The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16 

Author Topic: FoxPro CS-24 Review for Tim
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 08:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's TA. Or somebody that has his password.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 09:33 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
So Tim (TA) or somebody has hacked his email possibly and is emailing you to get you all "knowed up" on the e-callers?

Tim....Is it you!!!!! Or were you hacked??? [Eek!]

So here I go out of my way to try and accomodate bucket head and he can't even ask his all important questions. Oh well, no loss.

On a side note. My new internal antenna MA-21 should be here soon. I'm real interested if it's just the cheap $8 RPSMA antenna or a new circuit mounted setup. Should be interesting to see how the remote range is.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 09:45 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the older type remote with buttons in different places too, works fine for me though I did send it in to have the battery wires replaced and upgraded, wonder why no new remote?

Anyway I still like my neoprene cover on mine, it started life as a bears tooth shell carrier for a rifle stock but works much better on the cs24.
 -

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 10:27 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Easy to change out in the frigid cold and holds that pack on there, even taking a whipper at 45MPH down the trail. The speaker ended up hitting a flat rock and denting the thing. No other caller is going to take that kind of hit and keep going....except maybe Leonard's Krakatoa.

Why do you have to change batteries out in the field??? Don't they last all day????

As for the E-caller falling off the sled at 45 mph and no serious damage you got lucky..
I've had mine fall off the truck roof going 30-40 mph a hand full of times on a hard surface road and so has a few other owners. Yes they are tuff TOA speakers but if the back cap hits a hard suface consider it gone as it will shatter in the cold on either the WT or F-P as they are the same TOA.

In some other posts you claimed you hated the WT cause it had wires hanging out from the side, looks like your F-P has a few hanging out as well..
As for your electrical wires they are nothing more than what we call silicone electrical wires, nothing specal and can be purchased at a NAPA store...
As for the special wires they are not needed down here in the lower 48 as it don't get that cold. so if there is any issue with them in the cold it dose'nt pay for Bill to use them as you and the few others up there are less than 2% of sales, helps keep cost down..

I have some stuff going on and will get back to you in a day or two.. [Smile]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 4854 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 10:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So here I go out of my way to try and accomodate bucket head and he can't even ask his all important questions. Oh well, no loss.
Whats the rush?? You said it was'nt important to you to begin with....

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 10:47 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
No rush, you were the one so antsy about me putting it here for you. So there it is. I can understand if you feel intimidated about asking questions about a better caller than your WT. You don't want to look bad in front of the boss man right?

Tim,
One day when you get a clue and hunt in cold weather hard you'll understand. Also Tim, I go on remote hunts where it's necessary to travel 80 to 100 miles to get a cabin. Things get pretty cold soaked in those temperatures, which I'm sure you know nothing about. I've killed the MA-21 batteries in a day Tim, so don't try to sing your praise to this choir. I know your WT runs for weeks on end with the same AAA battery as you spin circles holding it up in the air right? The wire sticking out of my caller will handle getting thrashed about. If it gets ripped hard, it will just unplug. The exposed antenna wire on the MA-21 was a joke, good thing they fixed it. Like I said, I have the internal on the way and should have a lowdown on range with it soon.
Thanks for the history on the wire Tim, I have around 300 feet of the stuff on spools in the garage, it's nothing fancy. Fancier than the MA-21 wires. Let me know how changing out those batteries in the pack on the MA-21 works out in the cold Tim.
 -

Face it Tim, you honestly are a road hunter and never really "rough" it longer than probably 45 minutes. Then you run back to your warm truck and drive to the next stand.

No rush back though, you're adding nothing new to this topic.

[ January 26, 2012, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 10:55 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No rush, you were the one so antsy about me putting it here for you. So there it is. I can understand if you feel intimidated about asking questions about a better caller than your WT. You don't want to look bad in front of the boss man right?
Was'nt antsy just running short on time.. Going back to the day shift for a spell plus I have to go pick up a new dog..

It'll take more than just you and Joe Dirt to intimidated me..
The Boss man is me, I make my own decisions and follow no one, unlike a few of you.. I think they call them followers/groupee's...LOL

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 11:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One day when you get a clue and hunt in cold weather hard you'll understand. Also Tim, I go on remote hunts where it's necessary to travel 80 to 100 miles to get a cabin. Things get pretty cold soaked in those temperatures, which I'm sure you know nothing about. I've killed the MA-21 batteries in a day Tim, so don't try to sing your praise to this choir. I know your WT runs for weeks on end with the same AAA battery as you spin circles holding it up in the air right?
Dose'nt F-P use the same battery holders as WT??? What Mod.s you made to the F-P can also be done with the WT, Same TOA speaker, only thing is you are less than 2% of all the callers that hunt in cold enough climate that has to modify there caller so it will work.. We don't have to do it down here..
As for hunting in the cold, the coldest for me was -15 and I hunted in it for a week straight. Some of the members know about it and could verify if they wished...

Battery life in my 2030 is more than a day but I recharge everynight when I get back to the warm Hotel or do it in the truck on the way back to town so I don't have to worry about it later that nite... It takes roughly 15 min.-1/2 hr. to recharge. How long does it take you?????

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 11:25 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh before I forget and a handfull of guys run out and buy up a 1000 feet of artic-wire (silicone wire)They should be aware that the copper wire on the inside will still break over time, the silcone caseing just keeps the outside from cracking...

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2012 11:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily, Tim. The wire is much finer and has many more strands, and is plated. The wire has a silicone, cold resistant sheath and will withstand a lot more flexing than THHN, for instance.

However, I don't think I need to worry about that issue and when I do, it is easily addressed.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 12:15 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
Thanks for adding some humor to this one, you honestly do not have a clue do you? How many Mountain Dew's did you drink before you had to start snapping the inner wires on your silicone sheathed wires? Brilliant....

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 06:03 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've had mine fall off the truck roof going 30-40 mph a hand full of times on a hard surface road and so has a few other owners
LOL!

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 07:17 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
As far as batteries go, I forgot to address those issues you had concerns with. FoxPro uses similar AA battery holders if you choose to use them. They also have SLA batteries and the option to use Li-Ion packs like I do. Look at the warning on the MA-21 battery pack though Tim! If you follow the directions on that one, it means you have to put in new AA's every time rather than just trade out the entire battery pack(s). My Li-Ion batteries typically take me about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to charge up at home after calling. It's fine for me in the field though, I always have 3 of them with me. I'm guessing that you are probably running the old Energizer rechargeables and their charger. I have the same batteries, but can get 12 of them charged in 15 minutes if wanted with multiple chargers. What's the point in how fast you can charge batteries if you're doing it in the hotel room Tim? You're a road hunter Tim or hotel hunter, whatever you want to call it. Good for you on your week long arctic hunting. Did you retire back to a hotel every night or camp in a tent? Been there done that Tim, just in -30 temperatures. I'm sure your WT batteries probably lasted that entire week? Or were you road hunting for a week in cold weather? Big difference Tim.

The CS-24 as is from FoxPro without the different modifications I have is still a better caller than the WT in my opinion Tim. The as is CS-24 is exactly the same except for the power plug ins and battery itself, not a big difference. The CS-24 is a tougher, better sounding, programmable, better warranty (should I ever need it), single button operation for favorite sounds,...etc. caller than the WT. Tell me again why your own personal modified WT is better?

[ January 27, 2012, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 07:25 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Boss man is me, I make my own decisions and follow no one, unlike a few of you.
This might come as a surprise to you Tim, but your boss is an idiot!

As the other question someone asked about the difference between the CS-24 and the CS-24B. The B has Foxbang, Foxcast, and Foxfade. Plus they updated some with the transitor and receiver on my caller. I was messing with it last night and it works flawlessly. [Smile]

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 07:55 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard its still manmade and is like you said made up of smaller strands of wire and yes they will break on the inside... I have certain tools for work that use this type of wire along with a few machines and the wire is also used in a Outers foul out gun cleaning system that I also happen to have.. Yes it does have a little more give compared to other types of wire used but like said it will also break in time..

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 07:55 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Troy,
Thanks for the information on the "B" model, I wasn't sure what the differences were. So I guess mine would be considered a "B" too since I sent it back in for those additions. I want the next feature to be called "FoxMagic". It will float the caller in place and go collect the animal for me after a hunt.

Tim,
The silicon wire will last longer than those WT antenna wires that you have if you actually rotate the thing up. It will also last longer than the MA-21 battery wires. I'm glad that I could help answer your questions, let me know anytime you need help.

[ January 27, 2012, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 09:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife used to read the Board, just to find out what I was up to. She would shake her head and smile and wonder how grown men could get so excited over such trivial bullshit. I always told her that at least it keeps us out of Titty Bars, for the most part. We owe Tim a lot, for the entertainment value alone, not to mention the valuable info. Sometimes I think he knows exactly what he's doing, playing you guys like a fiddle. lo (really) l

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 09:39 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I was going to ask you if your Krakatoa is the newest model, or the earlier model that utilized the same circuit as the original CS-24? If yours is older, chances are it's the older circuit. The new model is a different beast with even more power. Thanks.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that? As I said, I have had it a year, so I would guess it could be the older, less powerful model? That's not real important, to me. It's plenty loud.

Good hunting. LB

Maybe I should ask for a refund?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 10:01 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The silicon wire will last longer than those WT antenna wires that you have if you actually rotate the thing up. It will also last longer than the MA-21 battery wires. I'm glad that I could help answer your questions, let me know anytime you need help.

When do I need to replace the antenna wire???
The oringanal one I have seems to be working just fine...Hmmm

I don't have any issues with mine so I guess your out of a job..LOL

Oh before I forget; That warning label on the Atom battery pack is to keep people from unsnapping it as the snap will ware out, normal ware and tare...Once some of the prongs get bent you can bend them back into place if needed for a short time but sooner or later a few of the prongs will break off.. Had walkie talkies with same battery connecters. The only time you need to unsnap it is if you need to replace the tray, have'nt had to do that yet with my 2030, but have done it on the one I got from Kelly....

--------------------

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 10:09 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tundra, good review and interesting stuff, even if it does make Tiny jealous.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 10:11 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
You actually don't need a remote controlled caller Tim, considering it sits in your lap or on your head, correct?

Like I said before Tim, you're a road and hotel hunter. You don't know much about actually having to do anything in the field, other than spin your caller above your head and sit down. After I destroyed the original MA-21 battery pack in the cold trying to change out batteries, I went to a better method. Change out the 10AA and 4AA pack entirely at the same time. No fumbling with individual batteries in the field. But then again, I don't use the MA-21 anymore so can really care less. You on the other hand have a new one on the way that will probably never see the cold for more than 30 minutes at a time.

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 10:43 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
, I go on remote hunts where it's necessary to travel 80 to 100 miles to get a cabin
By snow machine or truck or do you walk????

I'm assumeing you use a snow-machine, most guys here have perhaps never seen or have been on one...
Putting 100 miles on a sled in one day is'nt to hard to do as we do it all the time on week-ends when we make night runs .. The heat from the engine compartment blows back on the operater and if you have a full windsheild its not that big of a deal as far as being out in the cold and then there are the little add on like hand-grip warmers.. Just have to dress for it and go have fun...

[ January 27, 2012, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 10:51 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You actually don't need a remote controlled caller Tim, considering it sits in your lap or on your head, correct?
None of the above.. It sits on the ground about arms length away.. Kelly and Fred put the F-P on there heads..
You don't have to have a E-caller sitting out 50-100-200 yds from your stand to kill coyotes if you know how to read body language and work coyotes comeing in. Some people just tend to over think it...

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2012 11:23 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
100 miles on snowmachine Tim. And what exactly is a "night run" Tim? Is that your term for how you hunt? Do you literally run them down?

In looking at your Minnesota rules for hunting it says this:
Unprotected Mammals
Weasels, coyotes, gophers,porcupines,striped skunks, and all other mammals for which there are no closed seasons or other protection are unprotected animals. They may be taken in any manner, except with the aid of artificial lights or by using a motor vehicle to drive, chase, run
over, or kill the animal.

Am I missing something here or is there another rule for how you hunt?

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters