The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Mr. Cal Taylor....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mr. Cal Taylor....
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2016 02:44 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably way behind the curve, but I just now watched your Furtakers episode. You're a man of few words, yet there were many nuggets to glean. I'm glad Al wasn't there to fill in the exit interviews (no offense intended). Question...do you locate after daylight regularly? I'm scared to do it, for fear of getting busted. That episode had some of the best behavioral demonstrations I've seen caught on video. Coyotes lose their mind when dogs are brought into the picture. It's something you have to see to believe, and there were some very good glimpses in the video.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2016 03:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Question...do you locate after daylight regularly? I'm scared to do it, for fear of getting busted.
That's interesting! It's also been my attitude for many years. If you are supposedly "locating" then I think it's a mistake to not sit down and make a stand out of it, with gun in hand. I have seen too many times when an inquiring type of howl brings a runner right into your lap, with your pants down. That's if I were conducting it as strictly locating, (ie: not set up with wind direction and approach lanes covered) and intending to lazily wait around for several minutes with my finger up my nose, just listening for a response. Not this kid.

Very good point, Jimbo.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2016 08:09 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, I do locate a lot. But this is mostly summertime stuff and I'm far enough from where I "think" they are that I don't usually get busted. It's a valuable tool that time of year. The rest of the year it's hit or miss and they can be anywhere as you guys all know.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2016 12:45 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I will locate Coyotes throughout the day all year long. Don't feel like I get busted when they answer back.Just killed a pair this past Friday after locating them with a Group howl from the truck.It was probably 9:30-10:00 am. They lit up, grabbed my rifle and caller, stayed in the Cedars and started to close the distance from where I heard them. There was a nice sage brush clearing. Sat down and lone howled, sat there for about 5 minutes then used coyote pup distress and had a pair come in. Killed the male at 150 yards then the female at about 300 yards.Doesn't happen that way all the time but enough to not let me worry about getting busted locating throughout the day.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1622 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2016 07:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I mention, my hearing's so bad that listening for a response is wishful thinking. The good news is; it can't get much worse.

Oh, and it's nice to have my son to do the listening for me.

There was the time I pulled into a dry wash with lots of canopy with the intention of catching a little nap. Not asleep yet, I actually heard a coyote threat barking and carefully stood up in the hatch. There was a coyote right next to my rear bumper, indignantly huffing, puffing and scratching. And, not bothering to look up. I killed him and he never knew what hit him.

Another time, I strung a hammock in the shade, in a grove, right by a stock pond, which technically, is illegal in Arizona. I had my trusty 6MM leaning against the trunk next to my head. There were two other guys farting around the hasty campsite but I heard a coyote making lots of noise, behind cover from any of us. So, I got up and shouldered the rifle because I could just barely see his back legs scratching, about thirty yards away. As I lip squeaked, he suddenly shut up and peered around the brush, just exposing his head and shoulders, looking right at me. It was beautiful. Boom!

So, I do hear a howl every now and then.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2016 04:44 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input. That makes perfect sense. I know as much about summertime calling as I do about night calling. I can't imagine trying to draw a bead with sweat running in my eyes. I used to locate for contests and still do sometimes in unfamiliar areas, but only when the Sun is down. I know it works, but practically, is of little use to me because of my AO.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters