The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Pup Killin'...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pup Killin'...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2018 09:18 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently installed a new Swaro scope as well as a Triggertech trigger on one of my frequntly used,Rem 700 22-250's..sighted her in and was anxious to do some calling with it.

So Memorial day Monday, I load up at 4 am and head out to some old stomping grounds where I know they are running sheep. The whole area gets hit hard and I knew I might strike out but oh well. As always, I end up racing the sun, trying to get on stand right at shooting light. As Im fighting that, I realize that it's a full moon...which I fucking hate.

Anyways, long story short, struck out on the first stand but after that, next 5 stands produced, then it got hot as shit and I quit. Got tired of dodging snakes anyways, area is loaded with them. The same combo I have used for a hundred years pulled em in..howls coupled with pup distress. Open reed howler on the first succesful stand couple with a distress diapragm, then I cranked up the CS24 after that for the rest of the stands, with some male/female howls and pup distress.

Called up 2 big adults and didnt get any of em, after that it was all pups...like 12-15 of them, I shot 5 all together, stands were not that far apart either...crazy morning. I even stopped to watch a road runner grab a small rattler and beat the shit outta him, slamming him back and forth on the ground...quite satisfying.

Not a big photo taker but here is the last one I shot I think..
[IMG]  - 005 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Little fella I just about stepped on:

[IMG]  - 002 by Lonehowl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Link will take you to a little "snake getting away vid. Had to poke him with a stick to get him out of my way.

https://flic.kr/p/27zpxuQ

[ May 29, 2018, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2018 12:00 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Was out and about a little bit this weekend too. Looking for rock chucks and shooting a few. Saw four coyotes from the truck. None of them looked like pups, but, except for the one we decided to kill - whether out of peer pressure or just low down meanness I'm not sure - but except for that one, didn't get to handle any of the others. Pretty sure they were all old ones though, know a couple were, just plain BIG!

Not unusual to see a ratter or two in the country we were rolling, this time of year. Hardly ever very many though. It was pretty cold this weekend though, rained and hailed and we saw none.

But, almost never see any snakes while calling. Even when it's still warm enough. But, there is this one stand, have killed coyotes on it a few times. Last time I went to make that stand, two years ago, getting ready to sit down and my buddy says BIG RATTLER! And damned if there wasn't, a big rattler, only a few yards off. Then we noticed another, and another and another. All hanging out around a big crack in the rock face. Turns out, there is a den right there, I guess.

So, anyway... Me and Tim rolled up on that same spot Saturday and I was telling him about the snake den there (again, told him a bunch of times already I'm sure...). Well, up on top of the cliff right above, there was a colony of 'chucks out frolicking. Got out and leaned across the hood and dusted three of them in less than ten seconds. Walked over to inspect the carnage and look for snakes, didn't see any. Okay with me...

Coyote we (I) killed... We had camped out the night before. I had been ready to roll for awhile, Tim was slow getting out of bed and getting moving and I was just looking around and spotted a coyote that had already spotted us (two guys loading a truck and jaw boning, not hard to spot..). It was only 350 yards away, just looking at us. Then it layed down and we could see just it's head. Tim said "bet you can't shoot that coyote in the head". So, I was kind of forced to do it, ya know?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2018 12:08 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hell... Rambled on and didn't even get to what I was posting about in the first place...

How do you like the TriggerTech? What weight you have it set at? Is it a single stage?

I put a TriggerTech in my machine gun. It's a two stage but with a really short, really light first stage, so it feels and acts like a single stage to me. Have it as light as it would go, which is at 40 oz. A lot heavier than I really like, but it i super crisp and clean and consistent. For a machine gun trigger, I haven't felt one any better yet. Tried a Gieselle HSNM before this one, like the TT better for my purposes.

So, curious about the 700 flavor?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2018 01:27 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the trigger...single stage, "Model 700 Primary" is their designation. They have a couple more hopped up models for more money, but for my purposes, this one is awesome. I have it at 2.5 pounds. I may go lighter but that is a good hunting weight for me.

Also...this must be a banner year for jack rabbits! Must have seen a couple hundred yesterday
Mark
Edit..vid link don't work apparently.

[ May 29, 2018, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2018 03:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That snake looks ready to shed? I've heard all the arguments about how they are good to have around, bla bla bla, but if a rattler gives me any shit, I just might settle his hash without too much shame. I'm not exactly, "The only good snake is a dead snake" type, but if they get aggressive, I just might kill it. Fuck the bunny huggers, if you know what I mean?

I remember this huge Mojave Green one time, he was beautiful and I wanted him, so I searched around for a big branch to hold him down with. But, he saw me coming back with that branch and very quickly snuck into a great big tumbleweed. No chance to get him out of there so I guess he didn't get big by waiting for stuff to happen. Cya! He said...maybe it was Adios, Amigo!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31299 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2018 04:50 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran into 3 or 4 rattlers yesterday. Mostly smaller ones. That one in the pic I had to poke him a couple times to get him to even acknowledge me. He was uninterested. I have also done battle with a couple giants that DEFINITELY know that what you have in your hand ain't going to be good for them.
Roadrunners must be having a hayday...them birds were all over the place. Most people here have never even seen one...except in a cartoon.

I'd kinda like to get a couple big rattlers, and put some skins on my shooting sticks. Is that cruel? Sure would look snazzy...as my gramps used to say.
Yeah fuck those snakes.

Mark

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2018 05:00 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
To expound on the trigger some more...it does break like glass...as they say. Tiny bit of overtravel...they say .015. The shoe is decently narrow which I like. I have a Timney that is wide, used to like that but prefer a skinnier one nowadays.
I'm not an aftermarket trigger expert but have shot a few of them. I read good things about these so wanted to try em
Mark

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2018 02:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool beans. I think that roller bearing design really does work.

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2018 08:44 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Btw...obviously not puppies..but young uns none the less. I just use that term for "not full grown yoties". I wouldn't shoot little puppies? Well...almost maybe not.

Got some hate mail outta this lol. Some "hardcore" yotie hunters out there object to my shooting little coyotes. Honest...I shoot big ones too!
Mark

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 06:27 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Good shootin'. Several years ago, I was working a farm where a couple calves had been taken days before. Kevin and I set up and within a matter of seconds, had two coyotes charging in - one from his left, and one from straight out front. I got the one from the left and Kevin smacked the one in front of us when I saw a third coyote running from about 1 o'clock, quartering across toward my right. I lined up, took a WAG at the lead and let one go. Cartwheeled ass over nose at about 140 yards. I thought that was a pretty fair shot until I found him. Maybe ten pounds, if that. Just a puppy. Of course, Kevin began giving me a rash of shit for killing babies, so I told him, "I've been hunting coyotes a long time. Killed a bunch of them. Even got the college degree studying them. Put all that together and I'm damned neart positive that this sumbitch was gonna grow up to be a coyote." Mic drop! End of shit givin'.

Rarely see a dangerous snake hereabouts. Few prairie rattlers and copperheads east of me. Our biggest concern is ticks. Used to be that ticks couldn't hurt you. Nowadays, between them and the spotted fever and mosquitoes and Lyme Disease, seems like everything can kill you back.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 09:53 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
LH, When I read the title of your post about "pup-killin" I'm thinking, wow, the pups can't be much bigger than small housecats right now... But when I saw the picture, I could see they weren't pups, but rather yearling coyotes.

Good job shooting and I really don't appreciate snakes that much either. I don't see very many snakes in my area. Without putting myself in danger and the situation is right, I'll pretty much kill everyone I come across.

I've heard people say that rattlesnakes eat mice and such and there is no reason to kill them.

A lady-friend of mine owns a rock and gem shop and they have a rattlesnake in a huge display case. They feed it one mouse about every 10 days or so. That's all it will eat. Her hubby did a college dissertation on rattlesnakes in this area and found they eat about one mouse or vole a week in the wild. Not really putting a dent in the mouse population at that rate?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 10:24 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Lonny I dont feel sorry for snakes to much:)

My use of "pups" was/is misleading..on purpose, for those that didnt get it. Just my way of twisting some people up that have been lurking on this board waiting to pounce on people. I was just entertaining myself...a little clickbait if you will.

For the record, I didnt shoot any of this years fluffy little puppies. That will come around September-ish...if I do my part.
Mark

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 10:28 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I had a buddy that kept snakes when we were younger.Boa's etc. Then he got into spiders....thats where I draw the line! I couldnt even be in the same room with them! boxes and boxes of spiders...hell no.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2018 11:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....sucked me in. [Roll Eyes]

I kept a snake for years. What it was doing around here, I will never know, it was about a six foot gopher snake. Mean as hell, too! Son of a bitch was quick as greased lightning! Because I had a use for the 77 gallon tank, I bagged him and let him go out by the river near Barstow one night and it was below freezing, I doubt he crawled too far away before morning. You know how they say a snake swallows prey head first? I have seen this fucker pounce and swallow critters in the middle where he grabbed them and no readjusting, just folded them in half; not the head or the tail, right in the middle. Mostly lizards but also small rats. I don't know where a Gopher Snake stacks up against a rattlesnake, but like a King Snake, (although I never seen it) I'd put my money on this guy.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2018 07:26 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate copperheadedrattlemoccassins, all of em!

Killed one last week that the wifes cat brought in the house through the doggie door. Hate em!!

I'll try and post up a pic from the last time we went to the rattlesnake roundup when I get home.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2018 03:00 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom up here in Pawnee county we call them
rattleheadedcoppermoccassins.
Was mowing the yard last year when the wife came out to tell me my oldest son was on the phone. While she was walking towards me our rat terrier jump in front of her and started barking and growling. As I got closer I could see a copperhead just in front of the dog. I called the dog back and ran over the snake with the mower. Me and snakes don't get along.
As a hide hunter I never shot any pups but for predator control I can see it being done.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2018 06:02 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Must be a different species Eddie [Smile]

Well scratch the pic, I guess it's gone too.

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2018 04:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Eddie I love the visual of the mower on the snake , die bastard ! Great thread nice to have some hunting adventure !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2018 06:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing I've never seen a water moccasin or a copperhead? How would I know? The triangular shape of the head, or what? I sorta clasify them as rattlers and non-rattlers. Around here, we see rattlesnakes in the mountains or in rock piles, boulders etc.

One time, I was just sitting there, drinking a beer and watching a King Snake moving along the side of a hill. He was headed towards a large rock and ducked into the top side, apparently there was like a tunnel underneath the rock which was probably 3 feet across, more or less. Before he got his head 6-8 inches under the rock, a western diamondback came bursting out the lower side, not too big but smaller than the black snake. I didn't see what happened after that because of some bushes, I don't even know if the king snake went after him but I do know that he flushed that rattler out from under that rock in a big fucking hurry. Definitely scared to death, and usually, you don't get the impression that rattlesnakes are afraid of anything? They either must have an instinctual fear of King Snakes or have encountered them before? Although, by reputation, I don't think too many of those end in a draw?

I had a California Mountain King Snake once, a very pretty snake, red and yellow bands on a black body. How he got away, I'll never know? They are not unfriendly, nothing like that damned gopher snake, you can handle them, at least this one was docile.

I don't want to sound like a snake man, I'm definitely not.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I have an old friend, we used to work together. He kept three (different) rattlesnakes in the bed of his pick up. Don't ask, I don't know? I'm just imagining him empting a bag of mice or better yet, let the mice chew their way out of the bag!

[ June 07, 2018, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2018 09:23 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've known 5 people who were bitten by copperheads. The most recent one was a friend of mines girlfriend. Bit on the ankle in his yard I assume, spent a week or so in the hospital. Nasty little boogers that are well camouflaged and give no warning.

We have a lot of rattlesnake hunters around here, probably since we have a ton of snakes just South of us. A friend of mine brought by a cage full of rattlers he caught in one weekend. Why they do it, I'll never know.

Oh and this same guy did get bit 2 years ago while trying to catch another one. Just didn't see the one that got him till it was too late.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2018 10:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the scary part. I can't even count the number of times I've noticed the bastards at the last minute! If you could be aware of that window, a range of temperatures when they are active, you might be okay. That's more situational awareness than I am capable of, usually. I had this big guy, raised up like a cobra and try to get in the cab with me. They talk about the "pucker factor" and this was definitely one of those occasions!

I gotta admit, I usually feel pretty good when I dispatch a rattle snake. Not that I always fuck with them, but if I mess with one, no regret whatsoever. I bought some shot cartridges 40S&W with rattlesnakes in mind, but keep forgetting to pack them.

I also bought some old military surplus shot cartridges 45 Auto. I think I got about 50 rounds for 5 or 6 bucks. But they are packaged either 10 or 15 rounds, forget, not 50, in a tarpaper wrap. Sometimes you find strange stuff at a garage sale in the desert. I should'of bought everything he had.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters