The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Extra ammo on stand.. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Extra ammo on stand..
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2019 07:03 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Only one time have I ever ran out of ammunition on a day hunt, had 15 rounds in the ammo box, and under usual circumstances, that's enough for two days of hunting, handcuffed myself that day.
What has fucked me up more times that not, is not having extra batteries with me. When your 30 miles from home, and nestle into your first stand of a golden morning, and three minutes into the first stand, the absolute worst sound in the world.....is no sound, now that, Ive done several times. All ws not lost, just spent the rest of the day wandering around with my dog looking for Indian artifacts and such.

Posts: 1633 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2019 08:49 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I’ve had that happen more than a few times. I always have a Critr call or Weems call around my neck for those times.
Posts: 1627 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2019 04:15 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda been thinking along the same lines as Brent & Mr. Vic. That being, if you're actually needing a 10rd magazine on stand, you're either doing something very right...or, very wrong!

On a "good" stand, you get the coyotes coming like they're on a conveyor belt...one or two, then another one pops up, etc. It's like rifle 'whack-a-mole', the greatest fun ever! Just sayin', ya have ample time in between whackin' to drop & swap a 5rd mag, if necessary...

Conversely, on a "bad" stand gone awry, the proverbial shit hits the fan with multiples charging in, then scattering when the shootin' starts. When that happens, how often do you get the chance to break 5 clean shots at viable targets? Sure, maybe ya knock #1 down, then bark #2 to a stop & smoke it. But, after that stragglers tend to head for Dodge city! Then, its air ball time @ 300+ on Wiley with his ears pinned back. Good luck on those!!!

I've hunted enough 'out west' to know that, even on the most open areas like a Nebraska Sandhills, you pretty much have 3-5 cracks at flaring/ running coyotes before the reality sets in that ya just milked that stand for it's worth...

Now, if you're wanting to hike & hunt for miles from the truck, I can see wanting a large capacity mag, for sheer storage capacity. But, reckon if I'm doing that, I'll have some sort of mini backpack on to tote caller, sticks, water, etc. Given that, you could keep a softy ammo wallet in the pack that protects your precious hand loads.

. Like this one

Still, a Ziplock freezer bag lined with a paper towel will hold looseys well enough in a pack..

[ April 09, 2019, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2019 09:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A pet peeve of mine, Fred. They take us for a bunch of Rubes, so they camouflage stuff for the eye appeal, regardless of the utility. I always think, if I drop my knife or my call or my flashlight, why make it hard to find? So why use a camo pattern on the inside of that swell ammo pouch? I give up?

My buddy gave me an expensive looking leather wallet for holding 5 extra cartridges. It's rather handsome, but I have never actually packed it anywhere. Should last a long time?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31491 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2019 01:14 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I do have an ammo pouch like those for my gear bag, and I just ordered a 10 rounder from the site Fred posted above.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2019 10:53 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
For me I got one in the gun and nine in a holder on the stock. I hunt a lot from a four wheeler so I always got some more in my box on the back of the four wheeler. I do a lot of cat and coon hunting with a single shot 22 hornet, on it I got a pouch that slides over the stock that I can put 15 in it easy.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 09:25 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the People's Republik we can only hunt with three rounds in the gun. If I have an AR I usually have a five rounder loaded with three in the gun and another loaded with three in my pocket.

Meanwhile my issue Colt is locked in a gun rack in the Explorer with three 30 rounders. Great state we have here, and it's only getting worse under the new governor.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 03:37 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
A pic for Leonard..a little ammo card that rides on the stock. I know you want one...copier!

-

[ April 13, 2019, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 05:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee thanks! That looks like just the thing for my stock. No dice. I’m pretty fussy about gear hanging on my rifle. Wouldn’t even want to try it to see if I’d like it. I won’t like it.

But thanks
Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 08:11 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to grab a rifle and go hunting. So I have one of the stock ammo carriers on all my bolt guns and grab 5 to load the gun with. That will usually last me all morning but I tend to park at the gate and walk a mile or 5 before getting back to the truck.

AR's, I'm good with one 20 round mag.

But my EDC is a 15 round 9mm in an IWB holster and an extra 15 round mag on my belt, a folding knife and a flashlight. I carry all my basic hunting gear in a HPG kit bag. You just never know...

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 02:07 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I always feel better having an extra gun on me in the woods. Like you said, you never know...

Aside from that, one time I had to track a wounded coyote through some low growing rhododendron. It was so thick I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get through it. I ended up dragging the shottie behind me and held a pistol out in front of me as I was crawling. I didn't want to bump into a nasty wounded coyote right in my face..

[ April 14, 2019, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 03:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't have any thing against a spare rifle, in fact, I always have at least one extra. Granted, they are usually configured differently, like the night gun is heavy, with a higher powered scope. And usually have what Fred calls a "shottie".

The thing is, Virtually all my hunting has been long weekend trips, not just grabbing a handy rifle and out the door for a couple quick stands before supper. I'm gone from Friday until dark Sunday then sit in front of the TV until I fall asleep.

Anybody that puts on 1000-1500 miles will probably have a spare rifle with him. We just do things differently out here. Actually, you have to. I can't even legally shoot until I get past Barstow and that's 75 miles away. So, if I want to get to desert wilderness, and get away from people along the coast, I have to head for the border. Been doing it that way since 1968. Lots of rubber, lots of gas but beats watching ESPN on weekends.

Close encounters with cats and dogs? Yup, been there, defended myself, too. Not so much an animal that is hurt and you can walk up on. No, it's the ones that are desperately trying to escape that will turn on you. Again, we don't crawl through the flower beds out here. Too much cactus and thorns, scorpions, rattlesnakes and sharp rocks like lava.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 07:57 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The last couple of years we've started to have a bad hog problem around my part of the country. I have had two different boars charge in on me while calling. Frist one came in while I was trying to call coons, took three shots in the head from my 22 hornet to put it down. The last one came in from behind me was just able to jump out of the way before it hit me. Had the 22-250 that time just took one behind the ear to put it down. After that I started carrying my 40sw on my side things can get alittle wild some times. I've shoot some that have had 3" tusk, if they every hit you with them they could tear a body up. I use to make fun of my hunting buddy for carrying a side arm on a evening hunt but now I carry mind all the time and he just looks at me and grins.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 06:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You bring up a damned good point, Eddie. Hogs are big and at least as fast as a coyote. We have some north of here on private land but that's why I hardly ever go that way.

In fact, 49 was talking about crawling after a wounded coyote through brush and it reminded me of the tunnels that the hogs have through the manzanita, and it's not too smart to crawl after them. besides, just as soon as you would start, they would be out the other side and galloping away up a hill.

But, I'm not anywhere near to packing iron on my hip, that's a little too melodramatic for this kid. After I get mauled maybe I will change my mind?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 07:18 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
The one and only stand I made this year was to kill a bobcat that a lady wanted removed from her property. I called a big cat up late in the evening and shot it but it jumped and hauled tail to the brush. It was getting dark and I was more comfortable searching for it with my 9mm pistol in my hand than with my machine gun.

Hogs are thick here but so far they've ran away from me instead of towards me thankfully.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 10:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, wow! Those 223 machineguns are usually very deadly on cats? (just kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 02:17 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I figured you'd get a kick out of that.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters