The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Montana Doggin with Al and Jeff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Montana Doggin with Al and Jeff
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 07:23 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer Al Morris and Jeff Writer brought their decoy dogs out here to hunt coyotes with me. We had a blast and managed to have quite a bit of success. Both those guys are a ton of fun to hunt with. They even managed to call one in and have the dogs work it close enough that even I could hit one. Heck, I even got entertained by the Al Morris Dance of Love at the end. I don't know how to embed a video on this site or if it's even possible, so here is a link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkZShg7kco

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 08:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks almost too easy!

I have seen Higgins with his dog Mattie. She would get real close, almost seem like the coyote was about to nip her then turn and chase the coyote, same thing, over and over. I don't think he cared much about killing them, and wouldn't be surprised if they engaged the same coyotes on different days?

Thanks for sharing.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 09:00 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
When it works it is almost too easy. The trouble is that it doesn't always work. We had far more coyotes turn tail and run than work the dogs. Which is incredibly frustrating, especially with hard chargers. When they would work the dogs though something always died.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 09:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you mention it, I have seen quite a lot of the , turn tail and run when seeing a dog.

You know, down on the "res" they have some freewheeling feral dogs that run in groups. a number of times, dogs come to the call from one direction, coyotes from another. Mostly, they both turn around and skedaddle. Probably are well acquainted?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 05:26 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen it done this way before. It works, all the better. Good going. What did he hit the coyote with?

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 06:34 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Frank you referring to the sound or the caliber?
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 12:35 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like alot of fun. Thanks for posting
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 03:04 AM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what caliber he was shooting. It was a "bang-flop" shot which is what I like to see. My guess is range was around 100 - 150 yds?

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 06:04 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, he was me, and I was shooting a 22-250. If I remember right the shot was only about 75 yards.
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 01:25 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff. I've never done anything like shown in the video, but I don't think I could ever get tired of watching a dog bring a coyote into the kill box. For a deal like, this I would be happy to just be an observer.

Like Frank, I also thought the range was at least 150 yards and if you would have said 200, I would have believed you.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2016 05:06 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
It may have been 125 yards, honestly I don't remember. It wasn't any further than that. It wasn't too far. I do like the way it piled up though. [Smile]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters