The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » I want to talk about how much stand time (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I want to talk about how much stand time
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2018 07:09 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Competition is an interesting subject.
Fishing tournaments............goes against every reason that I fish.
Guy stands in the front of a boat that cost more than my first house looking like he's in a hurry to get somewhere.
Casts the water into a froth & rips the lips off of a one pound bass when it strikes.
Slams it into the live-well with one hand and is casting again with the other.
No interest. Zip. Zero. Nadda.
Archery tournaments, however, I enjoy competing in.
I entered one last Sunday that I had no chance of winning. (It was a three shoot aggregate event & I missed the first shoot.) Still had a good time with some good people. Set some goals for myself and met them rather nicely. Good preparation for the shoot in May in Calif. and good practice for hunting season.
Guess it all depends on one's priorities.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2018 03:48 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in May KoKo!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2018 06:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx, Paul.
It's a really good event that I look forward to every year. Rather than just have you stand in front of yet another target for two days, they put a lot of thought (and work) into setting it up.
Skipping an arrow off of a piece of plywood into a turkey target not challenging enough for you ?? They have another that you bank off of TWO pieces of plywood into the target.
Nine deer targets, shoot as many as you can between the stopwatch beeps ?? Yeah, that one's a hoot to watch people shoot. Couple of moving targets and a giant pigeon thrower, too.
Shots like that scattered all thru the course.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
To me fishing is out of bounds for competition. I fished purely for enjoyment. I've taken guys fishing that gloat over catching the biggest or most fish for a day and it always annoyed me.

Same with hunting pheasants or any birds or game like deer, etc.

I guess coyotes are a different matter because I did compete heavily back in the good old days and I won a lot of trophies that are buried in the Juneau dump because my former wife took them there during the divorce. Pins were important, too. It actually was contest hunting that ruined calling for me and got me to stop for a long period of time. I was calling for all the wrong reasons. When a coyote got away I saw a trophy walking off and I was killing them just for a piece of hardware that was going to collect dust and be forgotten.

I'm not trashing people that like competition but I enjoy the hunting for what it is. Many times I've had great days and never shared it with anyone.

When you live in SE Alaska you find that everyone catches fish so no one really talks about it or brags.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2018 05:44 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
LB, yep, 1 location, 100 coyotes in 5 or six seasons total. The District Biologist hunts down there for deer and he even told us to go down there because of the "alarming number of coyotes" in that area. The first time we hunted it, I had ten different coyotes that I knew about moving in and around the dead sunflowers in front of us. early in the year, we will usually see as many as 5-8 there each time we start calling. Some we've killed "not coming" to us, as once they wise up, they tend to take the same escape routes out of there as soon as they hear a call. We actually started setting up with gunners on those escape routes so I could go to my usual hide, start calling, and wait for the gun shots to sound.

Had a guy that archery hunted across the road and the owner told us he was tired of us running all those goddamned coyotes through his hunting area by calling in the section next door. He got the bright idea of parking his truck to block the two-track in for us, so we wouldn't be able to get to where we set up as easily.

There's a huge wetland area a mile further west that is a decent producer so one afternoon when that asshat was parked in our drive, we went to the swamp. Nothing came in to distress, even though I know that they were there. They usually bedded down in a low timber about a half-mile northwest of us. I launched the caller into a beautiful group yip howl and almost immediately, 4 or 5 coyotes answered back from that low timber. Moments later, two more packs answered from behind us, one of which was right there by that asshat's treestand.

Our pack never showed, so we walked out. I asked Kevin what he learned when they answered back, and he told me that he now knows where they claim as defended territory. I said, "Yep". and started laughing. He asked me why I was laughing and I pointed east.

Told him I'd bet him a beer that we circle the section and that bow hunter is gone. Told him that I'd bet that every damned deer in that section beat feet the hell outta Dodge when that pack lit up, and most bow hunters hereabouts have no idea what that yip howl means and it generally scares the shit out of them too. The best part of it was that I triggered that with an mp3 of real coyotes, so he had no idea that we blew his hunt up. All he heard was four separate packs of coyotes sound off. Didn't see him back there again, and it was leased for deer hunting this season. We slapped the shit out of coyotes there early on this season, taking a dozen or more, then only got a few. The guy that leased it tried to guide some boys from Iowa in there in late Jan for coyotes and called us asking where they all went. "We killed 'em." They didn't call anything. Early bird....

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters