The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Which 1911? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which 1911?
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2014 06:06 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
So while I've tried to like a 1911, I've yet to find one I could bet my life on, at least one I could afford. It's been brought to my attention that I may not have given them a fair chance so I'm game to try another one. I'm not gonna pay Yost, Vickers, or even Wilson money to get one but I want a decent pistol.

So tell me about your favorite 1911.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2014 06:55 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, I have a generic interarms 1911. It rattles like a can of rocks, gets treated like a red haired step child, but always goes bang. Never understood the concept of 'accurizing' a 1911.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2014 09:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my Combat Commander in about 1972. Original satin nickel but when it was stolen, and returned, it was kind of rough so I had it redone in hard chrome.

I'm partial to it, as might be understood? I have a lot of confidence in it.

As I said above, the gun went missing for ten years, taken from a Mexican just this side of the border. I'd sure like to know the history of those missing ten years.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31267 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2014 05:47 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Colt SS XSE LWT Commander in 45 ACP. It's short and light enough for concealed carry and it's accurate. No FTF/FTE since new. It's too nice for woods carry though.

I picked up a 5" Para SS Expert in 45 ACP last year for woods carry. It is converted to 45 Super for more power if needed against 4 legged, or 2 legged, varmints in the woods. They aren't overly expensive and, more importantly, they are made in the USA.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 390 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2014 06:04 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Know little about this but...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/15/colts-wiley-clapp-lw-commander/

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2014 04:29 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this what I've been saying all along?

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6631#comments

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2014 09:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze! That bad, eh? I didn't know?

The high prices should come down a lot, maybe I should get rid of mine before it does?

Thanks for the heads up. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2014 01:12 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a two-tone Colt Commander, stainless steel frame and blue slide.

I really like it. It is very accurate and I have never had a failure to feed, even with my reloads.

I do carry it coyote hunting with the Ciener .22 conversion kit.

It is fun to shoot in .45, but really fun with the .22 slide on it.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2014 03:09 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a shop yesterday with a large selection of $1500 Kimbers. I just need to borrow some money so I can pick one up, anyone???
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2014 02:18 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Might have found a Colt Combat Commander in SS to trade for, gonna go look at it Wednesday.

But I still ain't sold on the idea.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2014 02:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya, when it's a hundred year old design, how could you possibly be sold on it?

But, it's like other stuff that works and has a long history of reliable service. I'm very unimpressed by 30'06 Springfield but love the hell out of 270W. I don't care for Colt SA stuff where the design hails from the 1870's, but as a nostalgia piece, it has a lot of intrinsic value. Look at the prices they get for Luger's!

What, (exactly) is the big deal about "striker fired" pistols? To me, not withstanding all the technology involved, the workings of this M&P Shield reminds me of an Underwood typewriter. It's probably a matter of getting used to it?

But, in reading an article in G&A this month, there is still a market for something like a lite 5 shot Taurus 38 with a 1" barrel and Lexan side plate. I hate to think how old that basic design is?

Look at the nostalgia involved in those TV commercials for Henry Rifles. First, of course, you have to dress up with a red bandanna and a buckskin jacket, w/fringe. Apparently, there is a lot of interest in cowboy stuff I went to my club on a Sunday a while ago, which I hardly ever do, and you wouldn't believe the people dressed up for a cattle drive and competing in some type of shooting contests. My lack of interest did not allow me to discover what, (exactly) they were up to?

Anyway, in a pinch, a 1911 will still settle most social disputes for another 100 years or so....my guess?

So, tell me about the big deal with "striker fired" pistols, why they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and poontang.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2014 09:16 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Well first off, weight or lack there of. Polymer pistols are lighter than SS or even alloy frames. They don't rust. They soak up recoil better than either too.

Striker fired pistols have a trigger that requires no external safety or a backup safety either. The triggers are safer than a 3 lb single action trigger when your heart rate is up and adrenalin is taking over yet just as easy to shoot.

I'll quit there for now before I talk myself out of even going to look at the antique. [Wink]

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2014 03:04 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Leonard, I'm gonna give it another shot.
 -
New grips

[ June 19, 2014, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2014 05:56 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
My little Kel-Tec 9mm is light, but it's not a full size handgun. It does weigh less than a Ruger Super Redhawk though, but it's not a fair comparison.

If you compare comparable guns, there's little difference in weight. My Colt XSE LWT Commander weighs in at about 27 ounces empty. The glock 20 that I replaced weighed in at 27 ounces. IMHO, there's no comparison between the two either. The Colt is, by far, the superior handgun. I could never warm up to the glock "dart gun" trigger either. It just plain sucks.

-

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 390 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2014 06:59 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I purchase a colt gold cup 70 series in the early 70s. Still one of the best shooting guns I own. The only mod I've done to it is a recoil buffer and a heavier trigger. The original gold cup trigger would sometimes double on me. I had it increased to 4lb but it is still very crisp trigger.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1920 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2014 10:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Show and tell. There may be others, but this one is mine, purchased in 1971.

-

edit: I think I paid $109?

[ June 19, 2014, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2014 01:17 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to show you I'm trying real hard to like the 1911, I'll give you $218 for it.

[Smile]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me think about it.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2014 02:04 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I shot the antiquated noise maker today. Set up a silhouette target at 25 yards and the first thing I found was the mag catch needs work, I have to push the release to insert a mag. Second thing I found was it hits point of aim and made me look good. Fist sized full mag groups. I found the Eagle mag wouldn't work, big surprise. The MecGar mag worked only part time but the cheap looking extended 10 rd mag, which I later learned is a Chip McCormick, works fine. I have 4 new Colt mags that I didn't bring with me but will next time.

All in all, I like the dang thing, it's real easy to shoot and just needs a little tuning, oh Mikey...

I may acquire a few more of these old things.

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2014 02:40 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You added new grips, maybe one of the grip screws is a hair long, or the grips mite be a little long? Regardless it a minor issue but I have always be told to number the magazines in a 1911, some are better than others.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2014 08:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the same.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2014 04:50 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Grip screws were clear, took a little off the mag catch and all is well.
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2014 09:23 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I was re-visiting this thread, noticed Tom changed out the plastic trigger on his Commander. And LB who did the work on your pistol(squared trigger guard & Millet(?) sights. In my opinion the Colt Commander is my favorite style 1911.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2014 03:53 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't tell anyone but I picked up another one.
 -

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2014 06:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that whole dress up was kind of a congratulatory present to myself when I got the gun back after ten years stolen.

It started out satin nickel. I had it hard chromed and a few other doodads by Mathews and Sons in Paramount, CA.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters