The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » offbeat sounds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: offbeat sounds
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 10:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw something yesterday involving a squirrel crossing the street back and forth to a neighbors house while I was watering.

What happened isn't important but I thought this bears mentioning. Oftentimes, there is a huge strategy with a certain callmaker to use a bluebird or incidental sounds like confidence, much like a duck hunter will have a spread of decoys including a Blue Heron, for instance.

But that's not what reminded me yesterday.

What I'm talking about is getting spooky animals to commit. They may be hidden and they may be educated, but they don't really know why the rabbit is being skinned alive, however it's still a sound that grabs their attention.

So what do I do when I know I have an animal that won't respond, but maybe he has decided to wait until either I break off or he doesn't feel threatened anymore.

What I do is make action sounds much like a deer hunter plays with antlers. If you can do it discreetly, whipping a branch or breaking a few twigs will get the animal to move to a better location because he has just changed his whole concept. If you can scuff gravel, make digging sound with your heels or even click a couple rocks together, these are perfectly natural sound that coyotes and bobcats hear almost every day and it's a suspicion moderator when most of your coyotes have heard 101C, not to mention Lone Howl, all season long.

If you haven't tried it, you might be surprised at the positive reaction you get, which is a lot better than packing it in and moving on, seeking dumber animals, and good luck with that, this time of year.

If you can't afford the movement, go ahead and record a few of these sounds. I believe it's not something the other guy is doing and it can't hurt.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 11:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze!

An hour after I posted this above, I get email from "He who shall not be named" and first he says that he doesn't need these things, and immediately starts listing the exact same things I suggest!
WTF?

Well, okay. Wildlife Technologies wants you to use hoot owl sounds instead.

Then he says that he lays prone and digs with his feet to get a coyote to step out for a shot....but he don't need any of this stuff. Okay again. Carry on!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 12:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Off beat sounds ???
If you're in a lonely desert and happen to hear 'Song of the Blue Whale' coming from a bush, c'mon over and say Hi.

[Smile]

Remember, you heard it here first.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 01:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that one, but I have used African animal sounds for years. Distress sounds do not need to be authentic. Distress is distress.

But in this case I'm talking about sounds that occur in the real world that aren't distress, just sounds.

I have called in a coyote using a highlift jack, turned around and Mr Coyote is standing there supervising. edit: actually, he was sitting. As long as the focus wasn't on him, he didn't feel threatened.

A conversation over a map spread on the hood of the vehicle lured three coyotes up to the berm of an earth tank. We casually got rifles and casually shot all three at the count of three. No bullshit.

Odd sounds can cause them to step out for a better look.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 19, 2018, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 03:17 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
You should listen to your pen pal, he can teach you a lot.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 04:43 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Try this sequence, late season:

1. "Bridgestones on ice"

Followed by:

2. "12V Window motor"

Then, play:

3. "Gunstock rubs on side view mirror"

Then, shoot past them on purpose, to get 'em running back toward the road.

I hear tell, this is "KILLER" in Minnesota...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 20, 2018 07:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing I should have pointed out, some of these sounds are particularly effective at night. Thrashing a branch against another will REALLY light up a cagy bobcat. Making popping noises with your mouth or blowing your lips, dumb shit like that. Gotta use your imagination on what is a weird sound, as opposed to natural sounds like scraping. Figure it out, people!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters