The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » No Can Shoot (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No Can Shoot
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 05:59 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't. Thick, I guess. The position of our wildlife pros?

Assuming it is, mountain lions are native to Kansas, minus the mountains. So, I guess we'll call them cougars. Last one killed was in 1902. At least, officially. A rancher killed one about ten years ago in extreme southern Kansas and they eventually gave him a small fine and forgot about it. Since then, they've confirmed, like, sixteen different cats in the state. Because of the way most state's laws are now written, if there isn't an established season, you can't kill it. Legally.

Personally, I've never seen one. In the wild. Handled two that were kept in captivity by friends, but that's all. I am the only person locally that has ever actually seen their fresh tracks but I was in Colorado and had an experienced hunter with me to confirm what I told him I'd found. Lots guys see dog tracks and cry, "Lion". To me, there simply isn't any way to confuse the two once you've seen a real lion track. But, you sure can't convince those guys that what they saw isn't a lion track. Some even get bent over butt hurt when I try to refute them by pointing out why what they have a picture of isn't a lion track. I don't lose sleep over it.

In Kansas, it's a political hot potato. As a native, but extirpated species, lions are protected. This makes it hard when Kansas is the number two state for producing steaks and hamburger on the hoof. Add up all that lobbying power in Topeka and KDWP&T just don't want to be anywhere near that dialogue. Only way you can do anything to one is if you actually catch it in the act of killing something of value, i.e., cow or horse, and even then, the burden of proof is on you.

I've yet to actually see one on the hoof around here, but better than half my landowners order me to shoot one on sight if I see the one they've "been seeing for months." I have less than no interest in that level of hassle.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 06:04 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, the last day we hunted this year, we had an armadillo come moseying by. I was really surprised about that. First one of those I've seen in the wild, and equally surprised that they survived the cold snaps we had this year, with several week-long periods with lows well below zero at night.

Earlier in the season, I saw not one, but two groundhogs, thirty miles apart. Both them and the armadillos have been encroaching from north and south for years, but still not real common. Didn't shoot any of them either. Neither rises to the level of the beaver that came to a call for my partner three years ago. I'm guessing that was out of curiosity, dontcha think? He did shoot it and became one of the few guys I know that could claim that they called and killed a beaver.

Anyway, can anyone tell me when armadillos prime up, and how can you tell? Asking for a friend.

[ March 12, 2018, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2018 12:32 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen cougars in California, Oregon and Washington. I saw a lot of them up where I lived in N Central Washington state. I was with my daughters on our way to the Grand Coulee Dam when a huge one appeared on a rock outcropping. A little later we were fishing and ran into a game warden. He told us that if we had a chance to kill one do it and then go buy the tag. Same thing here in Oregon only I always had a tag. Problem is you have to call to see if the quota has been met and if you shoot a female you have to remove its reproductive organs and drive them to Salem. Yeah, a solid pain in the ass.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters