The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Couple distress calls...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Couple distress calls...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2016 03:46 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackwood trumpet style.
[IMG]  - 010 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]  - 009 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]  - 011 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]
Birdseye maple nipple style.

[IMG]  - 012 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]  - 014 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[ May 22, 2016, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2016 06:12 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice!

How long have you been making calls LH? It seems as long as I've seen you around the boards you've been making calls. You do some nice work for sure.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2016 08:00 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lonny, oh been tinkering with them roughly since 1999 or so I guess?
Mark

--------------------

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2016 09:30 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Woooeee Mark, Das guud loooking!! What kind of wood is that? Is it black wood or stain?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2016 09:33 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
African blackwood Loc.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 06:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that blackwood prone to shatter from being brittle? Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

Do you ever use Ironwood? I asked Krusty one time if he wanted a piece of Ironwood and he said very negative things about it, including how it smelled? Personally, I have not seen anything I would call negative about Ironwood. It's not what you would expect, it's light in color.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS those are some very nice looking calls!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 06:48 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Some exotic woods are real hard and a bit more brittle, for a lack of a better term, than some domestics. I love ironwood, its prone to cracking it seems to me, more than a lot of woods, but its always pretty..and pricy.
Mark

--------------------

Yotehntr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 01:19 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking calls Mark! The blackwood is exceptional!

I'm a desert ironwood fan too, FWIW I've never had trouble with any wood shattering.

--------------------
Yotehntr Calls Put something pretty on your lips! ;)

Posts: 53 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 08:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can recommend Ironwood for one application. I have a Moluccan (Salmon crested) Cockatoo and he chews everything he can reach. I made a perch out of Ironwood and he just gave up on it. Kinda literally treats it like it's a steel pipe, in other words, not worth his time to even try it. Not that he can't deform a lot of metal, because he can and does. But he doesn't nibble on Ironwood.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 11:41 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify:

When I declined the offer of the ironwood (*believing it to be American hornbeam) it wasn't because of anything "negative" about the wood itself, as it relates to being calls, but to the making of said calls as that relates to my chosen methods of manufacture.

Much like Leonard's cockatoo, "it's not worth my time" to be nibbling at a piece of ironwood, not even with a dremel tool (*while my tools smoke, a nasty vile smoke that makes working with antlers seem no worse than a smelly sock). [Big Grin]

To post:

Part of the issue we're up against here is "what is ironwood?"
Wikipedia lists no less than 32 different species, commonly known as "ironwood" throughout the world, with around a half dozen of those being common to the Americas...
Likewise, "what is blackwood?" [Wink]

The differences in Mark and Brad's opinions, to me, speaks again to methods of manufacture as much as to material science.
*Though I am HUGELY surprised to hear Brad say he doesn't have/hasn't had problems with calls failing,shattering,blow-ups etc, given that the bodies often look very thin (*never seen one in person)... but I digress.

Lonny,

As long as I've known Mark he's made these amazing calls, works of art, seriously.
A dozen or so years ago I got a call from him, a beautiful little maple call (and one of only 3 calls I ever had that I considered "too collectible to hunt with") that was made in two pieces, jointed so finely that even after he told me it took me a while to see the seam.

Mark,

Someday we need to replace this? [Wink]

-

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 12:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose I knew that a common name like "Blackwood" or "Ironwood" might mean different trees to different people.

What I call Ironwood grows in the Southern California and Southern Arizona desert. It seems to colonize in particular areas like Cholla, and Mesquite, or Creosote. When you see it, you see a lot of it. It is an Acacia, like Mesquite, lots of thorns. But the bark is sort of white, as opposed to Mesquite which is a lot darker brown or black, so you can recognize it from a long ways away. I could be wrong on this, just a casual observation, but the two species don't grow together. You will see mile upon mile of Mesquite followed by mile after mile of Ironwood. I see no reason for it, it's not elevation, not different type of desert sandy soil? Probably an obvious reason, but I don't know it?

Anyway, when I speak of "Ironwood", that is the only one of the 32 different species that I know. And, I would think it would make a handsome call, and quite durable.

Interesting, flushing Krusty out of the weeds!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Yotehntr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 01:18 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
You got me there Krusty, I was thinking in terms of a call that was completed and cracking on the individual that owned it. I have had a few brake while turning them, then usually burls, at the opening where the toneboard goes in. I use a pin mandrel and it wedges inside the 1/2" hole if the wood/burl isn't solid I have had them crack. (so I stand corrected) Didn't mean to mislead there.

--------------------
Yotehntr Calls Put something pretty on your lips! ;)

Posts: 53 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2016 01:27 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
LH, that blackwood is stunning!
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters