The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » an open reed problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: an open reed problem
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 9 posted November 06, 2014 08:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a call I really like that has suddenly developed a problem.

The reed clamps down on the tone board and refuses to vibrate. This happens occasionally, and the remedy is rather simple but I have not attempted anything with this one because I don't want to cause any permanent damage.

What's a low impact solution?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
3 simple things to try...
1)Make sure reed is covering air channel completly.
2)Flip the reed over and see what it does.

Or
3)Slip your finger under the reed and run it along the toneboard towards the reed block or cork notch, whichever you have. Not all the way, just enough to bend the reed upwards a tiny bit. After that, it should do better. It just gets it off the toneboard a bit, sort of letting it arch over itself and smoothing things out.

If its a Tally Ho type call, definetly flipping reed may help, or reed replacement may be the solution?

[ November 06, 2014, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The first suggestion seems to produce results. I mean, it was "maybe" a couple thousandths but I pulled on it and it started working.

Flipping the reed over? First, the reed is notched and tied with dental floss. (no not a tally ho) Second, changing the reed would change everything in a killer cat call; no thank you.

I'm good, thanks! LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal : )

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2014 08:55 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Scuffing the toneboard lightly with an emory board.
Like Lone Howl says, the reed should cover the channel at the end just slightly. Right on is preferable, too much is okay, too little will definitely cause issues.
Quit slobbering all over the reed...
I've messed with hundreds of calls and the change in sound by using any of these methods is infinitesimal on open reeds. JC style reeds are much more finicky.

[ November 12, 2014, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters