The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Can we talk facemasks?... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Can we talk facemasks?...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 12:32 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
So..day calling...do you use a facemask? If so what kind (brand etc.)? What do you like about it? If you could design your own, what kind of features would you put into it? Get detailed.

Or...Does anyone really give a shit about facemasks? Are they passé?
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 02:46 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Used to feel naked without one, now I just don't bother. Probably because my favorite hat, which had a mask attached, finally just rotted to death.
I just wear a tan/green ball cap ,long sleeve wrangler shirt that has desert camo and jeans, kill no more or less coyotes than before?

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 04:05 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 

[ June 25, 2017, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 04:07 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 

[ June 25, 2017, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 04:08 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'm with Vic. Don't really even wear much Camo at all anymore when it's cold I have some insulated waterproof Camo coat and pants but I call and kill no more or less than without Camo. Never have wore a mask.
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 04:39 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly use one all the time. I'm a little particular about it. I have called tons of animals without one but I always seem to get caught when I'm calling pale faced in the wide open. As a side note, I moved away from camo as much as I could a long time ago. I like solid earth tones.

I asked because I know the hot setup nowdays is not to wear one. Just wanted to see what guys here were doing.
Mark

[ June 25, 2017, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 04:39 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly wear brown Carharts if I wear camo its just a nat gear shirt. I do avoid white socks LOL !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 05:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had one, therefore never wore one.

However, I don't fault anybody for wearing one. It could help, depending on your style, and if those eyeholes get in the way, it could cost you.

Like I said, it suits some styles of calling and set up better than others. You want to get cute, how about facepaint? When you want to look like war games, that's the hot ticket.

How about a ground blind? Swear to god, in a weak moment, I bought one. It's still rolled up, factory style in the bottom of my gear, never used. I can let it go cheap, ko ko?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 05:55 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...Im particular...it has to come up and be ready to go in a couple seconds, no fiddling around,no eye holes...just open, 3/4 mask with elastic around top that holds mask up just above the ears, and can't hinder eye sight in any way. Cut hole in front for mouth calling. Cut out all unnecessary straps that I don't use anyway. Gotta be light weight mesh so I can hear well.

I've tried to get away from them over the years,but it's just something I can't seem to give up?
And don't get me started on covering the hands.
Mark

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 05:58 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ground blinds! Now thats crazy. I have seen people calling with those here. Pretty silly.
Mark

Edit..i remember when I was starting out, I thought hiding inside or behind a bush was cool...until it got time to shoot.

[ June 25, 2017, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 07:30 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I never wore a hood or mask until I bought some leafy camo for local duck hunting. Most places where I hunted ducks was surrounded by blackberry brush so hiding in the bushes hurt. I could suit up, sit on a bucket and kill ducks.

I took my leafy camo out calling and wore the hood. Probably like everyone I've had coyotes run in and look me straight in the face. That stopped with the hood. I've decorated most of Northern Nevada, Eastern Oregon, parts of California and Arizona by losing a bunch of them but they're cheap at Cabelas and I always carry a few in the truck.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 05:09 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe; that a face mask might allow me to kill an extra coyote or two each season.
I believe; that a Ghillie suit might also help put an extra one or two on the ground.
I believe; pumping mist into the air can also help.
I believe; that if I were in a high dollar fur market, contest calling or doing ADC work that it would all be valid.
However; as a recreational caller, it's just more trouble than it's worth.
Trim the ZZTop standard beard back to Most Interesting Man In The World length, sit in the shade, stay still & call it good. Put the bead on it's nose and yank the trigger when it's about 30 yards out.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 06:43 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but I don't buy into misting and much of the other nonsense some silly magazine is trying to sell.

We have a vast difference of opinion about what is too much trouble. It's as easy as putting on a hat.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 07:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
MISTING, and other nonsense?

Well, we all have our mojo stuff.

But, just like wearing a mask can keep a coyote from staring you in the face, misting, done right can help your bottom line, which is more coyotes in the bed of the truck.

I don't give a shit enough to 'splain the theory, but if you are ever interested in knowing what it's all about, go to the night hunting forum, the one that is never used, and read some of my early posts on the subject.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 07:30 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And it's good that we can have a difference of opinion.
Means that we can bounce ideas back & forth and now & then pick up on a nugget.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 09:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Main thing is, if you don't hunt at night, there is not a lot of advantage in misting.

But Moe has hunted at night. Anyway, you need a night hunting rig to realize any real advantage. Because, people don't understand that "they" always go downwind. I can't help it if they shoot them before they decide to go downwind, but left to their own devices, they will go downwind, unless you shoot and miss. Then, they know which way to get out of town without checking your scent.

Prove me wrong!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 10:58 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes...Im particular...it has to come up and be ready to go in a couple seconds, no fiddling around,no eye holes...just open, 3/4 mask with elastic around top that holds mask up just above the ears, and can't hinder eye sight in any way. Cut hole in front for mouth calling. Cut out all unnecessary straps that I don't use anyway. Gotta be light weight mesh so I can hear well.

I'm right there with ya on this one Mark. I've used the same set up for as long as I can remember. Only time I use anything other is when it's nasty cold out and I'm trying to keep my nose intact. Then I wear a neck gator that can be pulled up over my nose and mouth.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 12:23 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's just getting older and not giving a shit anymore about all the extras or if I'm just getting lazy about it but anymore I just wear what I happen to have on and carry my gun and shooting sticks and calls and I really do think I kill as many coyotes now than I ever have. Reduce and Simplify.lol
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 01:04 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Im the same way really, blue jeans, usually long sleeve shirt (bland color of some kind) rifle,call and shooting sticks. If its freezing Im in some insulated coveralls of some kind, or otherwise dressed appropriately.

Thats it...but I gotta have my face and hands covered...its like a sin if I dont have that.

Mark

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 03:19 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
When it's colder weather and I'm wearing gloves I will just lift my hand to cover my face when I get one close but other than that I don't worry about it much
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2017 03:38 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
early season/ warm weather, I use the one Mark described:
 -

When its real cold, I use a Cabelas Camoskinz 3/4 mask to keep my face from freezing off.
 -

Both masks have horizontal slits cut in the mouth area for runnin' a diaphragm or open reed call. I can't argue whether a mask is needed, but they do help with bugs in the spring/fall and the insulated one is great when the temps crowd the single digits & below...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I use about the same set up as Fred.
For cold weather I use a full face mask with a hole cut for my mouth so I can spit. I chew tobacco, got to be able to spit.
I like tan or dark colors for camo. Never was one for fancy camo suits just tan bibs, dark coat and gloves. I like the old WWll style helmet liner hat or Radar hat.
I have hunted with a few guys that like to wear a big black cowboy hats, to each his own.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know why I didn't think of it? For some reason, it didn't register but I use a camo bandana. It just lies there on my chest, then I pull it up over my nose. It's easy to blow a call under it.

Works for me.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Asmith
Member # 4636

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2017 01:26 PM      Profile for Asmith   Email Asmith         Edit/Delete Post 
I to always have face mask of mesh and some sort of gloves but that's how I started out and just got comfortable with now I feel like I am missing something if I don't have them on. I get used to something and trust it just like a gun or shooting sticks anything new has to prove its self and any failure in something I try new my fault or not its usually out of truck.
Posts: 11 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2017 05:48 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
3/4 mask with elastic around the top on every stand. I start growing my beard around mid-August and keep it until the last day of February, specifically for calling camo. The mask is around my neck. I just pull it up so the backside is up on my ballcap and the front is generally just below my mouth with the sides covering my ears. The mustache tends to break up the rest. Ballcap is critical as many of our coyotes pop up and recon before advancing. I tend to keep my face angled slightly down so I'm looking out from just beneath the bill. Easy to just lower my head a bit if I'm caught off guard. Have had coyotes and deer within five feet of me where all I was seeing was their legs and feet patiently waiting for them to bolt and put some distance between us. As to camo, my go-to nowadays is called ATAC-AU which was originally developed for special forces in Afghanistan as an alternative to multi-cam. I'm a regular customer of ACU/BTU type clothes but not because of some presumed "cool factor". They have lots of well located pockets and are double layered in all the important places. Very durable.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters