The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 2nd project.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2nd project.
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 07:26 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why, but for some reason I decided I needed another 6mm rifle. Being in this predicament, I ordered a SS 1-8 twist Bartlein in the 2b contour. Took about a week for it to arrive. Then off to Bob, my gun plumber, to be installed on a Rem 700 CM action that was just hiding in the back of the safe in a bottom corner.

He trued up the action a little. I have good lug contact now, and the face and threads or trued up. Barrel threaded, cut, crowned, installed. Almost took him a whole week to get this all done. [Smile]

I bedded it and wrapped another Weinig stock on it to make it shootable. Bastonge walnut this time. this stock has some checkering done on the forearm, but again, I put off finishing it for whatever reason. I actually left the factory trigger on it, (for now). It breaks about 3 1/4 lbs.

Now I need to load up some boolits and shoot this rascal. BTW, it is a 6 XC. I bought the reamer, has about 5 chambers cut with it and they all shoot very well.

-

-

-

LB, this one already has sling swivel studs installed. This stock originally was on a 308 Win with a Hart barrel. I had Bob cut the barrel to 22" from the recoil lug forward. The rifle weighs as shown at 8 3/4 lbs.

[ July 03, 2015, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 04:36 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Dan.

What you going to be shooting out of it? What are you going to be shooting with it?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 06:38 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely will shoot a few coyotes with it, and a maybe a few deer. I guess feral pigs will be nice too.

Right now, mostly paper. [Smile]

I shot some 65 Vmax's today. First three shots at 50 yads after bore sighting.

-

Adjusted scope, took three shots at 100.

-

[ July 03, 2015, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 08:41 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you're sighted and ready to go!
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad shooting....for a Marine.

(just kidding)

Thanks for the info, I always worry about those swivels.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. A 6mm chambered in a decent cartridge is sufficient for many applications. I brought two rifles to Africa, a Model 600 in 6mmRemington and a 700 in 300WinMag. I never even shot the 300 after sighting it in at the range. Every animal, from warthogs to kudu, to jackal, I killed with that little 6mm.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a fan of the 6mm Rem since it came out. If I were going to build another rifle I would chamber it in 6mm Rem Ackley Improved.

The trouble is that here in Oregon you're restricted to .224 and below for coyotes during deer season in the east part of the state.

Nice looking rifle and it seems to be a shooter as well.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2015 06:48 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Beautiful AND a good shooter! That is just nice all around!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2015 09:04 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, you sure had a nice run of pretty stocks to occupy! Very sharp lookin' rifle!!! Are you going to mess with any heavier bullets from that 1:8?

Just gettin' to mess around with a 1:8 6mm flavor here too. Got a bit less horsepower than your XC, though...
 -

Fireform loads blow the shoulders out nice, and it's hammerin' pretty good, too...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2015 03:41 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I have a few different 6mm wildcats. Everyone knows what a 6mmBR and 243 look like so I'll skip those.

I have a light varmint weight 26" 6xc in 1-8 that loves the Hornady 105's and Sierra 107's. Bottom pic has one round loaded with the 105. The middle round is my 6mm Cheapshot. That is a 6x47 (6mm 222mag) with a 262 neck, and the reamer was chambered .085" short so I use 223 brass. It only has a 1-12 twist. The 55gr NBT's and those zombie bullets shoot fantastic out of it. Hits coyotes a little harder than a 223 pictured on the left for size comparison.

Edited, I just realize the picture has turned so the 223 is on top.

-

[ July 15, 2015, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2015 03:54 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reference pic, Dan!
I remember you mentioning that stubbed 6x47 a while back. Thought Brent claimed that one, LOL?

Like the "Cheapshot" moniker too, that's the reason I had that 6x45AI built. Got plenty of goodies to keep that sucker fed for a looong time. Heck, the rifle will be cheaper to load for, than buying quality match ammo for the .22LR!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters