The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Work Boots (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Work Boots
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 5 posted October 21, 2014 04:27 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm 50 now and I think the years are starting to take their toll. Lower back pain sometimes, when it's bad. It's bad. Starting to get sore in the back of my ankles and such now.

Currently cruising in a set of Justin Ropers. Thinking, It might be time to step up to something better.

Anyway anybody use White's ? Thinking well, USA made. Spokane Washington. I've heard that higher heel they use helps ?

Oh yeah usually spend @ least half the day on concrete.

[ October 21, 2014, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 04:42 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about the White brand, but if you're spending time on concrete or other hard surfaces, the Georgia Wellington "Wedge" model is one of the best I've worn.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 04:52 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a lower heel was better for you

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 05:21 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I don't know ?

A guy I work with, went to a foot doctor and he said the higher arch the White boot provides is better for your back and feet ? that's what, I think he told me anyway.

The guy, I'm talking about wound up having something built, can't remember right now what they're called, but, anyway you can transfer them from shoe to shoe. I think they cost about $300 bucks.

I'll look into you're suggestion K-bloomR

[ October 21, 2014, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 05:43 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW..

On a side note: I've been wearing wool mix socks for 12-13 years now. Kinda expensive, compared to white cotton socks, but can't say enough good things about them.

My feet sweat less even when it's hot ! hard to believe, I know. Trust me..

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 06:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working, I wore orthotics in my boots. Haven't worn them since, but I'm not on my feet all day. They are professionally fitted by a Podiatrist. Mine were covered, at the time they were $500, but I have been retired for ten years.

They definitely help. At least for me, with fallen arches, there is actual foot soreness and the whole leg, (both) just aches after all day. What they do is correct your posture, get you supported properly.

As far as White Boots, some people swear by them, but I have never worn a pair? I do wear Orvis, and their Gokkie brand, (I'm not spelling it right?) can be custom made to a tracing of your foot, just like the White brand. I also wear Danner's and have had mine for (guessing) about fifteen years, one resole.

Anyway, good boots aren't cheap. For real support, I wouldn't wear anything but a lace up; Wellingtons don't suit me, at all.

That's another thing, socks! Damn! It's nothing to pay thirty dollars for top quality socks and a wool "blend", for durability, is a sound choice. Okay, maybe you can get serviceable socks for $20? Lots of variations out there for hiking and other specialized applications.

Seems everything is expensive, these days? I did gas in Kingman for $2.87 a gallon, but around here, it's more like $3.49. They always gouge The People's Republik. Ammo? Same thing.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good post Leonard.

What you described is what my buddy @ work, basically said.

It's weird. I've bought, good boots over the years, for hunting ect, and got years out of them. Like a cheap-dumbass never really invested in work boots.

I still have a pair of Filson's. I bought in the 90's. The side of one is finally getting torn out from too many scrapes with rocks. Bought a pair of leather Danners 4-5 years ago for hunting, and wear for work in the winter. Can't complain @ all about them.

Filson wool socks, were the bomb !! Maybe still are ? Our local dealer went down a few years ago.

Might have to order some on-line. Rockys are Ok, but..Not the same, though.

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 07:17 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, gas ?

Were like $3.40 ish' a gallon also. My realitives in Oryegun are talking like $3.00 ish' a gallon over there.

Is it me ? Or whats with Kalifornia and Idaho ?

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2014 08:33 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I have worked on concrete for 25 plus years and many of those days were 10 or more hours long. For the first 20 years I could have gotten by wearing moccasins because my feet, back, and legs felt great and I didn't know what back or foot pain even was.

About 10 years ago, my back started bugging me and I thought it was due to a lifting something wrong which likely started the discomfort. What got me the worst though was after my back started acting up I came down with a bad case of plantar fasciitis(sp?) I was damn near ready to do something drastic due to the foot pain.

Anyway, I happened to talk with a buddy who had went through almost the same thing and had tried a pair of Nicks Boots which are virtually the same as Whites. He said within a few weeks his foot pain went away.

I went ahead and got sized for a pair, but in the meantime went to a foot doctor who sized me up for a set of custom orthotics. The Dr. also sent me to physical therapy to get a handle on the plantar fasciitis. It took a couple months for my feet to get better, but what I noticed is that after starting to wear the orthotics, within a couple weeks my back pain went away and has been gone for 10 plus years.

While I think good boots that support my feet on concrete are very important, the custom orthotics helped me even more.

The custom orthos were in the $400 range and my insurance didn't cover them, but I would pay 100 times that amount if it meant avoiding the foot pain I had without them.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 04:22 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Work detail aside, I can echo what Lonny said.

Blew my back out a few years ago & developed plantar faciitis as well. Got cortisone shots @ podiatrist to get thru an elk hunt, but it came back within a few months. Wound up doing my homework & buying a Strassburg sock online. Wore it every night to bed, and stretched like he!! every morning. After a few months, the PF just kinda faded away...

Anyhoo, as for work boots, I picked up a nice pair of Keen Pittsburghs on closeout. They've been a good boot for what I paid, and they have a steel toe.
Also, have been wearing a partially wrecked pair of Salomon 4D GTX boots @ work. I have a high arch, and the Salomons are the only boot I've worn that are more comfortable and forgiving than the Keens. They are more of a lightweight hiking boot, but do well here @ the shop. And with a good pair of socks, they are like Heaven in the colder months

Speaking of which, bite the bullet and get you some DARN TOUGH socks! They are a merino/synthetic blend sock and are OUTSTANDING!

Life is too short for factory rifles, shitty scopes, cheap cigars, and crappy footwear!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted October 22, 2014 07:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
...and Liberal women. Like Rachel Maddow. Fuck 'em!

edit: high arch? What's that? How about NO arch? You think you have problems?

[ October 22, 2014, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 09:42 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Guess what ? Yeah, I'm home today. Back is friggin' killing me. It's weird kinda like Lonny mentioned it's kinda getting down to my feet somedays.

A few weeks ago. I couldn't plant down on my left foot, hobbled around a few days and it went away.

I think it's time to go see a doctor this winter, when things slow down. Man, I hate going to the doctor !!

(edit) Maddows a bitch !!

[ October 22, 2014, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 22, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful. Sometimes, what you might think is foot problems can be a very painful condition known as GOUT. Ask me how I know. I always thought of gout as a joke or at least, not serious but if you come down with it, you will change your mind in a hurry. Just sayin'

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 04:09 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I hear ya on hating to go see a Dr. In my case it took me a year to go see a doc and things only got worse. I should have went way sooner like my wife told me to do. When I did finally go see a doc it led to seeing several docs before getting things figured out.

Leonard I also have very little arch and I think that over time and working on concrete this allowed my feet to flatten even more, which required me to go up in shoe size over the years. My dad wore orthotics when he was about my age, but he called them "devices." They fixed his back troubles too.

You would think at some point I would have connected the dots between a possible hereditary thing and flat feet, but oh no, I bumbled along thinking things would just get better on their own. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy.

I read something once that humans were more designed to chase animals over hill and dale and we only started standing on hard surfaces for hours on end over the last 150 years or so.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 04:31 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I went ahead and got sized for a pair of custom orthotics also. I have plantar fasciitis too.
While I think good boots that support my feet on concrete are very important, the custom orthotics helped me even more.

My custom orthos were expensive too, some of the best money I spent. Luckily my insurance covered part of it. Going to the Podiatrist tomorrow, I want a new pair, well a second to put in my hunting boots.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2014 05:20 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
$0.02...Justin Work Boots. Concrete, dirt, other uneven surfaces, up and down a ladder, etc. Doubt that I'll ever own a different brand of work boots.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 22, 2014 06:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think that's what Vic wears? Come to think of it, that's ALL he wears, except for those flashy Mexican Wrestler Sneakers, of course.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 04:43 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Merril sneakers, old running shoes and Ariat lace up chucka are about all I wear anymore. I work on concrete and have for 30+ years. Work boots just don't work for me anymore.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 05:05 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm running into this late, pun intended.... been busy.

Red Wings, Superfeet (Black) insoles and Thorlo socks.

Red Wings can be semi-custom ordered, made to fit your foot shape. I agree that "wedge" soles are the best, when working on concrete floors.

I started using the Superfeet insoles when I was climbing big walls, like in Yosemite, long days standing in the rope ladders used in that type of climbing are murder on your arches. I continued to use them for work, and to this day if I don't love a pair of shoes they get Superfeet (green) insoles.
*Green ones are pretty standard with a stiff "cup" that holds your heel and supports the arch. Black ones are a step up from those, with a stiffer cup and more padded liner.
While these aren't custom made orthotics, they can be had for somewhere around $50.00.

Socks... I stopped wearing cotton tube socks just after high-school, and never looked back.
I've worn every premium brand you can find.
Smartwool - too expensive, but they do last well.
Fox River - good stuff, can be found for better prices than the Smartwool, but, don't seem to last long enough (for me).
Thorlo - pricey, but they come in a myriad of blends, weights, and lengths. They last longer than any other premium brand I've tried (I got 14 years out of my first 4 pairs of Thorlos, hiking and working hard).

Costco - sells a Thorlo/Smartwool knock-off, for a great price, I'm wearing a pair as we speak. They tend to shrink so buy over-sized. I've only been buying them for a couple years so I can't speak to how long they last, yet.
Red Wing - has a white work sock very similar to the Thorlo running sock, a Cool-Max type of blend, that come out of the box very well (*but they lose their "loft" fairly quickly) and at around $15 a pair can be a good value and can be replaced more often because of this value pricing.

I know somebody will likely call me a "dirty hippie" now, but I'm gonna say this anyways.

Birkenstocks.

Yep, I said it! Get a pair for off days, they can and will do wonders for the fitness of your feet, especially if you're experiencing foot/back pain.

The lil woman is a nurse and spends tons of time on her feet on hard floors. I recently found her a pair of the white nurses Birks sierratradingpost... she put them on and said "oh my god! these are like a little leather hug for my feet!"
The raised portions of the insole are designed to spread the load out over your whole foot and to strengthen the arch and toes.
She's since bought two more pairs of Birks for daily use (*she thought they were just for hippies, too). [Wink]

Krusty

P.S. Red Wing makes an insole, similar to the Superfeet, but they are a pale comparison.

[ October 23, 2014, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 08:29 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty..........A Dirty Hippie ?????

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Not so..........he was recently bathed when I met him.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 10:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty voiced an opinion on boots that exactly agreed with an email from one who shall not be named; same sole, same brand.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and by the way, I had a brochure from White Boots a while ago and they have two different brands, one more suitable for lumberjacks and such. All of them are what I would consider on the high end, price wise. LB

[ October 23, 2014, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 05:22 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with ya Jim, when my back or feet don't hurt. I love my Justin's almost like wearing tennis shoes !!

Krusty, I'll check out the Superfeet insoles, for $50 bucks, what the hell ?

Birkenstocks ? Dude-Really ?.... [Big Grin]

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 06:27 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Gawd! I hate it when that happens. [Smile]

Dave,

Under $50 if you shop well. [Wink]

Dude, yup, Birkenstocks.

They make a chukka/desert boot, the Dundee, that isn't bad looking.... and the low-top Maine is another acceptable style... these do have shoelaces.

Don't knock 'em 'til ya try 'em. [Cool]

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 07:40 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a boot for everyone, and everyone has a favorite, mine is the Justin work boot. I have worn them for work, climbing poles or long periods of ladder work, standing on concrete terminating protectors or splicing cable, hours on horseback, and countless hours stomping thru the desert coyote hunting. The absolute best boot Ive ever had on my feet.
Leonard is right, it's all I wear....but I always have two pair going, one for my "town boots", the other for work and hunting.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 05:00 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all over the map on boots. Not for work though, so doesn't really apply here. I do, or at least up until about a month ago, used to, walk 1500 to 2000 miles a year - for pleasure. Still searching for my perfect foot wear.

But on the socks and the Superfeet I am in agreement. The orange Superfeet are in the two pair of boots I wear the most right now.

Socks... I mostly wear a Thorlo that is a blend, for light duty stuff like coyote hunting or light hiking. Really long miles, backpacking, steep stuff, whatever, I wear either Vermont Darn Tough or SmartWool PhD. Both are stupid expensive, but last an amazingly long time, given the abuse I put them through. And keep my feet happy when I've been away from a fresh pair for a couple days and many miles and am still a couple more days and many miles from a fresh pair.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters