The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » The Lull... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Lull...
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2018 09:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, very good story!

Praise for AR. People write me all the time, can't log on for one reason or another, and they generally don't know anything, are using a different email address and don't even know their screen name. I always ask them if they know their MEMBER NUMBER? because the way the software is designed, that is the best, fastest search. Nobody has ever provided their member number, until today, Randy Shaw knew his member number!

And, by the way, I don't keep records on this but I would bet that LOCO would win the gold medal for number of times asking me for his log in information. You are the best, Danny!

Okay, now what did I get in here for anyway?

Oh yeah! About that third cat that ran off. Randy probably knows this? But, In many situations like that, it pays to chase after that damned cat! They aren't like a coyote and run into the next time zone. Nope, as soon as they get around the corner they slow down and it never crosses their little mind that somebody might chase after them. I have caught a few cats flat footed and surprised, very surprised! Remember this, too. A cat always goes uphill, so if you reach a point where you are not sure which way he went: pick uphill every time.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 13, 2018, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2018 05:49 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
An hour or so into a decent snow storm is when I like to get out calling. The following night after it's stopped usually goes well for me too.
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2018 05:33 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to thank all who've replied!
Nuggets upon nuggets to ponder...excellent!!!

Reading Randy's cat double story makes me wonder about how many cats come to a call, never to be seen, while a coyote lopes in for a bullet???

Think we had that happen earlier this year. First light stand looking over some rather tall broomweed. Coyote pops up and comes like it read the script. Stops about 70yds and I drop it right next to the call. Only thing is, at the shot, I saw a body flop and whirl about 20yds to the left???
The grass was tall enough to where I thought my coyote hit the ground and flopped all the way over there. But, in hindsight, wonder if a cat hadn't been sneaking in from the left, and boogered out at the shot when that coyote dropped right next to it??? Just speculating, but I know I saw a flash of size able fur & movement that couldn't have been the dead coyote, cuz it ground checked right where it stood...

Thoughts?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2018 08:36 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Cats amaze me at how they can cover 100 yards of bare ground and suddenly appear right in front of you.

They are the masters of stalking and we get to use that to our advantage at times. They think they are invisible so when you shoot at say a coyote that lopes in, most of the time they will stick around like nothing happened as long as the sound keeps their interest.

I remember calling a pair of cats that were standing 2' apart looking at the caller. I shot one and saw the other one just look at his friend like, what's wrong with you? Then he looked back at the caller so I shot him too.

If I'm in a cat area, I tend to stay on stand longer of course but the one thing that has made a difference for me is staying on stand after the calling quits. A lot of times I've had coyotes come in 5 minutes after the stand was over and I've also seen a cat just get up and walk away without being in invisible mode. I've also walked out to my caller only to finally see a cat standing there watching me, they can read your mind and move faster than you can in this situation.

I can't stand it when someone gets up after killing a critter but a lot of folks think the stand is over after they shoot.

[ February 16, 2018, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2018 09:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me add: because of what Tom mentioned, always take your rifle with you, when you go out to pick up a critter. The first time you have that helpless feeling because you left your rifle leaning against your stool and you kicked out another animal and you only have rocks to throw at him, if you are smart, you won't do it again.

I know that I can drag three coyotes with my rifle slung on my back, so don't give me any excuses.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2018 12:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Yeah, if you want to practice looking REALLY stupid, try leaving your shottie on the calling stool and end up chasing a 'dead' coyote across the desert with a .22 Derringer.
We learn................slowly sometimes.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2018 02:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Along those lines, I know a guy that had a runner get up in front of him, (no gun) so he threw a hunting knife and caught him right between the shoulder blades. At night.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2018 04:35 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I was calling in a wash and a quail hunter walked thru my stand so I get up leave my rifle on my stool go out and get the caller and look back and see a black coyote behind my stool. What a dumbass !

[ February 17, 2018, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters