The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Coyotes are starting to rub (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Coyotes are starting to rub
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2017 06:52 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[ January 23, 2017, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2017 07:23 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty face though. [Big Grin]  -

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Rub, eh? Looks more like mange, to me?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 09:30 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that would make a good joke. Such goesq life with a strange sense of humor. All too often I am the only one laughing at my jokes...hardy Har har...see? That was funny...RIGHT???

--------------------

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 09:43 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
On a serious note, I hope I didn't miss any serious conversation on mange. If there was a thread I guess I can look it up. My beloved Sandhills in eastern Colorado is loaded with this crap!! It is by far my favorite place and terrain type for hunting coyotes. But I had been hunting South and Southeastern Colorado and coyotes are better but not as heavily furred.
Last month or so have been way too snowy in western Colorado for my taste. I hate Trumping (another joke) around in wet and sometimes crunchy snow for coyotes... but I bet the coyotes are gorgeous. I don't usually start after coyotes until December but I think I will start after mountain coyotes in October/November this next season. After all, it has been darn near looking like summer up in the mountains in November the last several years.

[ January 24, 2017, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 09:53 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
It was funny Danny I laughed my ass off when my slow hughes net puter finally downloaded the pic!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 10:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, that was a natural death you stumbled on?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 10:45 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I murdered it. I almost got his nekkid mate too, but I missed. It purely breaks my heart that I did too. That morning started at 4 degrees (very cold, super duper cold for furless critters) and here comes those butt nekkid coyotes... I don't usually feel sorry for them I sure did this time! I feel like I did a really bad thing by missing the female!!

Everytime we have killed coyotes over the last several years in this area, they always have a touch of mange visible. We are starting to see a lot more bad ones like this though.

How long does this caca take to run its course?

[ January 24, 2017, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 11:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be lucky? I have never killed a coyote with mange. Only seen a couple that I wasn't able to kill for some reason, like just driving or not hunting, but I could count the number on one hand.

Basically, do they come in on a string, due to cold and hunger, or are they circular and cautious?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 24, 2017, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 02:36 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about most but these 2 were racing to get there.

--------------------

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 09:00 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I read an article I was just looking for but failed to find. Apparently Sarcoptic Mange was introduced in Montana in an attempt to reduce the number of coyotes.

Back in the old days I never killed a coyote with mange but some California friends tell me that they have only recently. I have killed a mangy coyote here in Oregon.

Sarcoptic Mange is apparently very easy to spread and it has moved from where it was introduced in Montana all the way down to California.

I find it very interesting and very funny that the left's precious wolves are now being infected with mange and they're crying about it.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2017 09:45 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope that you can find that article. They introduced it?!?! That is psychotic!! Sounds about as smart as introducing kudzu to control water erosion!

I thought mange came from interaction with domestic dogs.

Is there a typical time frame for it to run its course? What IS its course? Will it eventually wipe out the population and then a new healthy population gradually move in? Or is it in this area for good?

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2017 06:27 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it is in the area for good. Some years it'll be worse and about wipe em out and then the population recovers and the process starts over. Every single mangy coyote would need to be removed from the population to stop the spread.
Between my kills and my partners kills, we've killed a few over 100 so far and about 25% had mange. Some areas have more mangy then other areas of Colorado. I killed two behind my house this year with mange and that's the first I've seen this far west with it.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2017 06:50 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen one with mange. But got the first ever reliable report of it here in Utah earlier this year.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2017 08:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That squares with my experience, Dave. I scratch my head at all the mange reports, I went many years before I even saw one. That's MANY YEARS, not exaggerating!

And then, truthfully, the few I have seen have been down along the southern border, on the res., and any of them could have been Mexican coyotes, yesterday.

I heard that the main problem in colder climates is that they tend to reuse the dens that are still infected. Besides that, being social, it doesn't take much contact to spread.

I'm not buying that Montana story. Sorry. Nor do I believe mange originated with domestic dogs.

I'll tell you who knows a few things about the subject. Cross, Geordie, or Scott Huber would be a good source too.

As far as my limited experience....I hope it stays that way!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2017 08:38 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember watching a Foxpro Furtakers episode, where Al Morris mentioned that mange was introduced by gov't in hopes of controlling coyote #s...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2017 08:38 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots-o-mange here in some of my areas. I jumped one last year walking thru some high grass, about 5 feet from me, that was so pathetic Im sure he was suffering horribly. I did him a favor.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 25, 2017 08:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not good enough for me, Fred?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2017 07:14 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco,

I started calling eastern CO in 1986 or 87. This was before the mange and the Fox Pro Army. Really high quality white short furred coyotes at that time. Some of the best calling I ever experienced. Kept seeing coyotes crossing I-76 while heading to the Denver Stock Show so had to head back and partake. Actually called the same area during the Midwest until it became overhunted just like everywhere else. Glad to have had the opportunity to hunt there when it was still good hunting.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2017 07:19 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

Sorry to say, if you have a good population of coyotes, it's just a matter of time.

Mange knocked the hell out of the coyotes in SD in early to mid 00's. Heavy mange now in KS and CO. Some in WY but not as much where I was at due to thinner populations.

~SH~

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2017 09:16 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the pinkish color between the hind legs and on the belly an indicator of mange?

The guy who used to buy whole coyotes from me seemed to think so. But than again, he would dick around for 10 minutes over 5 bucks.

If the pink belly thing is a symptom of mange, I've never seen it manifest into something like what Loco posted above in these parts anyway.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2017 04:24 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
In many cases mange does show up first between the hind legs as a pinkish color and a lot of times in the hackle area at the top of the back thinning the hair out there. To say for sure that the pinkish color between the legs is always mange and not something else on occasion would be difficult to say for sure.

From between the legs it usually ends up running down the hind legs and seems to work forward from there. Sometimes coyotes look like lions when all they have for fur is what is on their head.

~SH~

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2017 04:39 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Scott.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2017 06:44 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
We do the biggest part of our calling around cattle operations anymore by producer request and invite and, of course, we see a lot of mange. Everything from a small bald patch to fully denuded of all hair. Out of 100 coyotes this year, I was only able to put up a couple dozen. The rest went in a pit or were left where they died. One of the last furbuyers in this area has always severely docked coyotes with any pink between the legs, citing mange as his concern. I sell my coyotes to Petska's and they don't seem concerned about it. Had 16 put up and he graded them by giving each a snap as he assessed the back of the pelt. Never turned a single one over. Gave me a $27 on those and $22 average of six more a couple weeks later. Our numbers make it sound like mange is rampant where I'm at. Like I said, we're spending the bulk of our time helping farmers keep the coyotes off their cattle. We no longer have a rendering operation that comes thru and hauls deads off, so a lot of guys just mulch them or dump them in a pit. The state gives each producer the green light to dispose up to a certain number which they guesstimate when they apply for the okay and have their dumpsite approved. Hunting around these areas is just going to produce a lot of mangy coyotes. Talking with the dog wagon guys who don't get asked to hunt our areas and they're telling me most of what they're killing are pretty decent with little mange. Too bad they're too torn up to command a decent price from the buyers.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2017 07:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, your buyer sees pink between the legs and doesn't want your hides because mange?

I don't get it? An otherwise prime pelt is declined over that? There must be more to it?

I really have a hard time with the "introduction" of mange, theory. If true, that's a real chickenshit method of coyote control. But, I don't believe it.

A number of years ago, they were arial dropping bait in Texas, but I think the purpose was control, something like PARVO or distemper or rabies.

Another thing, I am not any type of expert on these things but, I seem to recall that the entry location was the same as for fleas, the base of the tail, top side.

But, if somebody thought they could control coyotes by introducing mange, that's a stupid strategy. Hey, why not introduce a sure thing: rabies? or black plague? (I'm kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters