The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Fur's Savage build - 22-250 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Fur's Savage build - 22-250
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 10 posted January 09, 2015 05:54 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all the 22-250 talk on this forum ; I decided to do a build in this caliber. Its about time! For those interested, I thought I would document..

First of all, the build will be designed around the Gemtech Sandstorm silencer (suppressor). The gov took my money, so its in the "waiting" period. The vendor says 4 months if I'm lucky. We'll see.

I got a great start when I found a used Stevens 200 at the Reno Cabelas (turns out, its new). New on the rack for $250. My buddy in Tucson bore scoped it, an swears its a new 22-250 barrel! I'll hold on to that barrel, but I have purchased a Mcgowen barrel. I've heard these are good "mid" grade barrels. Actually, the whole build is going to use good stuff , but not crazy top of the line. My original budget was $1200, However, when its done, it should look like one those fancy $3500 customs. ;-)

I really wrestled with Ackley vs. REM. Bottom-line, for a 21" barrel and just getting into reloading, I decided to do 22-250 REM.

Anyway, here's the break down of components. Build won't be done for awhile, you know how it goes!

Below is a pic of the Bell and Carlson Medalist. I really like the stock w/ the alum bed!

-

Stevens 200 = $250
Stock - B&C Medalist = $268
Barrel - Mcgowen ; threaded, chambered,
varmit contour = $240 (excellent deal)
trigger - SSS = $102
SSS competition recoild lug = $28
SSS bolt handle = $40
SSS custom bolt flute = $50
go gauge = $30
Scope Rail = $39.99
Cerakote = $200

Total = $1248

It will be fun to try and get below 1/2 MOA with reloading..

[ January 09, 2015, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 06:03 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats gonna be nice!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 06:03 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that Zeiss terra on the table is for sale! ;-)

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 06:09 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool !!

IMR 4166 ? I must be behind the times ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
IMR 4166 is apparently the new varget.. We'll see

Temperature insensitive and burn rates similar to varget!

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 07:07 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, All-Righty then !!

I'll check it out, Varget has served me well in the past. It's worked well in multiple calibers, I've used it in.

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 07:40 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
IMR has come out with a new line of extreme powders. The IMR 4451 is the equivalent of h4350 like IMR4166 is the equivalent of varget. Hopefully this will elp with some supply issues.

On another note, varget was never my favorite powder when I loaded for 22-250.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna be neat to watch this one come together!

Unless it's already too late, I'd sure reconsider the Ackley decision. Don't let it intimidate you as far as your loading skills go. And, I don't think it'll be long before you wish you would have.
Those Stevens 200's have a pretty good reputation for being accurate right out of the box. I sure can't explain it, (technically). My son's first rifle was a Stevens 200 .243 and it blows me away how accurate it is. Not even adding the disclaimer "for a cheap rifle". It's just a darned accurate rifle!

I've had really good luck with both velocity and accuracy with R-15.

Good luck!

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Several interesting decisions.

For a custom build, I would never consider a McGowen barrel. In fact, I haven't heard of them in years? We'll see?

Is the decision to cut the barrel at 21 inches have anything to do with the can on the end? I am admittedly old school, but a performance round like 22-250 deserves a 26 inch barrel. Yes, it will still outperform a 223, but not by much.

For a custom build, as far as I'm concerned, there is only one choice, (in a factory action) a M700. We'll see?

The most questionable decision is to not go with Ackley! What set of factors added up to a custom rifle chambered in plain vanilla 22-250Remington? Just getting into hand loading is not a reason. In fact, using Wilson straight line dies and an arbor press, it doesn't get much easier. Or, simpler.

Sorry, that's all the wet blanket comments I can think of, right now, but good luck, and sorry to sound so negative.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2015 09:01 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that I have an older Savage Short action that is without a barrel now. I keep thinking I am going to do something with it, but never do.

But since 22-250 was brought up, I have a 1-8 twist Criterion barrel for a Rem 700, in 223AI, well was a 223AI, but I just had it rechambered in 22XC. I have a 6XC so I suppose I can use the same S-dies. Kind of curious how it will fling the stash of 75 AMAX's I have.

[ January 10, 2015, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
DanS, your gunsmith is probably funding his vacation home on Maui, with your projects! Wow! I used to say it was Dan, (the man) with more gun money than God, but I might have to reevaluate? Oh well, I'm just jealous.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2015 10:46 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that, I just breezed over the post assuming you were doing Ackley.

Those bright IMR bottles grabbed my attention. Well whatever you want to do buddy. I just wanted to say while, I've never had an Ackley myself.

I wouldn't stress about reloading for one. Just load 22-250 rounds and fire 'em. Even while hunting. The cases will blow out, then tinker with the loads after, your just adding additional powder @ that point.

I'm not tryin' to talk ya out of anything dude. But, if you really wanted an Ackley, there's no reason to be spooked. Plus lots o' guys here to help you out man.

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2015 05:28 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DanS, your gunsmith is probably funding his vacation home on Maui, with your projects!
Yea, I know. He chambered (223Improved), threaded, shortened, crowned and installed a Stainless barrel I already had, put it on a Rem 700. He charged me $130, then punched out another 223 barrel to 22 XC and charged me another $60. It took him almost 4 days to do it too.

I am pretty happy with this gunsmith. He is trying to teach me some bench-rest stuff, but I have resisted. Don't know if I can afford another hobby?

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2015 05:52 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, looks like I might not make LB's Ackley club. (Yet)..

Tough decision.., but I decided that with a silencer of over 7" , a shorter barrel makes sense..

I talked to some serious predator hunters that like using silencers and they shoot even shorter barrels than 20"..

Yeah, it's a compromise for sure.. At first, I thought let's make an Ackley to make up for the barrel length difference...

I have a personal friend that made a 22-250 Ackley to shoot prairie dogs at 500 yards .. That gun is expensive and awesome, but he said that if he did it again, he would probably go REM.. Due to the extra effort of the wildcat dims..

I ran the numbers on energy of a 55 grain at 3800 fps (REM) and 4000 fps (Ackley).. There's only a 10 percent difference in energy.. That's not enough difference to really argue about, right?

For my first build and first reload experience, I played it safe with REM..

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2015 06:14 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be totally shocked if you could get 3800 fps with a standard 22-250 rem. With a 55 grain bullet and a 21" barrel. You'll be lucky to get 3500 fps.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2015 06:32 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2015 06:35 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm averaging 3824 fps with a MOLY'd 55 gr NBT in my 22" 22-250ai with LaPua cases and RL15. Sure I could get a little more but my goal was 3800, it shoots fine and I'm pretty happy with it.

That's roughly the same that my other 22" vanilla 22-250 got with 50's. I think it averaged 3833 fps again with RL15.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2015 06:54 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That's impressive the most I could get out of my standard 22-250 with 50 grain bullets was right at 3800 fps and that was with a 24" barrel.
Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2015 07:18 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Another happy R-15 customer... [Wink]
Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2015 08:36 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am expecting less than 3800 fps due to the shorter barrel.. I get it..

Thanks for the feedback guys..

[ January 11, 2015, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2015 08:40 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
RL-15 is what I've been using in both my .22-250 AI and my .17 Tactical. Very happy with it. Great velocities and accuracy. But then again both of my barrels are 26" too.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2015 10:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Every barrel is different, some, a lot different. Some are ho hum accuracy wise, some just never show the velocity that others get, so it is never guaranteed.

quote:

I have a personal friend that made a 22-250 Ackley to shoot prairie dogs at 500 yards .. That gun is expensive and awesome, but he said that if he did it again, he would probably go REM.. Due to the extra effort of the wildcat dims..

Could you enlighten us a bit on this above statement? There are all kinds of getting around the fire forming if that's the issue? Otherwise, there are no negatives? Maybe I don't have as many as Dave or some others here, but I do own a half a dozen or so and I can say that an Ackley chamber is really a no brainer.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2015 10:31 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey LB, yeah, I did not get into an in depth discussion w/ him. Probaby should have..

He's a big bench rest shooter and I'm finding out that ackley's are not real popular with these folks.. Why, I dont know? If ackley increased accuracy, all of them would own one I bet, buts there's no proof..

I think basically it was his opinion that to get full ackley performance , use a long barrel.. Since Im going short, just go for REM.

In any case, it saves with the hassle of getting custom dies and fire forming to get that extra 10% or so...

Question, do you think resale is more or less for a 22-250 ackley versus 22-250 REM?

--------------------

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2015 11:13 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In any case, it saves with the hassle of getting custom dies and fire forming to get that extra 10% or so...

It really is not a hassle. Midway has dies for 90 bucks. Not much difference in price than regular 22-250. I go to WalMart and buy 55 gr. 22-250 and head out to shoot paper or praire dogs. Fire form and have fun doing it.
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2015 12:13 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok!

Do u get a perfect fireform from one shot??

If this keeps up, im going to want to call my vendor and see if its too late..

Thanks!

[ January 12, 2015, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters