The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Whats your favorite howler?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats your favorite howler?
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2015 03:14 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
For you handcallers that still use mylar howlers..which one do you use the most?

Critter Call Magnums have always been my favorite production call, followed by a Dan Thompsen. I have a bunch of different ones, but mostly I carry a DT clone (but smaller and much different) I made a few years ago. Tried to spiffy it up a bit recently, and got me to thinking about this topic.
What do you use?
Mark

[IMG]  - 014 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]  - 015 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

[ November 07, 2015, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2015 03:30 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Started off almost 30 years ago using a Sceery howler. Used that for many many years. Then went to the Wiley one howler that Jerry Hunsley used to make and went back and forth with that and my Higgins Howler for a few years. Seems like the last few years I only take my Dan Thompson windriver howler it makes great howls and I just take the mouth piece out and use it to make my distress sounds.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2015 04:28 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I still use an old Herbs Howler I got back in the early 70's. Sometimes my own and then a Cronk howler. Like the old Herbs the best though.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2015 05:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have an original Herb's Howler, at least since the 70's? I have a really nice Higgins' Howler that I like a lot, but I find it difficult to find the right latex gloves for it.

Those two are the one's I use. I have a Johnny Stewart that Gerald gave me years ago, which I like because it's so easy to use, but way too bulky to pack.

Other than that, I have a few diaphragms that produce a decent pup howl, if that's all I happen to have on me.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2015 06:09 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have went to a Zepps Kill Pole Howler. Has worked consistantly for me.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2015 06:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Zepp makes some really nice calls. A few years ago, he sent me a half a dozen and almost as many CD's. Unsolicited, I might add.

But, every one was different and well made. Very interesting the way he designs calls, it's like an instant attraction, you want to pick it up and use it.

And, he's almost as big as John Henry, so not worth arguing with. No, he's good natured, unlike ....

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2015 06:28 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My first one was a Herb's too. Still have it, somewhere, haven't seen it for a long time though, now that I think about it.

I haven't used a howler on stand for a long time, I just let the FoxPro do the howling anymore.

But for just driving around locating, sometimes I do use a howler and it's always either my Higgins or my Cronk. They sound very different, so sometimes I use them both.

Leonard, I've never used gloves on my Higgins. Just buy the ELK bands that are made for it. I prefer the sound of the white ones.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2015 06:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Learn something new every day! I didn't know there was a source for bands, other than making them myself? Thank you!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2015 06:38 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I should have mentioned here, I think Mark will appreciate.

He probably doesn't remember it, but I got a couple small open reeds from him a long time ago. At least ten years ago? Probably longer than that.

Anyway... Me and Tim carried them forever. Mine eventually came up missing. But Tim still has his, still on the original reed, hangs it from his rear view 24/7/365.

Keep in mind, that little open reed is not a howler. But of course, you "can" howl on any open reed. But that reed is old as dirt, UV'd all to hell, etc.

Okay, lot of setup for this...

Tim howls with that little old open reed call. On EVERY stand! Hardly ever gets a full howl out of it without breaking off. The howls he does make don't sound much like a coyote to me. Really, just sounds awful, worst attempts at howls I've ever heard. When he does it, I just sit there and CRINGE.

I've always done all the calling, always. And I'm sure you can all relate, when you are doing the calling, unsolicited "help" is not always appreciated. But, especially when I play a howl on the FoxPro and Tim joins in, it makes my teeth hurt. If I wanted to sound like two coyotes, I'd have played a sound with two coyotes. If I wanted to sound like one coyote and one "something" that isn't a coyote but isn't anything else either, then I guess I'd welcome the help [Big Grin] .

But my real point, is that I don't think you can do much harm with non-aggressive howling. We kill our fair share, with that "isn't a howl" being injected into our stands at the most inopportune times on a routine basis.

- DAA

[ November 08, 2015, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2015 09:58 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
lol I remember those Dave. I actually cringe when I think of someone using them, they are pretty crude, but its neat there is still one being used.
Poor Tim!
Mark

Edit to say, that I do see a lot of people trying to howl on tiny (open reed) calls, some of my buds do it all the time,..hate it..but some guys insist on doing it? Not saying it dont work (cause it does) but it seems like they would get a bigger call?
I dont think some guys understand the difference between an open reed distress call and a (open reed) howler? Lot of big open reed distress calls out there that can sort of double as a light howler, but I just feel you should find yourself a full on howler of some kind.

Double Edit..I know a guy that howls on an enclosed reed call..and howls em right on in...he does it year round too.

[ November 08, 2015, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2015 06:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All I read from that post is that DAA is a control freak!

The idea that a partner can't contribute to the calling on stand is foreign to me. I seem to remember Lance grousing something similar, once upon a time, I think? If not, I apologize. (edit) might have been Michael McCassland?

I think what is called for is a very frank discussion with a partner. "When I call, you better not utter a peep or you are walking back home!"

That should take care of it.

That's another thing. These guys that create a scenario in their head and honk on a call, or play with the various sounds in "a realistic" manor. It's as if a coyote can analyze all these nuances and come in a bit faster or a bit closer. HA!

Some of the worse calling I ever heard can call in a coyote. And, having participated in and judged a couple calling contests, I found out; some people have absolutely no idea of how to blow a rabbit call! In other words, it's all freestyle. One of my best sounds is a friggin' African animal that a coyote has never heard, but it triggers an eager response, I promise.

Dave, old buddy. No offense. Just had to speak my piece. Which I do frequently; I know, I know. Just tolerate an old man and his weird ideas, please.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 09, 2015, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2015 06:51 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, this is news? Everyone knows I'm a control freak [Big Grin] .

It is what it is.

- DAA

--------------------

Mert Bargenquast
Member # 772

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Mert Bargenquast           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember Rich Cronk? That's what I use. I have numerous ones of his. May he rest in peace!

--------------------
Mert Bargenquast

Posts: 40 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2015 04:26 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A Carver cocobolo howler is the easiest to use & best sounding one I have. I carry a smaller version of it, on stand:
 -

I also have a gorgeous howler made from African snakewood by 'Ninthinning' from pm board. The sound is quite unique & realistic, but its just waaay to purdy to jangle around in the field!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2015 05:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Omaha for the funeral of an old Army buddy and met up with Rich Cronk for lunch, might have been four, maybe five years ago? It was a worthwhile afternoon, I liked him. R.I.P.

Fred, you hang out on PMS? Dang, I have not clicked on that board in several years. Does anybody know what they are doing over there? I thought it was a lost cause ten years ago? That board always reminded me of the expression; "a mile wide and an inch deep."

That's a pretty fancy howler. Kinda makes my Herb's Howler look like shit, donut? lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2015 06:17 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I've been banned for years.
The howlers I mentioned are 7-10yrs old...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2015 08:50 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
The price of snakewood is thru the roof! I dont even think I could work with it...to scared to screw it up!
Mark

--------------------

Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
I use E.LK. and a call that Mr. Cronk made for me which is an elongated Killer Call with an air hole added for higher and lower pitches (Not a Taylor Special). I also have a Kill Pole Howler, a couple Rare Earth howlers and some Dan Thompson howlers. Most of the time I use the Cronk.
Edit: also have a Sceery dual chamber that I'll use once in a while.

[ November 21, 2015, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2015 05:21 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I use an ELK Power howler, a Critr call howler and I'm gonna try a Sly/Pup howler this year that I made a reed for.

I've got a couple of horn howlers but they see little use. One is from Cronk and I doubt if I ever get it down off the shelf but I might just for him. I really liked him.

I too hate it when someone else starts calling but I doubt it hurts. My cousin keeps trying to add in another e-caller, same sound playing but callers set apart. Drives me nuts and it's never worked for us.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters