The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  14  15  16 

Author Topic: FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2012 06:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
30˚ is shirtsleeve weather for a Minneesotan. But, not this one! I am NOT into cold weather, hate it!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31492 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2012 06:37 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All coyotes howl and bark at a certain volume they don't change volume with their sounds
I did'nt say they did..
louder volume just makes the sound source seem closer to them than what it is and thus involking a response.. They can tell with-in 15 ft. of where the sounds is comeing from, but there depth perception is lacking.. So they just keep comeing untill they reach the caller or hit a terr. line, some cross it some don't...

quote:
Keep the deep stuff and agressive stuff for the times of the year it works best, that isn;'t durring normal fur calling times for the majority
I agree and I don't get that aggressive unless its needed with some coyotes, but will use it at all times of the year depending on the coyote I'm calling to at the time..
The area i call in gets hit pretty hard, not much cream off the top left around for me when I get there so like I said before I call to whats there.. Like I said before I have a sequence of sounds I go through to call what coyotes are there in, most stands I can get by with just mouse or a little rabbit. ( first on the list)

Yep its just cattle country but it gets hunted alot, as for high numbers not sure on as I don't know what other areas you are compareing mine to.. The numbers are higher there than compared to here but then again are less compared to East river

quote:
Your calling in areas that get less pressure and calling at times of the year where the population is at it's highest points and calling areas where frankly many ranchers have less troubles with coyotes so they don't percive them as the threat that sheep ranches do, that is a fact.
How do you know? I don't always get out there when the population is at its peak. Most times I just get stuck with the left overs.
Yep the coyotes there are'nt much trouble at all. For the life of me I can't figure out why you guys still have jobs..
There was one ranch that lost 15-30 head of calves a few years back and this was one of the ranches that has limited hunting on it...
The other ranches that do see alot of coyote hunters don't have much if any problems, I must be doing a good job .. [Smile]

quote:
Your hunting reservation as well that have zero predator control done on them, the main limiting control method has been mange for many years.
Wrong!!! A few of the ranches in one area pool together and have a plane with gunner go through the area around or just before calveing time...
I thought they hit just one ranch but found out its more than that..

quote:
Far easier to work easy areas I get it Tim.
The only thing easey about my areas is access to most ranches that I wish to hunt on.
At one time I could honesty say it was easey as the coyote numbers was crazy there for a while.. One year a big storm came blowing through with very cold temps and dam near wiped out the antelope. There was'nt much around after that for food for the coyotes so the ranchers started to have problems with too many hungry coyotes around.. They brought a plane in and hit one of my better areas and took out 300 and some coyotes and then mange showed up and knocked the numbers down some more.. Now they are scattered around the area in pockets, some ranches have a few some not to many...
If the numbers where as high as you think then the guys hunting my area would be cleaning up on the contests held in the area, which is not the case...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5086 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2012 06:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
30˚ is shirtsleeve weather for a Minneesotan. But, not this one! I am NOT into cold weather, hate it!
Most here don't like it either but we get used to it the ones that don't head down to AZ for the winter and gather around all the golf courses. ( Paul just hates that)LOL

This year though it has been the shitzz. Snow don't last more than a day or two or we get rain instead.. I can go out at night and call in 30-40 temps. vrs. 32 or colder...

Bear watch out for the gumbo when the sun peaks...

Oh and make sure you have clean shorts on incase your in a accident.. [Big Grin]

[ March 01, 2012, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 03:48 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim if you think your weekend trips out to central SD is an effective means of predator control then so be it [Big Grin]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 03:58 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I highly doubt it..
I usually try to get a full week in when I'm there, that way I can go back and get some of the coyotes I missed the first day.. Two weeks at a time would even be better.. [Wink]

I don't believe there is an effective way to control pred.'s. If there was most of the ADC guys would be out of a job...
You remove a pair that may not be causeing any damage and leaveing the door open for another pr. that will.. I understand though if a rancher see's a coyote he wants it gone...

[ March 02, 2012, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 08:03 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
So Mr. "All things Coyote", lets hear a typical stand for you with the WT sounds you use. Don't be shy, tell us by name what sounds you start off with and how you handle coyotes.

Leonard,
Can TA get the "Coyote Whisperer" award this year to go with that Major League shirt?

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 09:03 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"So Mr. "All things Coyote", lets hear a typical stand for you with the WT sounds you use. Don't be shy, tell us by name what sounds you start off with and how you handle coyotes."
-----------------------------------
OMG TUNDRA, you are gonna cause us to laugh ourselves to death.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 09:17 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
If anybody actually read all the stuff that clown puts out his title should probably just be "Mr. All Things Everything". The guy knows no bounds, just ask him. From coyote whispering to heavy equipment operations he can do it all.

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 09:40 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"If anybody actually read all the stuff that clown puts out his title should probably just be "Mr. All Things Everything". The guy knows no bounds, just ask him. From coyote whispering to heavy equipment operations he can do it all."
----------------------------------------
Well I hadn't thought about it before, but yes he actually is really "Knowed up" on everything. I am jealous now.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 11:35 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So Mr. "All things Coyote", lets hear a typical stand for you with the WT sounds you use.
I believe you asked the same question a year or so ago. And I'm going to give you the same answer, " go figure it out yourself. [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 11:46 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The guy knows no bounds, just ask him. From coyote whispering to heavy equipment operations he can do it all."

I don't live in some big city but a small town with the population of 500.. I worked on farms and ranches through highschool and been in the heavey construction trade since I got out of the service. Most of the big companies I worked for are non Union so you have to learn to fix your own equipement that you run, nice thing about that is the more you learn and know the bigger your Hourly wage is.. Maybe some day I'll show you my personnel trophy wall...
My writeing may not be the greastest but I don't really care and what stuff I do take a interest in like hunting, calling or guns I try to do the best I can and improve as much as I can to be better at it. Makes it that much more enjoyable for me.. I'm 52 yrs old and been to alot of places and learned to do alot of things. I really feel sorry for those guys working the 9-5 jobs, there home everynight and lead a boaring life...LOL [Wink]

Edit for some spelling.. [Big Grin]

[ March 02, 2012, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 11:47 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
You're willing to tell every little detail of your coyote whispering theories and hallucinations, but the easy items you cannot deliver on. Ha ha ha ha ha..... You crack me up Mr. All Things Coyote Whisperer.....
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 11:50 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a hands on fix it myself kinda guy too TA, go figure. I've been fortunate in life to be able to travel all over fishing and hunting. Now I'm living the dream here in Alaska and wouldn't trade it for the world. All that at the ripe old age of 34-ish. Maybe by the time I'm 52 I'll know everything in life like you.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 11:58 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
52? Holy Crap! I have a daughter the same age. Dang know it all kids anyhoooo! [Big Grin]

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 12:07 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
nice thing about that is the more you learn and know the bigger your Hourly wage is
Is it what you know, or what you tell them you know? If it's the later, you've gotta be a Go-zillionaire!!!
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 12:56 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, you wrote "personnel throphy wall...
". What in hell is a personnel throphy wall? For that matter, what in hell is a throphy?

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere, Dan, (the man) is getting the VAPORS!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 02:53 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what in hell is a throphy?

I dunno. Possibly something you get for getting a bunch of thriples?
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 03:10 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Good Predator control does exsist in many areas that run a GOOD program!!!! It isn't about total coyote killing, it is about killing those coyotes in historic areas that have caused troubles. Sheep ranchers get some great predator control, it is all about timing Tim and the time isn't for most Dec or January for sure!

Tim you remove pairs prior to lambing and it works as fill in takes longer. I have called,snared and trapped coyotes that for those sheep ranchers there losses where acceptable, it isn't all done with one tool durring "normal" coyote hide times.

When you think of a good run predator control program it isn't about the losses as some will happen no matter what due to budget and time constraints, but it is more about what you saved from being depredated on becuase of the efforts made at the proper times.

Tim take 2 weeks and cover what you can in those 2 weeks with just calling and at the times your keeping hides your doing little to stop depredation. Cattlemen it does start earlier but your breaking down concintrations around the early calvers and then putting out fires as they arrise, but with cattle it is a much shorter window of concern "normally" than it is with sheep producers who has to worry from lambs hitting the ground until lamb those lambs are sold at the sale barns.

Tim the overall numbers of reservation guys that pay to have flying done is minimal and I know the guy doing most of the flying on the reservation and he is a good one for sure!!!! he can pile up the coyotes and also does some contract work for the state in eastern SD. I believe your talking areas south and west of Eagle Butte correct?

Tim the jury still out on the louder the closer they think it is. They hear coyotes and communicate ALL the time they can pin point sounds very well, and so your louder sounds closer but what happens when they perceive it being closer and it isn't? They use their eyes and ears to do they not? You talk about a territorial boundry so how do you get them to cross that solid line by upping the sound, if in fact they hit that boundry and see nothing and your still a 1/2 mile or more away?

Does volume help at times? Sure it does but the old Bill Martz "theory" that the mighty MO caller incorperates some magic has never really been proven in the field. I have had coyotes at the proper time they are defending a boundry not want to cross it, so the option is to move closer and having ear shattering volume really played no part what so ever in that circumstance. Also what happens if that is a pair of 2 year olds and are more submissive, does the volume change their make up?

Alot has to do with the age class, coyote densities and time of year "YOU" are calling them. Not because your using the super dupper Bill Martz machine or sounds. I have proven that out to be pure bunk, aka "pyscho babble".

Even a calling dog at times is too much for that particular groupof coyotes, let alone some caller machine turning them into raging lunatics [Big Grin]

Durring the right times of the year that is done far more easy than "some" are willing to admitt and stick with the "zen" montra to show their knowledge and such [Wink]

It is like Ogorman advertising his trapping lures to have added enragers and demand a territoral response [Roll Eyes]

What fur trapper trapping at a time of year with 50-60% of the coyote population young of the year coyotes would want to use such a lure???

COUNTER PRODUCTIVE!!!!!!!

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 05:41 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fred just give the stuff to Kelly to wear, he earned it.. Besides is'nt Kelly the true inventer of the bucket-head E-call
Tim, I gave KJ his shirt last year!!!
 -

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That photo he is holding looks A LOT like Tim Anderson?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 06:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does volume help at times? Sure it does but the old Bill Martz "theory" that the mighty MO caller incorperates some magic has never really been proven in the field. I have had coyotes at the proper time they are defending a boundry not want to cross it, so the option is to move closer and having ear shattering volume really played no part what so ever in that circumstance. Also what happens if that is a pair of 2 year olds and are more submissive, does the volume change their make up?

When calling in the Dakotas my caller is set on full volume most stands and have coyotes come right in to the caller. The loud volume dose'nt seem to hurt my stands from what I can see and the coyotes just keep comeing in. I have a few on vid. with the caller blasting away and they just kept comeing so in a nutshell loud volume can't hurt...
Even some the of the younger coyotes that are less agressive will still show up with the caller on full volume, you just have to tone down the sound you are going to use. ( Example mouse over cotton-tail, cotton-tail over baby jack, baby jack over adult jack and so on...)) (same with coyote vocals. young coyote howls over adult female or male howls, female howls over adult male howls. ect.) Work up in aggression rather than just going to an adult challenge howl....ect. ect.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 06:28 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
anyone see the newest Dos Equis banner ad???

-

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 07:46 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim NO offense really I mean that, no BS but your last post made zero sense in relation to the point you made earlier that the WT and it's magical "ZEN" sounds create and demand a response.

Like Bill M telling me via a phone call that he and his sound box and sounds could actually run coyotes out of a territory [Big Grin]

Man I had a big laugh on that one. I even went so far to make a wager for him to come out and run coyotes off of my sheep kills, it sure would save the state tons of money, no need to kill them just chase them out of a denning area afraid of there lives and leave an easy food source because of his expertise, caller and "zen" sounds [Cool]

Sadly he never took my bet. I was hoping he would show up and we could meet some ranchers and tell them No problems we are going to scare them coyotes right off your sheep [Eek!]

--------------------

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2012 08:14 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
CW - what effect would Wolf howls have on a pair working sheep?

Would it be a deterant, or is the lure of the lambs too strong?
kj

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  14  15  16 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters