The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Hand held gps (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hand held gps
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2018 01:48 PM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking to buy a GPS unit to use for hunting. Which unit do y'all suggest?
And does anyone run on X maps?
Thanks

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2018 02:25 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Have a few years old Garmin Oregon 450T that is perfectly adequate, but the screen contrast & brightness left something to be desired. But it'll get ya where ya wanna go, and back on a couple AAs

Upgraded to an Oregon 700...screen & ease of use much better!

And, yes to On X. Have purchased maps for a few 'out west' states, and the info & detail provided were worth the price...for this flat-land-non-resident. I actually have On X on my phone, too...

They make some GPS units with integrated comms, but that wasn't a feature I cared to have.

Good luck!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2018 03:09 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have OnX and love it. I have a chip in an old Garmin and have on phone as well.

Not sure what I would get if I bought a new stand alone GPS unit.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2018 04:29 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I have the OnX map for my Phone definitely the way to go....
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2018 04:56 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
My old garmin gps gathers dust. I have the premium package for OnX on my phone and on tablets in trucks. Its awesome for weigh points, landowners, topo etc. Definitely thought out and designed by hunters. Plus, larger screen sizes than most gps's. The down side is the accuracy of the overlays and individual location. I have seen discrepancies of more than 300'.

OnX, google maps and google earth have all but retired my Garmin.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2018 05:06 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I’ve got the premium package too. Love it. I will usually down load the area to the offline feature I plan on hunting the night before. Most of the areas I hunt have no service so I just keep my phone in airplane mode and use the offline map I down loaded. So phone doesn’t use much battery.

[ December 18, 2018, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2018 05:50 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you gentlemen for the handy info. My phone isn't the best for gps.... I have recalibrated it several times and still its off by a quarter mile so a dedicated gps is going to be my best option.
I am on a budget so this is my big hurdle.. No experience with this technology... Reading reviews and gathering info is my friend.
Thanks again guys

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2018 07:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It hurts to be so out of touch on friggin' backpacks, but now THIS ! I haven't even retired my Garmin. What the hell is a on x?

Give me the good old days.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2018 08:31 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Don t know what your budget is but..for "around" 150 bucks or less, you can get the ol' 62s that will run an OnX chip. I have one, the screen is irritatingly small, but it works.

For 189-200 you can get a little better Garmin 64. Thats as far as I got for research.

I still carry the 62s, (as well as my phone) and it works for me. Like I said, the screen is small, and its not a touch screen, so its a little irritating, especially when your used to a smartphone....but, it has served me pretty well riding in my backpack roaming thru the mountains or coyote hunting up and down Kalifornia and Arizona.
Mark

Also.. buy a shit load of batteries for em.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2018 11:42 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Have 2 hand held GPS'
One is the Garrmin 60CS
One is the Garmin 60CSx which will take a chip so you can put the Onx map system in it.
Bought the Garmin big screen for the pickup this summer and love it. It has the Onx map chip in it. Can set waypoints on it.
The Garmin 60CSx is mid range priced and user friendly. Never had used one when we bought the first one. Didn't take long to understand it and have it up and running.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2018 05:21 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon has a pretty good deal on the Garmin eTrex 20x for $126 and free shipping
Linky doesn't wanna paste, should be easy enough to search it...

[ December 20, 2018, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2018 05:51 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
I was scoping that one out on Amazon, knockemdown. My top dollar I can spend is about 150. I wish I had more to spend but I am saving the rest for the trip out to Arizona.
Oh! Can't forget the rechargeable batteries too!
Thanks again everyone.

Happy Holidays Huntmasters!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2018 06:04 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Great minds...LOL

Imho, skip the rechargeables, and run Energizer Lithium AAs. I've done both and prefer the Lithium batteries for GPS and headlamp. And a few spares weigh next to nothing to carry along...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2018 06:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on the lithiums. A couple days ago, I recharged all my rechargables, just as spares, but plugging in lithium AA. They seem to last forever. They don't give them away, however.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: oh, and they are Energizers. Normally I prefer diehard but if they make 'em, I haven't seen any?

[ December 20, 2018, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Ariel Perez
Member # 4678

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2018 12:42 PM      Profile for Ariel Perez   Email Ariel Perez         Edit/Delete Post 
On x is what I use and I think it’s a lot better then a handheld in my opinion but that’s not much.

--------------------
AP

Posts: 60 | From: South/eastern Az | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2018 04:38 PM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Been researching the shitty GPS accuracy on my phone. I found most smart phones have different modes of GPS. My problem was the phone I am using was set on battery saving mode, I switched the mode to high accuracy and what do know? Its finally pin pointing me. Which is awesome for my hunting apps but big brother knows my exact location... That sucks.
If one needs to change modes you will want to go to your settings tab, hit the location tab and look for the mode. Click which one you want to use and your set. Also might try the Google map gps reset deal.... waving of the phone in figure 8s.. It worked for me.... Weird but it worked.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2018 09:11 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say On X has a sale on now, for $20/year it looks pretty good. I had a big ranch that was being sold off bit by bit and it comes in handy knowing not only where the property lines are but who owns it as well.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 02:40 PM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Got in under the wire for the discount. Thanks for the heads up. My first time using this phone app. I like the off line feature.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 04:14 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I use the onX for one thing , knowing if I'm on public or private ground it works ! this from an analog man stuck in a digital world.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2019 07:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about that, Paul, from the guy that mentioned to me about how a land owner has to post his property, (in AZ) every so often, and if he don't I guess you can enter? How does that work, exactly, Mr Analog?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2019 07:58 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
On private unposted land footholds are legal on public cages are needed !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2019 08:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I was just thinking of the trespass considerations? I thought you said, if a land owner doesn't legally post his property at regular intervals, that there is no reason why you can't enter? And, if he objects, he can request that you leave, which would be the right thing to do. Leave, that is.

Point is, he can't shoot you or have you arrested if he didn't properly post his No Trespass signs? I thought that is how you described the situation? That's what I always tell them...well, Paul said; and that settles that.

Just kidding, but I'm not trapping.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2019 08:23 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard the letter of the law is every corner must bs posted and every quarter mile in between , sign
must state no trespassing no hunting ,trapping and then list the Arizona revised statue at the bottom. For me any sign and I stay off its just common respect!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2019 08:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly understand respect. But, the situation I would encounter in western Colorado was a piece of engineer tape wrapped around a post, supposed to indicate No Trespassing. I'm talking about uncertainty and honest mistakes as to whether or not the land in question might be state trust or BLM or other public property. I'm not looking for trouble. But, I approach it from the standpoint of, it ain't posted, therefore access is allowed? You know, having spent so much time in Nevada, where there are very few restrictions, and then AZ is a little different. I don't know the exact numbers, but the whole state of Nevada must be at least 75/80% public land. AZ seems to have these gray areas and all I need is a hunting license. You know? Like that.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2019 04:30 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,if you want to try the concept on your phone for free take a look here.
https://www.gaiagps.com/
Lotsa hunters use this and feel it's better than OnX.
I use both.Of course they offer 'premium' memberships for $$ with added features etc as well.
A hi tec buddy claims they are the future.Who knows?Easy n cheap to try though.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters