was duck hunting with john kerry and the boat was swamped.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2016 10:35 AM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Ten

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2016 12:54 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I seldom hunt big game anymore but I own a big game rifle. I quit hunting waterfowl when my lab died but I still own my shotguns. Same with upland birds but I still own a 20 gauge O/U. I have a Red Ryder BB gun and a pellet rifle that my wife bought for her son. He was going nuts with the thing and one night when he left it outside I confiscated it. He still thinks someone stole it and is afraid to admit to leaving it outside.

I have one shotgun that was given to me by a family member years ago. A model 12 Winchester made in 1946. When I first got it I bought a box of Bismuth and killed a limit of geese with it and it hasn't left the safe since.

Then I have my predator rifles. I have a few of those in the safe but my favorites are my Sako 22-250, one of the originals that look just like the Forester 243 and my Vixen 223 AI. There might be a Swift in there, too, but I'm looking to sell it. I just sold my CZ 204 to a good friend. I'll admit it. Tim kills the hell out of coyotes and bobcats with a 204 but in my hands I saw a lot of run offs. Hell, one is too many. I don't get that with the 22-250 or even the 223 AI.

I've owned a lot of guns in my life but I'm not a gun nut. To me a gun is a tool and is designed to do a specific job. That's why I own more than one.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 01:46 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with moe. The guns I own for the most part are tools. I do have a couple that have sentimental value.
I have a big game rifle that collects dust and has done for a number of years because I too don't hunt big game anymore.
I have a few revolvers.
My shotguns are a Benelli M2, a 870 Wingmaster I bought close to 40 years ago, and a Belgium made Browning Auto 5 that belonged to my Grandfather.
Then I have my Coyote and Varmint rifles. A Remington 700 that I bought as a .22-250 Rem. back in the 80's, shot it out and rebarreled to .22-250AI, a .17 Tactical, a .17 Ackley Hornet, a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger, and a CZ 452 in .17 hmr. And a Remington .22 long rifle I got as a a kid. That's it. Sold the rest of what I had a few years back.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 03:06 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I sold most of mine too.

Still have more than I need and have been trying to talk myself into getting rid of one or two more. Only hanging onto them for basically sentimental value, but, they are rifles I bought/built not family heirlooms or anything. Just overly fancy overly expensive colony varmint rifles. They are the most accurate I own, and I think that's part of why I'm having trouble letting go too.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 04:00 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too [Smile]
I'm doing more with less, these days...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 06:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm?

It seems that I have gradually transitioned from hoarder to warehouser, in attitude? I am actually thinking of downsizing but I don't know where to start?

Start with what I don't use, or seldom use? Start with what holds no, or very little sentimental value? Just weed out duplicates?

And, therein lies the dilemma. Since I am still actively acquiring. What to do and how to do it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 07:01 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That's how my Dad is Leonard. My gawd he's got a lot of guns. Shotguns,rifles,pistols. Dating back to the 20's. It will definitely be a long tetious process for me and my two brothers to go through them when he passes on. But he's got some really nice ones that are worth a shit load of money.

Good Hunting Chad

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 07:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad had a shit load too. That is part (but only a part) of why I decided to get rid of most of mine.

But when Dad passed, family just assumed all of them should go to me. I refused. Cherry picked just a few - not the most valuable, either, just the only ones I actually cared abou. Then doled out the rest to my sisters.

Which, they were happy to get them. Then. Now, they are starting to see having so many guns they have absolutely no use for as a burden. But, because they were Dad's, they don't feel right selling them either. When asked, I tell them just to sell the guns. My guess, is their kids will have to deal with that eventually.

Anyway, that wasn't my main motivation, but not burdening my family with a shit ton of guns when I die was part of my reason for drastically downsizing.

The biggest reason though, it was simply a whole lot of money tied up in doing absolutely nothing. All my camera gear was paid for by selling guns. A family vacation was paid for by selling guns. Was able to keep my nose above water in a sea of medical bills last year by selling guns.

All better uses for the resources they represented than collecting dust - which is all they were doing anymore.

Close to the nitty gritty now though. Only a couple left I think should probably go. The rest are staying for the duration.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 08:12 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's how I feel. Kind of a burden to deal with all of them. There are a few I would like to keep for sentimental reasons and maybe a couple 700's in .223 and .222 that might get used as donors for subcalibers. But most will get sold.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 08:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be on a similar wavelength, but California is not a place to easily dispose of unneeded guns. I have come to appreciate the "burden" angle and recognize that heirs might not have a use for what they consider a "pink elephant". Shit, might as well stack them at the curb on trash day with a "FREE" sign. No wonder they have those donate ads in American Rifleman.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I just remembered offering to buy a certain rifle from Dave not too long ago and he wasn't interested?

[ May 24, 2016, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters