The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » First called lion (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: First called lion
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 10:21 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Called in and shot a big tom while out trapping a couple days ago. Having hell with pictures again.

[ February 01, 2017, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 10:25 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

150 plus. Where there aren't any or at least not many. Surprised the hell out of me!

[ February 01, 2017, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What a cat! That is like winning the lottery! Way to go, Cal!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 11:56 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice! What did caliber did you shoot it with?
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 12:28 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Totally cool !!!!!

...............and wait 'til El Bee sees that Stormy Kromer.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 12:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice cat, Cal! I think you're right he looks like about 150, nice head too!

I've killed a couple long tails myself. My dad got one, too. I have called a couple in the daytime, but never got a shot. No doubt about it, they aren't easy, although mine were all called with some type of distress, don't even remember right now, what exactly?

Don't know what your situation was, but for those I have called, I saw them way out there and they took their time, casual, sorta direct and yet not exactly, either. Of course, no attempt to use the wind, at all. There were a couple others and one that didn't move at all, just stood on a rock.

Anyway, congratulation, Cal! You should fill us in, what you used caliber, bullet and sound. How long was the stand? As I recall, no lion came in fast, just slow and deliberate.

Lions are the ultimate, Amigo! You did good!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS what's the tag situation in Wyoming?

edit: I saw it ko ko. I got one too.

[ February 01, 2017, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 04:13 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very nice Cal.

Big cat to boot. Rug?

If you get the time, I'd love to read about how it went down.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 04:30 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--------------------

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually not too big of story. I was out doing my daily duties checking some M44s. I cut his track on one side of a small canyon and was investigating it a little. I kept hearing a chirping whistling sound across the draw and it finally got my attention enough that I paid a little more attention and I actually saw him coming up the ridge towards me. I don't think he had a clue I was there. I was standing in the open with no gun. I ducked behind the ridge I was on and beat feet for the side by side and my rifle. I snuck back and he was nowhere to be seen. I assumed he was in a cedar pocket right below me so I waited a bit. He didn't come out on his own so I called a little softly and he popped out at 60 or 80 yards. I could tell he was a decent cat so I popped him. Here we can buy a license over the counter and they run on a quota. The area I was in is an unlimited quota and I had a tag, so I was good to go. I already have a lifesize and a rugged one, but they were caught with dogs. Don't know what I'll do with this one. Tanned for sure and then I'll decide. No big secret weapon or anything, my 6 Comp Match that I've been shooting for a couple years. Plenty of gun. 87 grain Berger, no exit. Rolled to the bottom of the canyon of course so a real pain to get out. Thanks to lot's of extra rope and the UTV winch I got him.

--------------------

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 04:46 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
And a note, that is not a Stormy Kromer. It is made by King of the Mountain wool. It is a true copy of the old railroad cap that has the flaps that fold up on the inside. Stormy Kromer is a cheap imitation that has no flaps on the inside and isn't really good for anything below about 40 degrees. Just so you know.

--------------------

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 09:48 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I am jealous Cal, but I am happy for you!! I've always wanted to call one!! Way to go!! Being short-haired, is there a prime time for the fur or is it always about the same? I suppose they shed some, but have they started yet? Doesn't seem likely with all the snow?

[ February 01, 2017, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2017 10:12 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, you are not a very good cap snob. You are kind of a redneck style cap snob. Most snobs are like, "Well I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a copy Pier Cardin!" You are a little more along the lines of, "Lookee here, I gots me a genuine certified copy, railroad cap!" LOL

I remember a couple of years in a row I saw your hunting partner (Kenny I think) had one of those hats. I complemented him on it - I like 'em. Matter of fact, I think you Kenny and Huber are the only folks I've ever even seen wearing those. Must be an ADC thing?

Stormy Cromer, King of the Mountain, call it what you want...everyone knows it's really called an Elmer Fudd hat!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2017 03:59 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice cat Cal. that's a biggun for sure!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2017 05:19 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
EXCELLENT!!!
Holey crap, that is a big friggin' cat...

P.S. I have the "Bomber" cap from King of the Mountain. Its my 'go-to' lid for when it gets really cold.

Congrats, Cal!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2017 05:53 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Cal!

I've called in a few lion, on accident, on coyote stands. Never had a tag though. Or for that matter, even knew if the season was open or not. Never killed one. Closest I ever came, was one that followed me for awhile on a mule deer bow hunt. Started wishing I could hang an arrow in that one after awhile.

I've got a Kromer. Can't remember whether it was Geordie or Scott, maybe both, inspired me? Super high quality lid, but I got it just a little bit too small. Too tight. So I only wore it for a little while. Definitely wasn't what I'd consider a real cold weather lid, but I'm a pussy in the cold anymore anyway.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 02, 2017 06:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Cal is the last one you would suspect to be wearing an imitation cap. As Dave said, fitting a Stormy Kromer can be a challenge; his is tight and mine is a little too roomy, but since nobody knows, you still look like you walk the walk, for all the wannabe's out there.

Winching that cat up the side of a mountain explains the condition of the fur on the first pic. It would be nice to do something with it, if you have everything else, he would make a hell of an impressive rug.

With the chirping, you might be thinking there was another cat around; I would.

Falling down a steep grade. That is what happened many years ago. That damned cat got away, went uphill like they all do, and it's an indication of how bad they are hit. He never stepped in snow, avoided it and was extremely hard to track in the gravel. One thing I've mentioned before, if a cat, any cat goes downhill, he is mortally wounded. Their inclination is to climb, every time. That cat tumbled at least 50/75 yards, but got up and over the top before we even got to the bottom. By the time we got up there it was a lost cause, he was nowhere in sight. At the time, The AZ woolgrowers had a bounty on lions, early 70's.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2017 09:15 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, that KOTM Bomber hat will melt your friggin' head off. I don't even wear it while walking, for fear of overheating...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2017 11:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
True, I've seen it happen.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2017 12:47 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Cat Cal....
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2017 05:11 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Over the course of years I've called in and killed 3 cougars. Nothing like that one, tho.

Nice looking cat and from the looks of it you can do whatever you want with it.

I never feel a bit of remorse for killing a cougar. With that single cat you saved the lived of a bunch of deer.

Congratulations!

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2017 09:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at the king of the mountain website. They may have great products but based on their website design, I don't know if I would buy anything from them? Okay, maybe the Bomber hat, I liked that one for night hunting. The problem is you never get a real good look at their products, you see a lot of guys in hero shots, but you can't get a good look at a $400 shirt without scrolling around and even then you don't see all of it?

I guess it takes all kinds but they could learn something from Orvis or Filson, if you ask me?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2017 12:21 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice cat Cal, congrats!
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2017 04:37 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
King of the Mountain is a good wool product. I believe I handled their wool at the Harrisburg Hunting and Outdoor show in the past.

I have a wool coat made by Autumnwood Outfitters (not sure if they are still active business), and a wool vest by Sleeping Indian which is very warm.

[ February 03, 2017, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2017 06:49 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
King of the Mountain and Sleeping Indian are both high quality outfits. I have a pair of Sleeping Indian pants and a coat and they are unreal in toughness and warmth. That cap from KOM is at least 20 years old. It gets cleaned about every other year and is still warm and holding together and I wear it dang near every day in the winter.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2017 10:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very good testimonial, Cal. I'm not personally familiar with the product but it looks good....what I can see of it? That's all I am saying, I'd like to see a no gimmick photo, without a dead animal, maybe even front and back, of a jacket, pants or shirt. Their web design is poor, in my opinion.

In the meantime, I'm going to throw my Stormy Kromer hat in the trash! Just kidding, Actually, I prefer watch caps anyway. And, I mean plural, I usually wear two.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters