The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Interesting sighting..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting sighting..
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2019 05:27 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Was out calling a couple days ago and I had just got up and walked about 50 yards when I saw something black moving in the brush about 40 yards below me. I figured it was an escaped Angus.

It spooked, and a fat black bear went chugging down the draw. It stopped after running a couple hundred yards and just stayed there until I finally went on.

I've never seen a black bear roaming this time of year. I've never even cut bear tracks at this time of the year. For these parts, it's a rare sighting in the winter months.

[ January 08, 2019, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2019 05:56 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Buddy texted me a fresh bear track in the snow a couple weeks ago. Really big one too. We thought it was kinda unusual considering the time and place.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 06:14 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that black bear hibernated, but I have seen a few in the winter while calling, or just out with the dog. I understand now that black bear apparently go into a "winter torpor," and don't fully hibernate.

[ January 10, 2019, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 07:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and I heard that new Jersey is full of them? Seems a little strange? I don't see very many and when I do, they are in Arizona. We have them in our local mountains, and that is some tough hunting, if you are interested. If you can find a place to park and access. But every year, you see stories on the news where a bear has come down, climbed a fence and went swimming in somebody's pool. And then eat Fluffy.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 09:41 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
We do have plenty of bear here. I worked the bear hunt protests this year. These protesters get all worked up. You might see my ugly mug in some of the video.

https://www.njherald.com/20181009/bear-hunt-off-to-slow-start-four-protesters-arrested#

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2019 05:34 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew they weren't a true hibernator like say a ground squirrel, but basically sit the winter out in kind of a deep sleep/torpor due to lack of food.

From what I've heard, if they find a good food source they will stay active in winter weather until its gone.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters