The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Minaska Bandit (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Minaska Bandit
Nahuatl
Knows what it's all about
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else on the west coast have a Bandit yet?

-

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl,
You certainly have a winner with that one. [Wink]

[ July 31, 2006, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Rich ]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
you sure do! looks like a nice unit.

Minaska is the way to go if you have to stay in that price range. They seem to be less problematic and have better sound quality as some others.

how do you like it?

Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked those over pretty closely and am interested in maybe getting one for calling coons. They have a very diverse and impressive library of coon sound files. But, from my experience, I don't know that all those sounds are necessary since coons aren't like coyotes, smarts-wise. When you can sit in the pickup and call them out of the den tree for the shot, I don't suspect you're dealing with an animal that's going to get "educated" to one particular sound and a bad experience like a coyote might. Anyway, they're on my short list right now.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
have been looking at them... need to find one where I can put my hands on it... want to see if it is going to be as heavy as the 612; if so, the 612 will still be the anchor of choice.

What is your impression of this calling unit? Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 10:17 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, there are too many good things to say about it. Lightweight, great sound from the cone speaker, really loud from the horn, 100 sounds - packed with the best of WT, Johnny S, FP, MO etc. Easy to load/change sounds and excellent remote. Trying hard for something to rag on, but haven't found it yet. I'll work on that.
Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2006 08:57 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you like it! Hope is does good for you for a long time!
Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 08:56 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
When everything works, it works. Double Barrel Double at daylight. 35 and 37 yards with Hevi-Shot taken off the back porch. Bandit at minimum volume playing JS's high-pitched cottontail. First dog at the 8 second mark, my fastest ever. Second within seconds. Third fled. Hat trick on the previous stand at dusk taken about 400 yards east, still on my property.

-

-

[ August 16, 2006, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good shooting. Did you loose the pony tail? lol

edit: PS, which model is that? I looked at their site and couldn't figure the differences, other than a camo paint, and 100 sounds. Are there two different speakers accounting for the optional price? Not real clear to me? LB

[ August 16, 2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 08:36 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
It is called the Big Country Bandit. It has a cone speaker and a TOA speaker. The cone speaker produces the best sound I have ever heard. Also the Bandit has the best remote I have ever used. I ain't found nothing wrong with this unit, but I have quit looking.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 10:00 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has one just like that one. It's an awesome caller. There really isn't anything you can't do with it.

I think the Borland brothers have a very good thing going.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 05:53 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl or Anyone, Could you explain the two speakers? Is one in the back of the unit?
EDIT: Got that one figured out on their website.

Are you using the JS cd sounds or somehow getting them off the old tapes to the caller? Anyone using some sort of over the shoulder carrying strap? How many decibels is that TOA speaker capable of putting out? They say that a pig can squeal at 110 to 115?

Dennis

[ August 17, 2006, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 12:50 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
I think that speaker is rated at 110 or 115 DB, but I can tell you that it will scream louder than a pig. I have the horn speaker built in to my Bandit, and I have their external 30 amp speaker if I should ever need it. I do believe that I could break eardrums at 100 yards with that 30 amp bugger. [Smile]

--------------------

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 01:29 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Laughing back, LB. I've had so much hair through most of my life that the ponytail was the only way to tame the curly mess. I think it was last year it finally thinned out enough that I could finally wear a regular haircut.

Hunter's Specialties continues to discontinue the Johnny Stewart sounds, so I bought what I could on cd and the rest on tape and edited the bunch for e-calling.

The stack-barrel double is a what I'm aiming for. Two-shots, two kills. The Hevi-shot Dead Coyote is great stuff. It may not kill em all the way dead with every shot, but it leaves em doing the left circle dance every time. One of these days, I hope to get three with two shells.

Randy, you're right-on about Minaska's cone speaker. I get good results with frequencies as high as 17Khz, so high only the critters can hear them. This unit will play the horn, or the cone, or both. You can stand behind the horn speaker, but not in front of it.

Dennis, it's very loud. The pelican case has a carry handle, but you could certainly add a strap. I've been very pleased with the remote. It works through walls, rocks, and trees and has more range than I'll ever use. It is by far a better unit than my WT for many reasons, the least of which is dealing with slick Willy. I like being able to change sounds with one touch.

I'm going to give the Bandit a real work out this fall on bear, lion, and pigs along with plenty of coyote trips to see just how good it is.

I also liked dealing with Steve Borland at Minaska. The customer service is excellent. I'm still looking for something bad to say about the caller or the company. They're the new guy on the block.

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 05:56 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl

Can you see the numbers on the keypad at night?

I'm considering buying one for basically two applications. My bird distress sucks big time. I can't thrill worth a ****. And I also want high volume for doing some of the serenade type howls, for locating. If my partner drops me off and then drives a mile or two down and road and turns on the siren, I want him to be able to hear my return with the serenade. Shock value.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 07:20 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, I like your siren technique.

quote:
I can't thrill worth a ****.
Dr. Ruth may be able to help with that. [Smile]
IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 08:58 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, you sold me on your unit. Steve and I talked last night.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2006 01:28 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
My BCB just arrived. Haven't even opened the box yet. I'll give it a little pre-trial as soon as I get off work. Yea! New toy! [Big Grin]
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2006 02:56 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA,
Warn us to turn the volume down on our computer speakers before you post a sound bite from that thing will ya? [Big Grin]

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2006 03:23 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I heard that baby is supposed to have some volume to it. I'd better not do a sound test at the apt. complex, then. [Big Grin]

I've got a spot in mind that's only about 10 minutes away. It's where I go call fox on my lunch hour. Should get some 'coon action out of the same area, too.

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll like it Tom. I'm calling game almost every time out. August was very good.

Greenside the remote glows with a light charge from the flashlight.

The aluminum speaker can make a bit of noise when I'm walking and it hits a branch or a button on my pants. I'm going to start carrying it in a pack so I can bring a camera, gloves, water, sticks and a stool, and free up my hands.

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2006 11:05 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from spending my lunch break driving about 6 coons crazy. I took the Bandit out to a wooded area near work. There is an old barn there that has collapsed and is grown over. Seemed like a good spot.

A friend and I set the caller about 20' away from the truck, and sat down to eat our taco bell lunch. I hit coon fight at full volume (to demonstrate) for about 2-3 seconds and then cranked it down. Before I could even get a bite of food, they started coming out of the woods. From 3 directions! The guy with me couldn't believe it.

We screwed with them for about 15 minutes, trying different sounds and trying to chase them off and then call them back.

It's everything it's advertised to be!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2006 03:00 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
What? You didn't believe me?

Pretty intense, eh?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2006 04:06 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen anything like it. It's going to be like shooting jacks at Cal's place! Can't wait for fur season.
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much our first impression, too. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I honestly tried my best in Hutch to NOT make it sound like what I was saying made it out to be more than it really was, but you recall I said that they come in fast and you have to be ready when you hit the "go" button. Now you know why I said that shooting in those conditions is strictly fire for effect rather than p[recision marksmanship. [Big Grin] Glad to know you had the same results.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters