The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » New shotgun thread... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New shotgun thread...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Whats your favorite?

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The one I sold!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31471 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 12:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The one I can't afford.

[Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 12:13 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever Cal is using.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 03:37 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I've shot a 870 for damn near 40 years and loved it. Everything from upland game, to waterfowl, to Coyotes. For most Coyote hunting it did fine. But since I went to my Benelli M2, I realize there's really no comparison. That M2 can flat spit them out. And I think it is damn near perfect for shotgunning Coyotes. Especially with an extended magazine.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1619 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 03:47 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Chad has my choice. A Bennelli M2 is the way to go for me.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 03:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's the consensus, Chad. All the big players swear by the Benelli. I don't own one, I can't bring myself to cough up two grand when my 835 seems to do an okay job. I'm trying to think, right now? I believe I bought this Mossberg when I lived in La Puente, over 41 years ago? The serial # is in the 4,000 range, so it was/is one of the originals. I'm comfortable with it, it works fine, but admittedly, I haven't made the switch like Chad where I can see what I'm missing. When I win the LOTTO, maybe?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: oh, the one I sold. a Remington 11-47 but only has a 2 3/4" chamber. Otherwise, a neat gun. I "think" it has the same type of recoil system as a Benelli? The guy that bought it is willing to sell it back and I really feel like recovering it.

[ April 27, 2016, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 01:28 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
This one...

-

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 04:15 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
^^^me likey!!!^^^

Only shortcoming of my 26" bbl'ed SBE is that there's no readily available shorter length barrels for it.
Been looking for a used M1/M2 shorty, just not hard enough to actually get one. Jimzy's Super 90 is about exactly what I'd want to find...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 05:22 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running a Benelli M1 21" barrel and prefer a pistol grip stock with a dot sight as well.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 28, 2016 05:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sooo embarassed! My 835 has a wood stock, and it actually "looks" like wood. Hardly legal, ain't it?

The thing is, when we Nimrods sally forth in the piney woods, we really have to look the part, and a black gun IS the uniform of the day, no getting around it. If you got it, flaunt it. Says jealous LB.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 08:04 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to say which is a favorite. I bought one of the original Bennelli Super Black Eagles and regretted it right off the bat. For one the safety was inside the trigger guard at the back and when I fired the shotgun the recoil would cause the safety to dig into the flesh on my social finger. One day I was shooting geese and happened to look at the finger and could see white bone. I still have a scar.

Another problem was that it patterned 1 1/2' ft left and 1 1/2' low. I called Bennelli USA and they said, "Gee. Too bad." Then I called Briley Chokes to see what they could do. They could correct the problem by manufacturing a choke for me but it was $150 per choke. I sold the gun to a guy who wanted to rebarrel it anyway.

I picked up a Winchester SuperX2 and have had great results with it. I also have a Browning Gold hunter that is light weight. I've killed a bunch of ducks, geese, quail, pheasaants, chukar and Hungarian partridge with every shotgun I own. I primarily shoot the SuperX2 at coyotes but only because it's the only shotgun I have set up with a sling.

BTW....Bennelli has improved their customer service since I had problems with mine. The company corrected the safety in the trigger guard issue since I wasn't the only one to complain. When I contacted Bennelli USA they had no spare parts here in the US. Now they do and they are far more responsive.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 09:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's probably the first serious knock I have ever read about any Benelli? What's good to know is to be very careful on gun show purchases, etc.

Wouldn't you think the safety issue would have been discovered in research and development? That's unfathomable?

If a shotgun patterned that far off point of aim, (for lack of a better word) wouldn't somebody suspect a barrel that had been run over by a truck? I would.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 11:32 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
It is uncommon, but not unheard of for any brand of shotgun to not hit point of aim. I asked a world champion skeet shooter about it and what to do if you got one. He said simply to trade it off as there is no easy fix.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 12:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, easiest solution but hardly honest. I would pester the manufacturer and at least purchase a new barrel at discount. I was once burned at a gunshow, the rifle had a bulge in the chamber I only discovered when I extracted the empty case. That event kind of soured me on buying a firearm at a gun show.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 07:17 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to correct something I said. The safety was in front of the trigger inside the trigger guard at the top. When the gun was fired the sharp edge of the safety would dig into my finger. On a cold day it hurt like hell.

Also, the Bennelli SBE was brand new in America and this was one of the very first ones. There were no parts available. They would've had to send me a brand new gun. Back then I was hearing a lot of complaints from other SBE owners and apparently so was Bennelli.

I've hunted waterfowl with Bennelli owners with the newer guns and they shot where they were supposed to and functioned properly. I don't know about the new guns but the original SBE wasn't gas operated. That's what attracted me. Most gas operated semi autos gum up in cold damp weather causing the gun to stop cycling properly. My SuperX2 doesn't do that.

And about the gun shooting left and low...I took the gun to the trap, skeet and sporting clays club in Gervais to use their pattern board. While I was there I asked some other shooters to pattern the gun. All with the same results. One of the guys was Des Young who is a popular TV celebrity here in the Northwest. He hosted a show called Hunting With Hank and Des and Dash. He travels to pheasant shooting facilities and gives them some publicity. Nice man and a pretty damn good skeet shooter.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 07:33 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know what Leonard, I was using a 30" 1100 prior to acquiring that Benelli. A friend of mine proposed a deal I couldn't pass up, and that's how the M1S90 came to live with me. Truth be known, I'd lusted after an M4 for years prior, and I don't think you can get one in black.

[ April 28, 2016, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: jimanaz ]

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 04:26 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd LOVE to see a ~20" barrel become available for the SBE/SBE2. Possible that Benelli fears the sales of the M-series 3" semis would suffer, if they did so?
Have toyed with the idea of having an SBE barrel cut down & re-threaded for chokes, but the barrels cost more than many pump shotguns! Just don't make sense to do it...

Leonard, dunno how ya do it with an 835. I had one as my first turkey gun, and even with the ported factory barrel and a ported Kick's choke, that fucker would rattle ya teeth loose with 3.5" shells!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 05:12 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
A few things about the Bennellis that most of you probably know. They aren't gas operated. Inertia driven. So as Moe pointed out they aren't as prone to quit running when it's bitter cold or they get dirty. The other major benefit of they way Bennellis run is that the shell in the chamber is easily unloaded without another one automatically loading from the magazine. Very important when there is aircraft involved, and pretty handy all the time. I've had some other shotguns, but none I liked as well. I even had a Remington 550. I've been told Remington didn't make a model 550, but thats what mine was. It was an 1100 that worked about half the time.

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 06:53 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

Yep those Bennellis are tuff. Thinking about getting one this year...maybe.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 07:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I never said that cheap Mossberg didn't kick with 3 1/2" shells. Maybe that's the real reason I quit using them? I convinced myself that Winchester doubleXX 3" #4Buck worked good enough.

I have a Rem 11-87 SP, bought new, oh, actually won it, but never mind. in damned near 20 years, I have hardly cleaned it and it has never failed, admittedly, almost exclusively dove and quail loads. It's black, with a factory sling. I don't think I ever fired buckshot in it? I'm a fairly reliable 17/25 shooter.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: but, what about my question? that 11-47 I used to own was recoil operated; just like a Benneli, correct? I'm going to get that sucker back!

[ April 29, 2016, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 09:30 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I have zero complaints with my Benelli. It shoots and ejects every time I pull the trigger. whether it's clean or dirty and kills whatever I'm shooting at very consistantly. I was told that it would not cycle 1 oz trap loads so the first thing I did was go out and buy some 1 oz. trap loads. Shot a box of them never missed a beat.

I think Benelli and Beretta are the same Company now, maybe that's why alot of the bugs got worked out.

I have been doing some serious looking for a Beretta 390, just because. [Razz] They are pretty hard to come by anymore,
At least for a reasonable price.

I too had a 550 Remington like Cal, bought it in about 1981 or 82. used it for about a year,went back to the old trusty 870 troubles went away immediately.

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 29, 2016, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1619 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 02:03 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing about the SBE 1. You can load 4 with the magazine plugged for two.
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 02:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a rebel on that issue, as well. Just like I fail to see why we can't use 30 round, or 20 round magazines in AR's. Same thing on game birds. It's not that I need it, I could really care less, but I feel that Fish and Game uses that regulation in an aggressive and punitive manor. Probably every year, in every state, somebody is busted because they forgot to install the damned plug. I remember, one year, in a particularly hot location, at an unfortunate time. This guy was a Captain in the California Fish and Game, a Warden. He had a home made gadget made from a piece of garden hose which he jammed into tube magazines, and if it went in too far, I guess he was prepared to write a ticket. There were somewhere around 30-40 guys almost shoulder to shoulder. He didn't write any tickets but he sure interfered at a productive time of the morning. You can say I have an attitude but my opinion was shear harassment. Everybody had a license and everybody had a plugged shotgun. BFD.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Mert Bargenquast
Member # 772

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 05:17 AM      Profile for Mert Bargenquast           Edit/Delete Post 
I had my SBE cerecoated and it works in adverse cold conditions. Lub not required.

--------------------
Mert Bargenquast

Posts: 40 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters