The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Bob Steinberger

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bob Steinberger
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2017 06:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Bob past away yesterday?

He was more well known in the Desert Racing community than for Varmint Hunting, but he was good at that, too.

In fact, the last time I saw him was at check in east of Yuma for the last State Hunt in the history of the CSVCA.

I was first in line, with my son, and there were only 6 or 7 others in line at the appointed check in time. We had five coyotes, which was all we saw. Nobody else had more except for Bob and Rick Rebel, who were last in line. Bob threw down his tails and since it was my job to count them and announce winners, etc.

It looked like a tie, to me but we would win a tie based on our place in line. However, Bob didn't say anything, he just reached down and shook those tails and (what do you know) there was a bobcat tail hidden underneath one of those coyote tails.

So, Bob won and we placed second.

Bob moved to Quartzite, AZ shortly after his grandson drowned in his pool, so that hunt was the last time I saw him, who was called "The Weatherman" by the Baja Racers.

I knew he built radios and I once handled his spotlight. It was unusual in that (I think) it had six different buttons on it for signaling the driver. I always had a signal device, a little simpler, just a plunger button rigged up to the dash so the driver could see it as we rolled, looking for a spot to make a stand with maximum visibility. Whatever all those buttons were for, I haven't a clue? But, ol' Bob was a "techie" of the first order.

R.I.P.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2017 02:14 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like he was an interesting fella.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 05:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say we were chums, but I remember a breakfast we shared up at Montgomery Pass. We talked about the res, with which he is probably just as familiar as am I. But I had been there more recently, and filled him in. Outlook not encouraging, but then, on that State daylight hunt, we could hear shooting and suspect Steinberger was probably less than ten miles away, in a southerly direction where the border is a little over ten miles distant.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 07:45 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Bob of course. But, R.I.P.

It's another reminder that life is short. Make the best of it & stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 07:52 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
They served breakfast at Janie's Ranch ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 03:55 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
They served breakfast at Janie's Ranch ????
Yeah, breakfast and a few other things. Janie's Ranch was my first introduction to some of Nevada's finer distractions. Rick

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 05:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of what you guys speak? The restaurant I'm talking about burned down. So did the establishment across the street. I suspect a fire bug in the neighborhood? Seems like there were at least a couple cat houses, but further west, one all the way down the hill, right at the border.

You want to talk about a classy bordello, that was Ash Meadows. So classy, it was owned by Sinatra and had a landing strip. Had a genuine black madam and a half a dozen "girls" all worth a second look.

Not my style, but I was in there with my partner one time. In fact, that's where I watched Neal Armstrong step foot on the moon, just me and one of the girls were interested in history. No, I don't pay for sex.

But anywhere in Nevada, you don't have to search very hard to find a red light. The popular one close to Beatty was/is The Cottontail Ranch. I bet I've passed by there 500 times?

You know, Pat was only 18 when we started hunting up there and he wasn't much of a charmer with the ladies. So, after a hunt, Sunday morning, I had no objection to stopping at a convenient house of ill repute, so that he could get some relief.

Even if you weren't buying, there was still plenty to look at. When they marched out. Nancy didn't like hearing about it, and of course, she had girlfriends that told her she was a fool for believing my stories. Some friends?

I've got a long story about being broke down at The Lucky Strike one time. Literally, it was on the wrong side of the tracks, in Mina, NV.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ June 25, 2017, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 07:01 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
The popular one close to Beatty was/is The Cottontail Ranch. I bet I've passed by there 500 times? Been in it dozens of times...No way in hell am I driving to Nevada just to shoot a few coyotes. Plenty here in CA. My other favorites were Shari's Ranch in Pahrump, Cherry Patch Ranch both #1 and #2 in Crystal and Lathrop Wells, up North you have the Green Lantern in Ely, Donna's ranch in Wells. I have a very Funny story about what happened at the house in Mina, Joe V and Mike D were with me for that one. I should write a book. Rick's Guide To Nevada Brothel's. Of course now that I'm married (didn't marry until I was 40) I would never consider consorting with one of those high dollar sporting ladies. Rick

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2017 07:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Up in Battle Mountain, one time. I was talking to one girl while Pat was busy with the other. Then, they came out and five minutes later, he was hand in hand with the tall blonde. At that point, girl #1 told me she hoped she didn't get in trouble! The reason is that she was easy on him, didn't "sell up" like she should have. Of course, later he lied to me about what he spent, she had already told me he spent twice what he claimed.

But, the interesting thing is, both girls wanted to go hunting with us, over night. I'm kinda glad it didn't happen, gulp! Also, not sure how much hunting would get done? And, just think how much money they would miss out on; this was a Saturday night, after all. Also, they might have had a motive; Pat was hung like a donkey.

Those were the days. My friend.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 03:17 AM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob's probably up there with a big grin on his face about now. Rick

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters