The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Had a really fun week out west (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Had a really fun week out west
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 05:37 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
UTcaller,

Is that a Timberline sheep camp? If so I have been looking at one of those for a while? Look like a great set up. How is staying in one?

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 05:52 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Brent, No its a Wilson made in Midway Utah. They are great. Have stayed in it in below zero weather and it will stay as warm as you like it. And it stays relatively cool when its hot out. Its pretty basic but very efficient. Has a queen sized upper bed and a double sized slide out bed. A small refrigerator/freezer, a small stove/oven ran off propane, a wood burning stove, a slide out table with bench seats on each side. Has 110 and 12 volt plugs. Solar panels that recharge the batteries. Definitely a sweet setup.

http://www.wilsoncamps.com/camps.html

Good Hunting Chad

[ September 27, 2016, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 07:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That rig seems very efficient, and you cannot discount the nostalgia angle, at least for me? I have seen those things for many years and never given them a second thought, who makes them, where do you get them, etc.

How about a ballpark $ figure, moderately equipped?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 07:51 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Ours was about $18-19,000. But that was about 7 or 8 years ago.
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 08:05 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the type I see a lot of...

-

[Big Grin]

Have always thought though, that a modern one like Chad's, would be "the" way to go, if a fella was going to drag a trailer around for this kind of stuff.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 08:13 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really cool Dave. [Smile]

We don't really take it into really rough places although it is definitely designed to. With the Chassis the way it is. But you can't back it up with a truck to save your ass.lol

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 09:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that certainly occurred to me; bet that's a bitch to back up?

As far as seeing them out on the prairie, if you ask me, they are more common along the western edge of Nevada.

But, for me, always incognito, I bet you could park this rig anywhere out on the flats and it would never get a second look.

The last thing anyone would think of would be a hunter.

Really cool!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 09:35 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That's totally true Leonard. Where it gets really funny is when you stop to get fuel EVERYBODY and I do mean EVERYBODY stares at you when you pull in. You can almost read there minds. " What in Gods name is that contraption". lol We do have alot of people come over and ask us about it. Lots of Big Game hunters look at it and think they want one until you tell them how much the cost.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, those hero shots, if I didn't know better, every face seemed to be in deep shadows, like to prevent recognition. Except for the big dog. Is that Chad?

Seems like the axle setup is primarily for stability and independence, such as when having tandem axles and then you need to jack up the tongue so it won't rock and roll.

Funny thought. You say everybody stares at you pulling into a gas station. I bet you have to be extremely careful not to embarrass yourself getting out of tight quarters by backing out.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 10:22 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just my ugly mug......But yes it can be embarrassing and alittle stressful at times when pulling into a gas station especially when there are alot of people getting gas too. [Roll Eyes]

[ September 27, 2016, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 10:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, if you click on that link to Wilson, also click on the one called history, up at the top. Explains the evolution of sheep wagon s and sheep camps. At least I thought it was interesting.

Also the info about the sheep dog trials at Soldiers Hollow.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2016 03:54 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

Thanks, I have been looking at Timberlines and will take a good look at Wilson from here on out. The wife and I have been considering getting one for awhile. They look to be far better built than anything else on the market and excellent for hunting and trapping out of.

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2016 04:15 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah they are pretty nice. You can easily drive 70 mph on the freeway with them, and they are designed to go through some pretty rugged washes and gullies. We don't beat it by any means but I know a few sheep men here that do and they hold up very well.

Good Hunting Chad

WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2017 12:04 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two sheep camps, I keep one on each sheep trail I work. One is a Wilson and one is an old Timberline. Between the two I’m sleeping in a sheep camp over 200 nights a year for the last six years. I can highly recommend them for those wanting to get their camp off the beaten path. In my opinion the Wilson is a little better rig than the Timberline.

At the Trailing of the Sheep Festival a couple years ago I climbed in a brand new Timberline, not one of their fancy ones, a base model “Legend” and was a bit underwhelmed. Many of the features that made these things so rugged and last so long on sheep operations is no longer incorporated, instead its mostly mass produced RV parts in a sheep camp frame. You can’t be on any rural highway in the Great Basin during hunting season without seeing these things behind hunter’s rigs and Timberline has really catered to that market. It seems construction is now more geared to the weekender than the sheepherder. The Wilson line is a lot more impressive for hard use.

I have one with a highway chassis and one with a wagon chassis, I hate pulling the wagon chassis on asphalt. It’s smooth and straight right up until it’s not. I haven’t had a wreck yet, but most every sheepman I know seems to have a good story about pulling a wagon chassis camp a little too fast. I hate pulling the highway chassis rig up mountain switchbacks so pick your poison for your use.

For you guys wanting one but not wanting to pay the exorbitant price these things are selling for, watch the northern California sheep outfits. Liberal ideology about grazing is killing what’s left of all those historic sheep trails and those guys are selling out all too often. If the camps go to auction, it seems they sell for more than double what they’re worth because people are stupid over them these days. But generally they can be bought right off the ranch for a fair price.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2017 08:42 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you guys happen to run across a used camp, I have been looking for one for years. I would drive a long ways for the right deal.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2018 01:09 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go Loco.......
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 07:47 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chad I know we talked about your Wilson Camp once before and looked at them and almost pulled the trigger on one. Was concerned with their hay wagon pulling arrangement. How does it pull at interstate speeds? I was concerned about it fish tailing bad?
Great job on the coyotes.

Thank Brent

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 10:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a comment about auctions, in general. People are stupid, too competitive, unwilling to lose, unwilling to allow someone a good deal. I have never been to an auction where bidders behaved intelligently. One time, my stupid brother in law bid against me. I never forgot it. But that's auctions, people got to have it, won't give up. These guys think they are victorious, while paying way over what the item is worth, which is the definition of stupidity.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 11:10 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Brent,
Yeah it’s definitely designed to go into some rougher places like washes and such. But it does very well on the interstate, doesn’t have any problems with fishtailing. Usually pull it with a Cummins Diesel and we drive 65-70 mph. Only thing is it likes to push the truck alittle when it’s a steeper grade. Ask my brother though and he wishes it had a tandem axle. You can’t back the damn thing to save your ass. I think You can have it made either way though.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 06:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He who shall not be named wrote, complaining that Chad has been wearing that "lucky" blue plaid shirt for years. See, that's why he's banned.

Good hunting. El Bee

that's a hell of a nice dog coyote

edit:  -

[ October 23, 2018, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 08:08 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] [Big Grin] Shot one just a bit smaller than that one last year in the World Contest that Won Big Coyote weighing right at 45 lbs......

Good Hunting Chad

[ October 24, 2018, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters