The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » I wonder what it is like?? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I wonder what it is like??
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 07:32 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
This morning we are experiencing a weather anomaly: fog. While walking the dog in the fog this morning I was wondering what it would be like to call in such weather. It happens so seldom here in the southwest deserts, I would have to hunt every day for three years to get one morning hunt in fog.

I can imagine such issues as hiding the truck and sneaking in wouldn't be an issue. However, being quite would probably be even more important. The fun part would be they wouldn't be able to see the hunter until the hunter could see them. It sure would make for good some shotgunning.

[ February 01, 2015, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan. It seems counterproductive from my point of view and the animals are not thrilled, either. Yeah, you have to hunt out of it, but thankfully, it gets burned off.

There is an area up I-5 past Bakersfield that seems to get more than it's share of fog, don't know why? I don't have a good way of dealing with fog...unless it's associated with snow. That's a different puppy, seems to stimulate the critters?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 09:10 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan either. We got a lot of fog up here, which is weird because were technically a desert.

January is by far the worst. I can't tell ya how many foggy days we just had. I'm guessing @ least 20 this past month ?

Yes, I used to call in it. It does create kind of a spooky mysterious atmosphere. I can remember a few times where crows were squaking away, they might have followed a coyote ? Dunno

Couldn't see anything. Yeah I would guess if you could get one up close it would be exciting for sure. It just seems to me the odds are stacked against ya ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
Isn't that the Tule Fog that you referred to ??
Weird stuff.
So thick that you can barely see past the hood of the truck........but if you look straight up you can see stars at night.
People die in that stuff.
Driving along at freeway speeds plus on a nice clear night, drop down into a slight low spot and visibility suddenly goes from miles to yards.
Some kind of Calif. thing. Bad Mojo. [Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 12:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's what they call it.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 01:03 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Learn something new everyday. I've always liked hunting on overcast days versus sunny days. I just felt foggy would be as good as or even better than overcast days.

Thanks for the good advice. Doubt I'll ever need it, but I just full of useless information.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 01:50 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, fog throws a couple extra curves into the equation. Of course, there's the visibility, and I always remind myself that anything that compromises my ability to see does the same thing to coyotes, so you pretty much set up and always conduct yourself like the coyotes are right on top of you. And, of course, you are always dialed down for close shots (I'm talking visibility of thirty yards or so). But, also, fog tends to really mess with your sound. Mutes it at range and seems to almost scatter it out a bit. I'll stick with low sounds like a fog horn (jacks) to get penetration beyond where I can see. Thick fog makes things awfully quiet even in places you can usually hear traffic or cattle in the distance on a clear day. My old hound running days taught me that high humidity and fog (esp) tend to carry and hold scent better, so any precautions you take to prevent them from smelling you need to be doubled down.

Like wind, snow, extreme sudden cold or heat, the first day of any big change in local conditions usually means there's no sense in going out as it seems to throw them for a loop, too. Three days of any condition and a coyote has to eat. They get hungry and used to it by then.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 02:52 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in tule fog central. Im 45 minutes north of Bakersfield. I hunt the I5 corridor LB mentioned. It is my main coyote calling stomping grounds. This morning was no exception, it was pretty thick, but burned off quick.

I drive to work everyday in it...so thick you can only see 1 line in the road right in front of your hood. Sometimes 0 visibility. You are forced to drive 10-20-30 miles per hour, sometimes slower in super bad spots, and you still feel like your going way to fast. You roll your window down at intersections to listen for other cars. There are some roads, mostly small country roads, that have very faded lines on em, and disappear in the fog as your driving, causing you to lose your way a bit and sometimes realize..."hey..Im driving on the dirt, where the telephone poles are". You better get your bearings fast. You must have your lights on (dim) so others can see you, but never fails...some people dont and you dont see them till you damn near go head on..freakin crazyness.

Its all caused by a nice sunny day (or half day) during winter, the ground moisture gets heated up just right,and that night and next moring it is THICK. Sometimes it lasts all day, but normally will burn off by noonish. Many, many wrecks and always a few fatalities this time of year because of it.

So, calling in the fog...personally I love it. I do get shut out a lot because of it, as the older I get, the less risk I take driving in it at 4 in the morning to get to my coyote places(although I drive to work in it, but I have to) Its just brutal on those tiny country roads out there with NO painted lines at all. Ive driven off into a small canal before in the fog headed out calling. But, when I do get out there, calling in the fog can be awsome. Talk about shotgun stands...thats what you need. A rifle does no good, even though I like close snap shots with a rifle and do well at it, a shotgun is way better. Its one of the reasons I started packing one years ago for coyotes. When visibility is 5-10 yards, its fast shooting for sure. Ive always had real good luck calling coyotes in thick fog, they seem emboldened by it almost. Its cool to see them appear like a ghost out it.

I usually use handcalls when it's thick, making real short series of calls, because it is so quiet, I like to listen in between series, you can often times hear them running in on you, paws pounding the dirt, and it gives you a few seconds to get your gun up and ready, and maybe yourself turned and pointed in the right direction. Its not always like that obviously, but often. If Im using an e caller, its real close to me, usually right in front of me at arms length, pretty much in my lap.

Last few years, I have taken to carrying my GPS with me on coyote stands when its thick. Even in very familiar areas, which are flat, and featurless here, it is real easy to start walking back toward where you think your truck is, and be so far off that you are completeley turned around. Very annoying.
Fog is fun stuff.

Mark

[ February 01, 2015, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LoneDude;
I used to bowfish carp in a canal in that area, almost under the freeway. I think that it was where 41 crosses, but I could be wrong about the # and I don't have a decent Calif. map handy. It's been a long time since I was in there. The last time I went thru, I was amazed at how it had been built up with businesses & such.
There was nothing at all there when we first started canoeing it........long time ago.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2015 06:36 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
41, 43, and 46, also Utica. They all cross or merge with I5. Wasco and Lost Hills are out in that area.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 02:27 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It was Lost Hills.

--------------------

Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 07:28 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Lone Howl
Been there,done that. Raised in the Hanford/Lemoore area.

Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 07:52 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey www, pretty cool. Wyoming has got to be a bit better?

Koko, that area has changed a lot!

[ February 02, 2015, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 02, 2015 08:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New HuntmastersBBS.com, www. Glad to have you on board.

Interesting, registered in September 2011, first post February 2015. A man of few words, apparently?

Anyway, all this talk of Lost hills, Buttonwillow, Anderson's split pea soup, etc. etc. in many ways, it's just "flyover" country for me, while making the long drive up I-5.

And, to say "it's changed" does not begin to describe it. What was once mixed prairie and agriculture, now has offramps and gas stations at least every 50 miles. Does anybody even remember how we used to get from LA to SF?

There is one place and I can't recall the name, just XX miles north of Bakersfield where there is an ARCO station on the west side that has 24 pumps! Imagine that? I have seen the time that cars were lined up for almost five miles to exit, south for that ARCO station. Holiday weekends on I-5, if you haven't been there, are impossible to understand. Put it this way, there is no speed limit.

How's that for progress?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 11:19 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
lol Anderson split pea soup. Went there when I was young with my grandparents. I think its still there?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 02, 2015 11:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and since I am a dinosaur; I remember when it was a VanDeCamps restaurant. That's the reason why they have the windmill.

Actually, the food's not too bad, and it's endless pea soup. But, they are counting on the traveler wanting to get back on the road, so a second bowl wastes time, you know? Probably overpriced, too but they get you in and out when you are traveling. Extensive trinket shop. In other words, I stop there probably once a year. I ate there over Thanksgiving weekend. Don't remember if it was coming or going?

Also, Harris Ranch which is decidedly pricy; but good. And, I hope you aren't in a hurry because they aren't.

Since daughter lives in Marin, we used to fly once in a while but now, that's like a tooth extraction, so I prefer driving.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hell................If you're that close, why not treat yourself and just go to Solvang ??
German pastries to die for. [Cool]
And gift shops that actually carry quality merchandise rather than the Made in China souvenirs in most places.

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 07:13 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Solvang, was there last year for the first time in many years.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 08:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody is turned around? Solvang is on the friggin' coast and that's not the best way to get to SF from LA.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 01:47 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A minor detour.
Take the road less traveled............
You're not lost if you don't care where you are.

My idea of driving from L.A to The Gay Bay would include lunch at Solvang and camping overnight on Donner Pass. Other points unknown to be visited as the spirit moves.
My favorite phrase when traveling; "I wonder where this road goes ??"

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 03:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
When you are on a motorcycle the coast is the 'only' way to go !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 07:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right. Did I ever tell you the time me and a buddy had a weekend pass from Fort Ord? No money, but wanted to hitchhike to LA? Via the coast road?

Well, that's just for daytime, sightseeing type travel, nobody goes that way after dark. We got as far south as Big Sur and were lucky to get back for reveille Monday morning. Even if Bronson on a bike came by, did us no good whatsoever.

That was among the dumbest stunts I ever pulled. (there have been plenty, for sure)

Good hunting. El Bee

PS the way koko drives to SF for Thanksgiving, he would even miss the leftovers. He's starting to worry me.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 07:14 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, registered in September 2011, first post February 2015. A man of few words, apparently?

One finger typing takes a while [Smile] [Smile]

[ February 03, 2015, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: www ]

Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 07:14 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even if Bronson on a bike came by,
Hey I remember that TV show.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 07:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to worry El Bee............Everywhere I go / There I am !! [Cool]

All of my life I've seen people race up the freeway to get someplace.
Then they turn around and race back down the freeway to get back to where they started.
Their idea of a good trip is `It was a long drive but I made really good time`. [Eek!]
Sad.......because they missed out on everything in between.
These people go by many names, but are usually called.......(drum roll).........Californians.

If I leave for a quick morning hunt or an afternoon fishing trip, I usually tell my wife "If I'm not back in three days, avenge my death". [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters