The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Enclosed Reeds...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Enclosed Reeds...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2017 03:56 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple turned up.
Mark

[IMG]  - 006 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]  - 008 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]  - 003 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]  - 002 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2017 03:23 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like your style, Mark!

Spalted maple & walnut?

Does the 1st one have a home, yet?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2017 07:17 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Fred, appreciate it!..top one is Birdseye maple and bottom one is Arizona mesquite...both calls are goners already.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But, that was a good guess, Fred.

As far as I'm concerned, they could make all predator calls out of mesquite, it's appropriate. That's what they used to make the stocks out of for the Weatherby mark V.

But, you know, it's all trendy and fibreglass is in. Maybe fine shotguns is the last holdout for figured wood? I mean, just imagine a London Grade Double in 416 Rigby sporting a McMillian realtree camo job. Calls for Capital Punishment, donut? I'd spring the trapdoor.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if they still use it or not, but years ago Bear Archery had a process where they took a piece of really nice wood, put it in a vacuum chamber and then introduced resin into the wood.
They used it to make bow risers and it was my understanding that the stuff was damn near bullet-proof.
Seems like the same thing could be done for rifle / shotgun stocks ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2017 07:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know something of that process. Originally developed for lightweight aluminum castings for use in transmissions for the US Navy. Involved injecting resin under high pressure which sealed all the microscopic pits always found in aluminum casting to make them waterproof and able to withstand pressure.

Later we used the same technology to weatherproof the insulator supports for the Alaskan pipeline to suspend it above the tundra. It solved the heat generation that melted the frozen ground and would cause ruptures in sagging pipeline.

Ancient technology.

Good hunting. El Bee

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, lots of call makers use what is called resin stabilized wood. You do basicly what Koko said and you end up with a very strong, heavy product. You can send your own wood in to companies, or even do it at home now. The hot deal is to inject all kinds of colors into the resin/wood and you get some pretty cool stuff as a result.
Mark

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2017 03:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So...............Why isn't anybody making some really cool laminated stocks with this stuff ??
There's a couple of traditional bow makers putting out some laminated bow risers that are works of art in & of themselves.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2017 04:20 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just not the "thing" right now I guess? Not really sure. High end synthetics and chassis systems are the trend obviously.

Mark

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters